ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault has my car to sort the 4k rattle

Just dropped my car off at my local Renault dealer to sort out the 4k rattle on the exhaust. It has been driving me mad and they ordered in the part for me to be fitted today. If this is not fixed then I will leave it and buy an exhaust to cure the problem !

It is all being done under warranty even though it is in its last year. There was talk that this was only covered in the 1st year of your warranty ?

What is the bet that the 4k rattle will still be there when I pick up the car 2nite after the grease monkeys have been booting it around in my car all day !?!?!!??!!?!?!?!

:devilish:

Actually, to be fair I am lucky as I have a good Renault dealer who have always sorted any problems I have had with my Clios.

Renault Laguna Coupe

As long as they replace the centre section it should go away. This gives you about 6 months to save for an aftermarket exhaust, as the new bit will be no better than the old! Fair enough though, if it goes again I guess Renault would have to fix it again.

I have the money to get an exhaust now but I am having trouble finding a quiet, hidden exhaust that is still going to give me power gains. My problem is that I do not want a visible, LOUD exhaust unless I cut away part of my bumper.

I am not sure if the exhaust I want even exists !

:confused:

K Tec do a nice hidden one, wouldnt think that it would be quiet tho ;)

Ive put up with the 4k rattle for a year now and its high time I did something about it coz its driving me mad!!!!.......Magnex in the next week or so!! :D

You girl racer you Viv ! LOL !

;)

I have seen the K-Tec but it is LOUD ! Too loud for what I want ! I will be checking out all the cars at the Curborough trackday on Thursday for inspiration !

RIGHT............

Just picked up my car ! Good news..... the 4k rattle has gone ! Woohoo !

....Now for the bad news ! Whenever I put the power down now and lift off, I get a vibration coming from the gear stick, especially when in 2nd gear and if I push the gear stick to the left or if I have my hand on the gear stick ! WHAT THE F**K ?!?!?!!?!? I have noticed this before it went in today but now it is much worse than before !

Any ideas what the hell this is !??!?!?!?!?!!

:cry:

Nobody else had this problem then ? I must have found a new problem with 172s ?

Anybody ? Please ? Pretty please ? Cherries on top ?

Just been out in the car to try and locate the problem. It only happens when in 2nd gear above 4000rpm. It is vibrating against something, any ideas on what it could be ? Anyone ?

172 cup TT

alreet bud.. sorry no help with your new problem.. but have you considered going to powerflow or somewhere and getting one specially made?.. im having mine in there very soon to have a 206 180 styleee put on raised into bumper with surround thingie... nice...oh and i want something only VEERYYY SLIGHTLY louder than standard - literally the same but beefier

hope you sort your prob soon

Nice

Floodie, that sounds like what I am after mate, how much is that costing ?

welsh, do you think that is what it could be ? It only happens in 2nd too.

Could well be, its probably a cable change box, not sure nebver had a Renault before and not looked yet. But wether its rods or cables then there will be some movement in the mechanism and perhaps it is touching only when you are in second. Try looking under the car or bonnet and get someone to change gear and see what moves.

Ph1

Ive had a backing off type rattle from new. It comes in at 41mph and at 51mph. only at those speeds and only when backing off......been in at the dealers 3 times now and each time they fix it, it comes back with in a month.

I had the same problem, mine was the baffles on the centre box. Really makes the car sounds sh*t. I ordered a Stealth K-tec system over a week ago, should be getting it on monday to fit hopefully tuesday. I will let u know how it sounds!

Phil.

I had the baffles and centre section of the exhaust replaced today and now it sounds like something is vibrating against the gear stick shaft in 2nd gear over 4k rpm ! I should have just put up with the 4k rattle !

It will have to go back in I think as something must be rubbing against the gear shaft, most likely the exhaust like welsh182 said.

I got a trackday on Thursday so it needs to be sorted by then !

Just a hassle as the dealer is 30-45mins out of my way !

:(

sorry to hear that Daipac, the one thing Ive learnt with Renault is they can never get the job done in one visit....not even a dam headlight washerball :mad:

This is one of the reasons that Ive put up with the 4k rattle, plus the fact I didnt want to pay for it...Ive been waiting till I could get a Magnex

Right now I am very pi$$ed off ! I thought that was the end of my visits to Renault for the time being and now I have to go back. I am going to take a half day off work and wait down there till they get it sorted ! ARGH !

:mad:

Just before I phone the dealer again, has anybody else got any ideas as to what else this could be ?

Any help would be very much appreciated !

I cant help but feel as tho an aftermarket exhaust would have fixed all these problems and made life a lot easier !

:cry:

Renault Laguna Coupe

2 possibilities: welsh182 - exhaust hitting gearchange mechanism, or maybe the gearbox mount under the battery has worked loose.

I am on the phone to the dealer now to get it booked back in AGAIN ! Need it done by Wednesday as I am travelling up to yours then Mike.

Gonna take half day and sit there and wait until it is done to make sure they fix it this time !

ha, my car was in swansea renault yesters too, having a 12k service. Didnt spot any other sports there tho!!

Was really happy with the service and it cost 8 quid less for some reason?

I am never going to take my car to the monkeys in Renault West End mate, never ! Sounds like they did a decent job on your car tho which is good !

It is now booked in to Gravells in Kidwelly for Tuesday morning !

Heard good stories from gravells, from the turks in work. Thats where I bought mine from.

Was highly amused yesterday when they informed me that my spare wheel was missing!:confused:

Quote: Originally posted by Gwynny on 02 April 2004

Heard good stories from gravells, from the turks in work. Thats where I bought mine from.

Was highly amused yesterday when they informed me that my spare wheel was missing!:confused:
Renault West End is full of towny kids who will just rag the hell out of your car when they have it. I just trust Gravells a lot more and they have always been very helpful whenever I have taken my car there. Shame they fix problems and they give me new ones instead ! LOL !

:devilish:

LMFAO @ the spare wheel comment ! How can you trust people who know nothing about the cars they service ! LOL !

;)

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by Gwynny on 02 April 2004

LOL, next time complain that your air-con is on the blink.

Quote: Originally posted by welsh182 on 01 April 2004

New exhaust section touching gear change mechanism??
A (y) for welsh182 ! My car went back into Renault this morning to get this sorted and it was indeed the new exhaust touching the gear change mechanism while in 2nd gear !

It is all fixed now and the car feels great again ! All set for the Curborough trackday on Thursday now !

Thanks to Gravells Renault in Kidwelly for sorting it out in the end ! They have been very helpful and actually they have very good customer service !

A happy bunny !

:D

You are telling me. I travel out of my way to go to this dealer as they are a family run dealership in a tiny town in West Wales so they do take pride in their service, I wouldnt go anywhere else to be honest. Some cracking roads on the way down there too so any excuse ! LOL !

:D

Glad you got it sorted Dai.

Funny enough, I had my mate and another salesman out to my car last week as I could not find the tire foam, they both reckoned I should have a spare wheel and they actually took the boot carpet out before they believed me.

Leon TDI

Mine goes in on Friday to have this sorted. I was told this would be a warranty job, even tho the car will be 2 in May.