ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing a Coil.

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
Hi,

Please can someone let me know how to change a coil on a 1.4 16v Mk2 ph1 clio. One has gone for the 4th time in a few years and I need to identify which one has gone and then replace it. I've done a search and all the guides are for a coil pack for the ph2.

Also any ideas how much the coil costs. I've had Rentech in poole do my last 3 and it comes to about a ton. Really don't want to fork that out now.

Thanks

Megane dci 130
A tone!?!?

Coils are around 30 quid buddy. You can find them on ebay but get the brown top ones as they have been revised and made better.

To fit, just pull the connector off the offending coil, undo the t30 bolt holding it in and pull it out. Then just fit the new one.

Hope this helps

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
Thanks mate, Yeah looking at there bills it is always about £30-£40 for the part and the rest is diagnostics and labour. That is why I'd much rather do it myself if I could.

One quick question, how do you identify which one the offending one is.

Thanks

Megane dci 130
The best way and the way iv been doing it for years is to unbolt all the coils with the engine off. Then rest them all back in the wells and start her up. Then one by one lift the coil out.

If you hear a snicking noise, that coil is sparking. If you lift one out and it makes no change to the engine note, thats the faulty part.

Hope this helps

120d M-Sport
The best way and the way iv been doing it for years is to unbolt all the coils with the engine off. Then rest them all back in the wells and start her up. Then one by one lift the coil out.

If you hear a snicking noise, that coil is sparking. If you lift one out and it makes no change to the engine note, thats the faulty part.

Hope this helps

Very good guide there Shepperdspie, my PH1 might need a new coil pack, unsure as of yet tho, but great way of testing and fault finding there, cheers for that info :D

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
Thanks mate, Yeah looking at there bills it is always about £30-£40 for the part and the rest is diagnostics and labour. That is why I'd much rather do it myself if I could.

One quick question, how do you identify which one the offending one is.

Thanks

Last edited:
  FTO GPX 2.0 V6

Hope this helps

That is brilliant. Thanks mate.

Would anyone be able to help with a part number for the coil, brown top if possible. The car is a 2001 MK2 ph1 1.4 16v Alize Auto and is the K4J engine. Thanks