ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

renault sport petrol type?

Clio 182
What is the best petrol to put into a 182? At the moment i am using 95 but i saw when i opened the petrol cap there is a sign that says 98 recommened? If i was to change fuel type would i lose the benefits because my ecu is set to use 95 now?

Megane225FF
it does in mine.. but then again, it could all be in the mind...
but i like to think it works best, it seems to "chug" less at tickover too

You get marginally better mpg with 98 (about 2mpg I recon) and in my 172 the 5000rpm kick seems a little more powerful, but it could just be in my mind...

ive always ran on optimax, usually get around 32-34mpg.

when the ''petrol crisis'' was on my station was out of optimax so used shells normal unleaded.. didnt seem to perform any less and managed 37mpg and im sure my driving style hadnt changed, in fact i think i was driving harder if anything.

but as soon as optimax came back in i bought that again.

had to fill up at a tesco though lastnight with normal unleaded cos i couldnt find a nearby shell.

SLK 350
IMO your best to redex your system and run it to empty, then treat your car to a full-tank full of Optimax/BP Ultimate.

To many people put £20 of optimax into a tank thats not even near empty and expect to take off when they next open the car up.

But i would advise a fill-up on some 95 and redex your system before going to the good stuff.

There has been no proven extra Hp gains from 98 octane the engine doesn't knock so it doesn't need it. However some people have said the engine is more economical and it idles better.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
i use sainbury's super 97ron and it is better than 95ron not power wise just runs smoother i've tried optimax but could tell any difference from sainbury's so i could'nt justify an extra 5p per litre for it.

95 ron - my car shakes vigoursly and feels lumpy on idle.
97/98/99 ron - None of the above problems

Make of that what you like.