ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Sport Dry Sump. . . . . . . .

Monaco Blue Clio 172
Anyone had any experience fitting a Renault Sport dry sump / pump / pump drive assembly from a Formula Renault onto a road going clio 172/182?? If so how long do the pumps last before needing to be serviced and rebuilt?

I know they will fit ok being the same engine and i ll loose the power steering pump but thats easily sorted........

2005 Nissan Navara
You have to mount the pump on the inlet side of the engine, as when mounted on the exhaust side, on the sump pan itself as per the formula renaults, it fouls the n/s driveshaft.
So make a mount up to suit.

Other than that, pretty straight forward.

Monaco Blue Clio 172
the price isnt a problem. . . . ie free! Im a mechanic for formula renault and got the bits sitting about from a couple of old blown up lumps. It would go on as a straight fit because the pump lives on the inlet side on the race cars and is driven by a shaft under the alternator. Its just the length of time before the pumps internals need servicing thats in question. . . . I ll just speak to renault sport at the track in the morning!!!

2005 Nissan Navara
Are you sure the mount is on the inlet side?
Ive got a couple of set-ups here and they mount on the exhaust side...aye the mounting points on the sump pan are on the rear of the engine.

I had a guy round 2weeks a go with one in a mk2 clio, he made a mount to re-locate it to the front regarding fouling driveshafts.

Maybe they made a couple of different set-ups...actually knowing renault theres probably 5 or 6 lol.

Monaco Blue Clio 172
totally positive! I work on them 5 days a week and more weekends than i want to think about. . . . The whole point to the series is that every car is identical so no different ones. Maybe its an early sump and pump from a pre 2000 car when they were running the 1700 cc engine?

106 GTI
totally positive! I work on them 5 days a week and more weekends than i want to think about. . . . The whole point to the series is that every car is identical so no different ones. Maybe its an early sump and pump from a pre 2000 car when they were running the 1700 cc engine?

If you work on them day in day out then surely you would know the answers to your questions?

Monaco Blue Clio 172
The engines are sealed units that we cant touch. They go back to france for a full re build after only 2500km. We get charged a standard fee for this so no bill for parts or work carried out. . . . . As i dont speak french then i cant ring them up and ask so have no way of knowing what they do with the oil pumps at every re build. Like i said im a previous post i ll speak to a renault sport uk guy when we are at the track tomorrow . . . . .

The engines are sealed units that we cant touch. They go back to france for a full re build after only 2500km. We get charged a standard fee for this so no bill for parts or work carried out. . . . . As i dont speak french then i cant ring them up and ask so have no way of knowing what they do with the oil pumps at every re build. Like i said im a previous post i ll speak to a renault sport uk guy when we are at the track tomorrow . . . . .

if theyre supplying cars/engines to the uk then surely they will have a english speaker there ? :rasp:

2005 Nissan Navara
I'd imagine they will strip it, check for wear/damage, and adjust the pressure control as required.

It depends how much use your going to give the car/engine...

Is it a road car?

Monaco Blue Clio 172
its kinda getting away from the point of the topic now. . . I know what they will do an i can do that myself just wondered if anyone had a rough idea about the service life on the parts. I ll just speak to the r sport guys tomorrow who will know for definate.

2005 Nissan Navara
In theory, if your filtration is upto scratch, theres no reason why you cant leave it on indefinately, and just check the belt regularly for damage (stones/debris can cause damage easily to them).

I personally would whip it off (the pump) and strip/inspect/clean it every few months, whether this is needed or not is anyones guess.