ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Price Shocker..!!

Shhh
Car needs a 48k service soon, therefore the car would be on the ramps and i figured i could have some extra work carried out.

Asked during the service if they could swap out some old disks, for some new brembo disks i bought from yozzasport.

They come back and said..

Service - £180 (as no air filter change)
To fit brake disks.. £75

Well i figured that as they car was on the ramps, the wheels would be off for the brake checks etc, then they could simply remove the callipers, push the pistons back, remove calliper mount, remove disk, fit disk, fit calliper mount, fit pads, fit calliper.. then carry on with the servicing as usual.

I imagine the service includes checking brake fluid levels etc, so why not add or remove some why they are at it..

If they dont want the job, then why dont they tell me.. :(

Thats £75 in my pocket as ill just do it myself, and take the service elsewhere..

£75 will be an hours labour mate, and i doubt very much for that £180 you will get more than your car shoved in the air on some ramps, oil drained or possibly sucked out depending on what gear they have... a new filter whacked on, new oil put in which to be fair could be anything depending what oil they buy in (ive seen a lot of renault garages use castrol in the past).

Then after that some will walk around with a clipboard and tick a few boxes, probably make some comment regarding brake pads, disks etc or any other consumable not covered by warranty before taking your much loved toy out for a quick thrash down the local by-pass...

FRSH... not worth two pence by most accounts!

Renault Clio 1.6 16v
Is the car still under warranty?? if not I'd get your hands dirty and do the whole thing yourself, least then you know its done right!!

Shhh
Would be ok if they were renault themselves, but they are 'Dixon Motors' trading as Renault, therefore i cant really see them warranting the £65 per hour labour.

Id pay £30 to have them fitted, as they should have the wheels off to look at the brakes & measure them.

Once wheels off, simply remove calliper (17mm spanner & 13mm spanner), then take pads out, then use 19mm spanner to undo the calliper mount. Then use the T35 torx bit to remove them disk - hub bolts, remove disk..and refit..
obviously pushing pistons back and checking fluid level.

172 Cup (track) FS
£79/hour in Sussex!

90 near me (HH area). Can't believe people pay this sort of money.

With both cars I drive 220 miles (round trip) for all servicing and repairs - it's still waaay cheaper as the labour rate is 45 p/h and they actually care about the vehicles....

Clio 1.4 16v Ph3 & ERST
We charge £47 per hour for most stuff and work on mostly tuned turbo'd cars for that. We use the same labour rate for servicing and this means that we are usually a good bit cheaper than the main dealer.

The beauty of taking it to someone other than the Main Dealer is that there are companies out there that actually care about the cars they are working on and usually for a cheaper hourly rate!!

The 'book' time to replace both discs is an hour, so as others have said, £75 is an hours labour at their rate!:dapprove:

Asked during the service if they could swap out some old disks, for some new brembo disks i bought from yozzasport.

Well i figured that as they car was on the ramps, the wheels would be off for the brake checks etc, then they could simply remove the callipers, push the pistons back, remove calliper mount, remove disk, fit disk, fit calliper mount, fit pads, fit calliper.. then carry on with the servicing as usual.

If they dont want the job, then why dont they tell me.. :(
Its 1 hours work and at £75 an hour (not uncommon for a big garage with expensive offices and tooling etc) so why would they charge less?