ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replaced Engine Mounts - Still Some Rattle. Normal?

172 Cup
Hi Guys,

I have a 172 cup and the engine mounts have totally had it. In every gear when pulling hard, it would judder and shake. This weekend I replaced the lower mount (dogbone) with a powerflex poly-bushed jobby and the upper left (next to cam cover) and upper right (under battery) with OEM mounts. This has mostly fixed the problem (hurrah!). However, it does still shake a bit under certain circumstances...

If I gun it hard and smooth (eg foot flat all the way from 2k to the red line) there is no rattle. However, if I gun it, then ease off and then quickly come back on full power (eg, boot it in second to 4k, totally lift off for a second, then floor it again to 6k), after I lift off and come back onto the power it shakes like a b*****d again all the way to the redline. It will go away once the engine settles again and I am smooth. Basically, if I am on / off / on / off the power hard then it rattles, if I am smooth it doesn't.

Is this normal for the OEM engine mounts or may I have a problem elsewhere - exhaust mount or something?

Will

172 Cup
Also, how much should you be able to rock the engine by hand? I can move it about 2-3 cm, not quite far enough to touch the rubber stop blocks on the left side engine mount (by the cam cover). Is that about right?