ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RENAULT UK Response To Clio II Bonnets

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RENAULT UK RESPONSE TO CLIO II BONNETS OPENING WHILST THE CAR WAS BEING DRIVEN[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The media has highlighted cases of Renault customers who have reported that the bonnet of their Clio II has opened whilst the car was being driven. Renault has liaised fully with the independent governing body, the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA), on the issue and both Renault and VOSA have concluded that the bonnet catch mechanism of the Clio II has no design or construction defect.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]However Renault recognises that reports of this issue may have caused concern to our customers and, for those who have experienced the incident, some distress. Consequently, we will contact all Clio II owners as part of a reassurance plan, customer safety being of paramount importance to Renault.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We have closely monitored and analysed every case we have received, and a dedicated Task Force of Renault’s worldwide experts has investigated this issue, including carrying out vehicle inspections. We also kept VOSA fully updated throughout.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Renault and VOSA have concluded that the mechanism of the bonnet catch on Clio II is safe, reliable and fit for purpose, providing the vehicle is correctly maintained and the bonnet is closed as prescribed. Our investigations discovered several cases of poor maintenance on Clio IIs where the bonnet had opened whilst the car was being driven. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Therefore, as part of our reassurance plan and in co-operation with the relevant authorities, we will write to all Clio II customers inviting them into their nearest Renault dealership, where the opening and closing mechanisms of the bonnet will be checked to ensure the correct maintenance is being undertaken. If poor maintenance is detected, the appropriate corrective action will be carried out at no cost to the customer. [/FONT]

This is an official press release sent to me this morning directly from renault uk.

Last edited:
  Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
who wants to take there car to a dealer to squirt some freaking oil on it !!! waste of a couple of hours that is. just a scam to get you to go their, and listen to the sales t**t try to sell you a new clio campus

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
may be worth just poping along tbf just to cover yourself, then if it does fly open then you can say well it was inspected

RS Clio 200
or you can just give it a squirt of wd40 once a week when you wash it... not like it takes 2 minutes... i know we shouldnt have to do it, but its hardly a taxing thing to do

J

Jim NM

I use copper slip on the mechanism, it lasts longer than WD40 I have to say they are on the cheapo side. If your paranoid you could loop a plastic tie strap through the bonnet and an available point under the bonnet. If the bonnet does fly up then the tie strap will prevent the bonnet going all the way up and breaking the windscreen. You shouldn't have to, but for piece of mind.

I liked the way my 5GTT bonnet opened, (opposite to Clio) no chance of flying up.

LY V6 with Recaros
I wd40'd mine at the weekend. It looked ok though, the catch on my bf's clio looked terrible, and the bonnet wasn't opening properly. Seems ok now it's had some wd40 on it though.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Bet Watchdog don't get VOSA on and imply they're lying or can't be bothered.

It's part of the MoT! Clios are MoTd every day, it's a computerised system, if there were a significant number of failures VOSA would know and force a recall.

Fair enough it has happened to a few people and it's not the best design in the world, but it works on the vast majority of Clios. And after all this, any MoT tester or mechanic will probably give it a quick check anyway.

Have Watchdog advised people to just lubricate their catch with 2p worth of grease?

LY V6 with Recaros
People shouldn't have to grease their own bonnet catch though. It's fair enough us doing it as we are enthusiasts and look after our cars, but the majority of people with clios don't. My mum never opens the bonnet of her car, probably wouln't even know how to!

People shouldn't have to grease their own bonnet catch though. It's fair enough us doing it as we are enthusiasts and look after our cars, but the majority of people with clios don't. My mum never opens the bonnet of her car, probably wouln't even know how to!

I couldn't agree more, it's definitely not something we should have to do - but as most don't surely there would be many more problems if it was a fundamental fault that was always going to happen. They'd fail MoTs all the time (though to be fair, I've had several where I know for a fact the whole test wasn't done properly).

Doing the greasing should remove any worries it may happen. Bet Halfords are doing alright out of this!

Maybe they should add a new question to the driving test practical bit - "How do you check your screenwash? And what should you do if you own a Clio 2?"

Lionel Richie
i suppose its a bit like the problem 172 cups have of always failing the MOT on rear brake bias, the fix we were told to do was to sit 3 people in the back and then retest it, they pass then!

Breaking A 172 Replica
This bonnet thing...how does the bonnet pop up in the first place as in a wind tunnel it appears the bonnet provides downforce :S!

How does the air get underneath it to rip it upwards?

Sam

This bonnet thing...how does the bonnet pop up in the first place as in a wind tunnel it appears the bonnet provides downforce :S!

Sam

Air is forced in through the grille at considerable pressure depending on speed, then through the radiator, and it has to exit somewhere. The only place it can go is down under the car, which is already a high pressure area.

On cars with a front-hinged bonnet if you leave the bonnet unlatched the airflow through the grille and the pressure under the bonnet will open the bonnet at even road speeds.

182cup & 172 racecar

Sam

Air is forced in through the grille at considerable pressure depending on speed, then through the radiator, and it has to exit somewhere. The only place it can go is down under the car, which is already a high pressure area.

On cars with a front-hinged bonnet if you leave the bonnet unlatched the airflow through the grille and the pressure under the bonnet will open the bonnet at even road speeds.
Thats what I said.

J

Jim NM

If poor maintenance is detected, the appropriate corrective action will be carried out at no cost to the customer.

Where's the catch? ;)

Nice pun, probably there will be extortionate labour charges ( as per normal) LOL :rasp: The bonnet catch will be free! Maybe, (cost hidden in labour charges)

CB600FS
or you can just give it a squirt of wd40 once a week when you wash it... not like it takes 2 minutes... i know we shouldnt have to do it, but its hardly a taxing thing to do

WD40's no good really, unless your willing todo it every week say. Its far too weak and goes away eventually, just water repellent really. I'd use copper slip, or even multi purpose grease.

I agree with what your saying about people shouldn't have to grease them, but everything over time becomes worn/runs out of lube. Its only basic car maintenaince, lubricate door locks and hinges. Pop the bonnet to top-up the washers, oh, the bonnet catch is a bit sticky, squirt squirt, oh look, its freed up now, wahay. People don't open the bonnet for 18k but expect everything to be perfect! Don't mean for that to sound stupid/patronising (sp) deb

Be interesting to see if theres anything about lubricating door locks and hinges in the clio manual, can't be bothered togo to the car at the minute.

Clio 197
I wd40'd mine at the weekend. It looked ok though, the catch on my bf's clio looked terrible, and the bonnet wasn't opening properly. Seems ok now it's had some wd40 on it though.

GT85 would last a bit longer (FYI)... or you can go for the daddy and get ACF50, which will last the longest by far.

What is actually the problem with them?

I have a slight problem with my 172 bonnet in that when you pull the lever in the car the bonnet dosen't 'pop' up, it appears to be sticking. Even when you try to lift it after pulling the level it dosen't budge. The only way to open the bonnet is for someone to pull the lever and someone else to lift the bonnet to its first position, then press the second catch. I can imagine that this would cause problems as if it gets pulled acidentaly it appears the bonnet is still shut, when it's probably not correctly secured.

I spoke to Renault about it and they siad it's probably part of the same problem and that I should take it to a dealer and they will change it for free. then I got some speach about how at Renault 'people come first'.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Its people not shutting the bonnet properly, and the saftey catch not engaging, thus maybe resulting in it flying up. The bonnet catch is fine, just drop the bonnet a foot or so above the slam panel and you'll never have a problem.

R

rich[182]

Got my 12k service at dealers shortly, am gonna get them to put on the jobsheet/invoice that they've checked it ok so that if anything ever happens ive got it in writing they checked it

I'm not too fussed as I know the bonnet is shut when I shut it as I drop it closed, although some tart has obviously shut it and 'pushed' it shut at some point as it has a small dent (why do people do that). But if they're offering to change them for free then I reckon it's worth a punt, at least it should open properly then.

tiTTy & SV650
agree, WD40 isn't the solution, use it to clean up / free up the spring but then copper slip it or at the very least use some kind of grease.

Mazda MX5 1.8
saw a clio driving around town today with the bonnet on the catch....... just asking for trouble

no doubt it would be renaults fault just because they are too incompetant to close their own bonnet lol

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]News Just in....[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RENAULT UK RESPONDS TO BBC WATCHDOG[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Renault UK is a responsible manufacturer and prides itself on safety with more five-star Euro NCAP rated cars than any other manufacturer. The safety of its customers is of paramount importance to Renault UK [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Without question, Renault conforms to all strict legal procedures outlined for the motor industry. This includes incidents of drivers reporting that the bonnet of their Clio II has opened whilst the car was being driven. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Renault has liaised fully with the UK government enforcement agency, the Vehicle and Operator Service Agency (VOSA), on the issue and both Renault and VOSA have concluded that the bonnet catch mechanism on the Clio II has no design or construction defect. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Since Watchdog’s original broadcast, Renault has monitored and analysed every case we have received and a dedicated Task Force of more than 30 of Renault’s worldwide experts has investigated this issue, including carrying out vehicle inspections. VOSA has been kept fully informed throughout. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In co-operation with the relevant authorities including the DVLA, Renault is writing to all Clio II owners, more than 400,000 people, inviting them into their nearest Renault dealership, where the opening and closing mechanisms of the bonnet will be checked to ensure the correct maintenance is being undertaken. If poor maintenance is detected, the appropriate corrective action will be carried out at no cost to the customer as a gesture of goodwill.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Renault refutes BBC Watchdog claim that it is ‘putting lives at risk’[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Renault has found no construction or design defect with the bonnet catch mechanism of the Clio II. Renault is a responsible manufacturer. To say we would endanger our customers is categorically untrue. We are recalling all Clio II owners into the Renault network as part of our reassurance plan. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The bonnet catch mechanism of the Clio II is safe, reliable and fit for purpose providing the vehicle is maintained correctly and the bonnet is closed as prescribed. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This issue is a maintenance issue. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Renault refutes BBC Watchdog’s whistleblower ‘cover-up’ claim[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There is no ‘cover-up’. Renault always takes any customer complaint extremely seriously and we have escalated reports of this issue to the highest level within Renault. The fact that we are writing to all Clio II owners demonstrates how seriously Renault takes any customer issue and illustrates our openness with the customers. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Renault is sorry that Graeme Holt, former Press Relations Manager, Renault UK, has issues with the company. However Renault’s priority remains its customers and communicating with them. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Renault refutes claims that issue due to a design fault[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There is no design fault with the bonnet catch mechanism on the Clio II. Graeme Holt has no accredited technical expertise with which to make such a claim. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This issue is a maintenance issue pure and simple. In its investigations, Renault discovered several cases of poor maintenance where the bonnet had opened whilst the car was being driven. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Immediately following Watchdog’s original broadcast, Renault UK instructed its dealers to check the bonnet catch mechanism on Clio II free-of-charge for customers and we have now formalised this by adding a check to the service schedule.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A check of the bonnet catch mechanism is already included in the annual MOT test required for vehicles more than three years old. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Clio Campus[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There are no reports of this issue on Clio Campus. Renault dealers have been provided with correct maintenance instructions for this vehicle and it will be applied to all Renault vehicles, including Clio Campus as reassuring our customers is Renault’s priority. [/FONT]

Lots of Alfas
I dont see how it is possible to write to "all clio II owners". How can renault now track who has a Clio and who doesnt? Some of these Clios are now 9 years old and have problably had 5-6 different owners.

Another thing is its not just Clios that have these catches, every Renault van we have had has the exact same mechanism as my 172.

Clio 197
Good find that Tom
If everyone getting worry about this problem, use GT85 is the best to use & last longer.
Here some pics where to do it on your bonnet catch.
clio22.gif

clio11.gif

(sorry for bad pics)

hope this help

I have the same problem as Liftnub has, when I pull the release handle in the passenger side footwell, my bonnet doesnt "pop" it only slightly raises (minimal difference in panel gap between bonnet and wings and bonnet to grille gap when I pull the release handle,

I've then got to squeeze my fingers through a wee tiny gap to get to the actual exterior release cable for the bonnet catch, pull it, lift the bonnet with my other hand to the position it should normally "pop open" to when I pull the interior release handle, then actually open the bonnet.

I work for Arnold Clark, although not a renault AC dealership and have worked on a couple of 56 plate Campus Sports, where when you pull the interior release handle on these, they open to the slight panel gap mine opens to, they then stop then they "pop up" again to the correct "pop open" position then you simply pull the exterior release handle and open bonnet, that to me is a bonnet catch thats working correctly and how mine should work too, but it doesnt. I doubt renault will fix that for free tho as its not part of the recall for bonnets flying open, mines is so stiff theres 0% chance it will fly open.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
i havent had a letter from them, gonna get them to check it, i have lubed mine up sonce seeing watchdog, but like others have said it covers our asses in the way if it does occur, we can say renault have checked it so its nothing to do with us.

182 cup
who wants to take there car to a dealer to squirt some freaking oil on it !!! waste of a couple of hours that is. just a scam to get you to go their, and listen to the sales tw*t try to sell you a new clio campus

if u dont want to go dont go,some ppl mite jus want to get it checked out
and referance to some sales tw*t trying to sell u a car
its was some sales tw*t that sold your car at the start unless you bought it new