ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

renault sport clio reputation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does the clio 1*2 have such a good reputation and road credibility with the younger ones

I do a lot.of.miles in my 182 so of course see a lot of younger lads and they all give me a look almost.as if to say nice car etc also get a lot of comment's at petrol stations etc saying fast they am ay they! And u can guarantee everyday someone wants a traffic light grandprix

does anyone else have this?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
ALL the time.

It's nice in a way, showed my work colleague my car today and the first thing is "lovely car, gorgeous colour"

I do seem to get loads of looks in mine when driving along and get the boy racers try to race me.

It is a nice feeling that it gets recognised.

Arctic 182
I agree that most people just see it as a loud 52 plate (in my case) Clio, but for me it's something special. Sad to some but I always look back at mine after locking it & think "that's mine!" I feel great driving it & it makes me smile. I think the people that can tell it's an RS appreciate it however.

I agree that most people just see it as a loud 52 plate (in my case) Clio, but for me it's something special. Sad to some but I always look back at mine after locking it & think "that's mine!" I feel great driving it & it makes me smile. I think the people that can tell it's an RS appreciate it however.

Thats exactly what I mean younger lads will know its an Rs so will appreciate it

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
I get more people try it when I'm in the Golf than the RB 182, missus seems to get more traffic light grand prix's than me in it.

Last edited:
  Clio 182
I get a mixed reaction, alot of people have said how its a nice car and some have even said how they used to have one too. On the other hand, my car came with the renault f1 team sticker on the front from one of the previous owners and someone read it and said "wishful thinking". I agree its not the fastest car, but to him, he just thought of it as a boy racer 1.2 clio

2002 clio 172
I think the colours of the cars are a lot better than most. Look at pics people post on here of their cars when they've been washed and they all look amazing.
I've had "gorgeous car"
"Shiny as f**k mate"
"Cant believe how tidy it is" etc etc.
For a car of that age I think the paint looks brand new. That goes for almost every Clio sport I've seen.
As for people wanting to race, it's usually me on the lookout for races.

BG 182
Sad to some but I always look back at mine after locking it & think "that's mine!" I feel great driving it & it makes me smile. I think the people that can tell it's an RS appreciate it however.

Same as me, I always look back at mine too lol.

The only reason I miss living in the city, is I can't find many people for traffic light grand prix.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I must admit, most people have been pretty complimentary about mine, and to be honest, ok it rattles a bit and has a few bits that need sorting out, but for what I paid and what I got, I am really happy, a lot of car for less than 2k, fun to drive, quick, and sounds pretty well, got loads of kit, climate control, xenon lights etc, if I was 19 or 20 and had one of them, I would be over the moon...

Willo

2002 clio 172
I get a mixed reaction, alot of people have said how its a nice car and some have even said how they used to have one too. On the other hand, my car came with the renault f1 team sticker on the front from one of the previous owners and someone read it and said "wishful thinking". I agree its not the fastest car, but to him, he just thought of it as a boy racer 1.2 clio

Quite a lot of people think it's just a 1.2 Clio! I've shocked a few business men in their insignias etc that thought it was just a 1.2

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my 172 and 182s never really got that much attention the 200 on the other hand used to sit outside my house and id watch people walking past taking pics of it as if it was some sort of Ferrari lol

Clio 182
I must admit, most people have been pretty complimentary about mine, and to be honest, ok it rattles a bit and has a few bits that need sorting out, but for what I paid and what I got, I am really happy, a lot of car for less than 2k, fun to drive, quick, and sounds pretty well, got loads of kit, climate control, xenon lights etc, if I was 19 or 20 and had one of them, I would be over the moon...

Willo

I agree, I bought for about £2k and the features the 182 comes with as you said. Being 19 nearly 20, I agree fully, I am over the moon with this car :)

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Not forgetting the auto wipers. They work so well. I thought when I got the car that they'd be a bit gimmicky but how they adjust to the flow of rainfall is awesome.

My only gripe is with having this car that is desirably to boyracers etc, is that I hate parking up in unknown places with the thought that it's going to get keyed or something.

I am also another person who looks back at the car everytime. So proud to own it.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Not forgetting the auto wipers. They work so well. I thought when I got the car that they'd be a bit gimmicky but how they adjust to the flow of rainfall is awesome.

My only gripe is with having this car that is desirably to boyracers etc, is that I hate parking up in unknown places with the thought that it's going to get keyed or something.

I am also another person who looks back at the car everytime. So proud to own it.

I really don't like the auto wipers at all, probably the only thing I don't like about the car........

Willo

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I agree, I bought for about £2k and the features the 182 comes with as you said. Being 19 nearly 20, I agree fully, I am over the moon with this car :)

I had an old 950cc fiesta when I was 19....lol, you must be paying a fair wack in insurance?

Willo

Clio 182
I had an old 950cc fiesta when I was 19....lol, you must be paying a fair wack in insurance?

Willo

My first car for 2 years was a 998cc seat arosa, and insurance isn't too bad for the type of car it is... im paying just over £900 full comp

2002 clio 172
I park mine on an angle with wheels turned when I'm at work. Right outside entrance. Look back at it more than once when I leave it.

I really don't like the auto wipers at all, probably the only thing I don't like about the car........

Willo

My auto wipers used to do my head in, pretty much seemed to do the opposite of what you wanted them to do. I found the auto wipers on my 306 to be worse and the ones on my fiesta st are better but still not perfect.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I get nothing but trouble from middle aged male drivers that want to try it on. Glued to my ruddy back bumper. They must think my car is really unreliable because I'm forever pulling over to let them past. I have no desire to do the Speeds a sport is capable of down a rural road to make a point and it's no straight line car so why give my mounts, clutch and gearbox a beating to lose or draw with a executive car in a dual carriageway duel. Don't have the presence they used to a track days due to so many people going for fully stripped and track day tyres. Also normally one up which I find boring as feck. If you get a day with plenty of standard cars the sports get their fair share of interest.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
my car gets looks more so now than before. But that may be because it has blue door trims, blue boot, blue spoiler, blue bonnet and a blue fuel cap when the rest is black hahaha

People must think its a right shed

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
My auto wipers used to do my head in, pretty much seemed to do the opposite of what you wanted them to do. I found the auto wipers on my 306 to be worse and the ones on my fiesta st are better but still not perfect.[/QUOTE

Yes mate thats what mine are like, either too fast or too slow, gets on my t!ts....

Willo

My auto wipers used to do my head in, pretty much seemed to do the opposite of what you wanted them to do. I found the auto wipers on my 306 to be worse and the ones on my fiesta st are better but still not perfect.[/QUOTE

Yes mate thats what mine are like, either too fast or too slow, gets on my t!ts....

Willo

They were way worse on my old 306, I guess its just down to age, expense and how good technology is at the time. Personally I don't see what is wrong with intermittent, constant and fast.

Never really use the auto stuff wipers lights etc.. i find them more of a hindrance than a help especially the lights as going through a dark tunnel momentarily turns them on.. id rarher save the ignitor and ballast from constant unnecessary use

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Auto Wipers are interesting on my 206. 90% of the time they get it right and for the other 10% they do the opposite of what you need!

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Never really use the auto stuff wipers lights etc.. i find them more of a hindrance than a help especially the lights as going through a dark tunnel momentarily turns them on.. id rarher save the ignitor and ballast from constant unnecessary use

How do u turn them off?

Willo

Ph1
Get the odd look here and there probably down to the exhaust more than anything. Not sure if its good looks or disgusted looks though lol

Also get the odd car driver trying to take it on and not just boy racers. Had a middle aged fella in a Honda Sport last week booting it away from every roundabout in front trying to impress. I just let them get on with it - partly because its running s**t and would probably get owned lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
EVO magazine seems to have a bit of a soft spot for them, so I think a lot of people who are into cars in terms of they buy magazines to read about them rather than they spend their weekends building engines, tend to have heard of the 182 more than a lot of other hot hatches.

Cant say I have had noticed quite the all round admiration that the OP mentions though, but have had a couple of people I work with ask if they are as much fun to throw about as they are meant to be etc, and certianly any track day regulars will tend to know they are among the more capable hatchs out of the box.

Ph1 172.
Nothing ever in either on my 172s. However, when I had a Clio V6 it was the opposite, people would regularly wander over for a chat, coming out of Tesco to see people taking photos of it and on one occasion posing with the car for pictures (caught on camera). It wasn't just your typical younger males, it adults of all ages and sex who seemed interested in the car and wanted to find out more about it.

Most people who approached knew what it was. A smaller minority who I spoke to congratulated me on doing such a good job converting it and seemed surprised it was pretty much as Renault had sold it.

Status
Not open for further replies.