ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RENAULT WANTS TO BUY (AND SAVE) LOTUS ?? Why not ??

CLIO 2 RS trackcar
Renault wants to buy (and save) Lotus ??

Yes boys we can think that and I explain to you why :

1- Lotus is in a bad financial situation currently, close of a financial bankruptcy and does not know how to be able to build these news Lotus V6 Exige for example

2- Renault is again as in the past very close in Lotus by the F1 team with its F1 Engine.

3- Lotus-Renault F1 Team has very well results after 1 year only and Renault don't can let this team disappear for financial problems because even if it supplies its F1 engine at 5 teams, Lotus-Renault is the most famous and important for Renault in the History of F1 (aaah the Big time with Senna and Prost ^^)

4- After 2 decades to enlarge its sales everywhere in Europe and in the world by becoming the main shareholder of DACIA for the Eastern Europe and NISSAN for Japan and in the USA especially, Renault search now to have brands of racing cars with big prestige (Nissan built beautiful racing cars as the GTR but Nissan is not really an old prestigious brand of the world motor racing)

5- For that Renault decided to recreate its own old prestige brand ALPINE (which won several world rally "manches" in the 60's & the 70's)
It built a 1st prototype the A110-50 few month ago & apparently decided to launch really in the next months an commercial Alpine car which will be built at approximately 5000 cars

6- All my reflection on that is left by reading this news on an important French website specialized (http://www.turbo.fr/actualite-automobile/505786-renault-alpine-ressuscitee-lotus/) quoting Carlos Tavares, The Deputy Chief Executive Officer of Renault, asserting that to conceive its new Alpine, Renault tried to made an association with a builder of famous racing cars.

And this builder has strong chances to be... LOTUS ^^
Renault giving also in this case the production of the future "Infiniti Emerge-E" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct0aEmgt-0E :hail:) at Lotus ^^

7- If the new Alpine will be build in its historic factory "Alpine-Renault Sport" in the city of Dieppe in the North of France, its conception & design will be half in Dieppe and half made by Lotus in England. ^^

All that being for Renault an indirect means to help its partner in the F1 championship which is in big financial difficulties

8- How not to see behind this action the urge for Renault of integrated definitively Lotus in its trust "Renault-Nissan-Dacia" to have with Alpine, 2 brands of prestigious racing cars which misses to Renault currently?
Alpine specialized for Europe and Africa and Lotus for the rest of the world and the USA in particular where Lotus is known but not Alpine

I consider hardly that possible personally student for years very closely the commercial strategies of Renault in the world

In all facts yes or no for that, if I see the regretted "Concorde", the great supersonic jet, half French, half British, I'm sure that the future new Alpine conceived & designed half in France and half in England, will be a great racing car !! ^^

Wait and see now ;)

Last edited:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Renault want to buy Lotus?

Or Renault are considering sub contracting production?

One of those is plausible the other is laughable.

CLIO 2 RS trackcar
Renault want to buy Lotus?

Or Renault are considering sub contracting production?

One of those is plausible the other is laughable.

can you explain ?

I said , the news say that no for the future commecial Alpine, it always will be build in the Historic factory of "Alpine-Renault Sport" in "Dieppe", the city in the North of France (where currently all our Clio RS & the RS cars are built I reminds it to you ;-) )

For the future commercial Alpine it is (only) the design and the conception which will be made half in France and half by Lotus

BUT the news say also that Renault will give the production of a commercial version of the "Infinity Emerge-E" at Lotus, here yes

So now "wait and see"

Last edited:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Basically they aren't buying them.

The F1 connection is irrelevant as neither Lotus or Renault are connected to the F1 team financially.

CLIO 2 RS trackcar
Basically they aren't buying them.

The F1 connection is irrelevant as neither Lotus or Renault are connected to the F1 team financially.

???

Renault Sport is the Motoriste of Lotus F1, do you know that all that is made without a financial deal ?

For the moment the only truths is that Lotus has big financial problems & Renault search (searched ^^) a brand to build in association its new Alpine and Lotus seems to be this brand, what will be a sends of fresh air for Lotus

The both builders will be happy of this association :)

This one ^ (someday)
Autocar had a great debate on the future of Lotus in a recent magazine. They had the largest UK dealer there (Bobby something), a Journalist turned Engineer of some sort, the Owner of Ariel Motors and an experienced journalist.

They came up with a really interesting game plan.

Lotus have great engineers so could make a very light car with an Aluminium Chassis, make the interior like that of concept cars (stylish, minimal and basic/cheap) and use a very clever engine. They suggested the 1.0 Ford Ecoboost, Ford's engineers have said they could get 160bhp out of it but still retain >60mpg. Lotus could easily build such a car and sell it for £25,000.

Imagine the revolution, a fast brilliantly handling car that does 60mpg and costs £25,000. Lotus have good enough engineers to do it, now all they need to do is get on with it!

CLIO 2 RS trackcar
???

Excuse me but what is it the problem for somebody here with this news ?

For all fans as me, an association to product a car between Alpine-Renault and Lotus is a great thing and I will be happy to see that!!!

So yes what is it your problem ??

Hum OK I see...

The problem for somebody here is that Alpine-Renault is ... French I suppose ? ^^

"Every builders to help Lotus and made an association with Lotus, even from Japan, from USA , from Germany but especially not from France, OMG it is too hard for our English proud!"

it is ridiculous this "nationalism mind" come from the 19th century...

Sorry but me I'm a man of the 21th century and especially not a nationalist here, but a true fan of racing cars (I dont care of the country) and for me it's only : "Alpine + Lotus = A great car !"

And usually I dont discuss on my passion with men & minds come from the 19th century :dead: :quiet:

Last edited:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
What are you talking about?

I simply said that this wont happen.

Looks like he's gone full r****d. Not sure where he's got the anti-french comments from, there certainly weren't any expressed in this thread. Seems to be getting all bent out of shape when anyone tries to throw a reality check into his wild speculation.

Dan.G

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
What! this thread seems to have got all twisted! There was a well written article on pistonheads about this (i think it was pistonheads). The main this it said in it was it was RUMOURS.

That article mentioned nothing of Renault buying Lotus but simply looking to out source the manufacturing of the new Alpine and Infinity cars. The infinity cars bit is what made the move seem more ideal for both parties. With the Infinity concept building up to be an all electric/hybrid this would help lotus, for whom its not financially viable, with their all electric evora concept the range extender 414e. That my 2 pence on the situation, but as said all rumour for now!

Found the link if anyones interested.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=26166