ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing front shocks and springs

182 Cup
So today my parts arrived
anedu7uq.jpg

However they look a little odd like there's something missing? Am I supposed to change over a bit from my old shocks to the new shocks?

Also, I have cooksports on the way due to a snapped spring, along with spring compressors. Do I fit the springs before I swap bits over, or after?

I presume I need to remove the bar that I believe is holding the shock down, is that going to cause it to pop up badly?

I've not replaced shocks and springs before so I'm a little lost lol :(

182 Cup
So I had a search failure, couldn't find a guide but found it now. Still wouldn't mind some advice for a a relative noob though. Lol

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep, you need to remove that bar. Won't jump up harshly, no.

No need for spring compressors, so can save yourself a few quid there.

Basically, once the shock and spring assy is off the car, undo the thin 17mm nut on top of the old shock, lift everything from the upper spring cap off the old shocks and springs, and swap onto the new shocks with the cooksports already in place.

Make sure you keep it all in the right order too.

182 Cup
Well, doing the balljoints too and the fcuking driveshafts popped out on the passenger side. No oil leaking as the boots holding it.

How the fcuk do they go back in? :(

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Well, doing the balljoints too and the fcuking driveshafts popped out on the passenger side. No oil leaking as the boots holding it.

How the fcuk do they go back in? :(

Good luck! Last time I had a drive shaft pop I had to undo the gaitor and put it back together with my hands, oil is gonna go everywhere!

182 Cup
Fcuk sticks. I can't be arsed filling the gearbox up with oil after everything I've spent already. b*****d

330i. E30 Touring.
Don't panic too much. You just need to turn the shaft and push it back into the box if you've still got the gaitor on it.

182 Cup
Thanks budgie. That's calmed me down a bit. It's tied up so it can't go anywhere else right now. Just a pain in the arse.

Thanks budgie. That's calmed me down a bit. It's tied up so it can't go anywhere else right now. Just a pain in the arse.

If you're still struggling there's no particularly catastrophic reason why you can't drain the oil, disconnect the gaiter from the gearbox so that you can have a really good look and see what you're doing as you are putting the driveshaft back in rather than doing it blind. Then refill the box with the same oil.

Yes, it definitely takes longer doing it like that & yes you should be able to get the driveshaft back in without doing any of the above. But it's a guaranteed solution if you can't get it back in within 10 minutes or so.

* Drain the gearbox oil (small plug undearneath geabox. No need to remove any undertray etc. You will need an "8mm sump socket" though - less than a fiver from a shop. Also need 3L of trays/ice cream tubs/yoghurt pots/whatever)
* Undo the 3 (IIRC) 12mm (IIRC) hex head bolts holding the driveshaft CV gaitor to the gearbox
* Pull the rubber gaitor away from the gearbox a little bit as you put the driveshaft back in, so that you can A) see what you're doing and B) be confident it's gone in properly if you've not done this sort of thing before
* Do the 3 bolts back up on the gaitor
* Use 30cm of garden hosepipe (perfect diameter) and a funnel to pour all of the oil back in (you could even filter the oil through a kitchen siive or something if you're keen)

Last edited:
  182 Cup
I -think- it's back in. Ball joints are on, just need to torque them up. Then onto steering rack bushes as I've got to wait while tomorrow (hopefully) for the springs.

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
So today my parts arrived
anedu7uq.jpg

However they look a little odd like there's something missing? Am I supposed to change over a bit from my old shocks to the new shocks?

Also, I have cooksports on the way due to a snapped spring, along with spring compressors. Do I fit the springs before I swap bits over, or after?

I presume I need to remove the bar that I believe is holding the shock down, is that going to cause it to pop up badly?

I've not replaced shocks and springs before so I'm a little lost lol :(

Yep, you need to remove that bar. Won't jump up harshly, no.

No need for spring compressors, so can save yourself a few quid there.

Basically, once the shock and spring assy is off the car, undo the thin 17mm nut on top of the old shock, lift everything from the upper spring cap off the old shocks and springs, and swap onto the new shocks with the cooksports already in place.

Make sure you keep it all in the right order too.

The springs you're putting in, I'm guessing they're lowering springs??

Are the springs on there already lowering springs??

If no to either you will definately want spring compressors!! You don't want a top nut smacking you in the head!!

330i. E30 Touring.

If no to either you will definately want spring compressors!! You don't want a top nut smacking you in the head!!

You don't need spring compressors for any 1*2 springs.

Trust me

182 Cup

I took the old ones to pieces without compressors in the end and there was very little tension on them really so hopefully the new springs will go on without compressors lol :D

Megane 225 f1

Will be a little more than a smack in the head! More like take your head off!

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
I took the old ones to pieces without compressors in the end and there was very little tension on them really so hopefully the new springs will go on without compressors lol :D

Brave!!!

Will be a little more than a smack in the head! More like take your head off!

I know someone who did this once, not taking his head off, but a nut to the head...
I just wish I'd been there to see it!! Lmfao Valver16

182 Cup
How in gods name are you supposed to reach and undo the bolts on the steering rack. It's a bstard

182 Cup
Thanks for the offer chip, hoping it won't come to that lol.

Reckon I might need to get it a bit higher, but luckily the struts are off and I can get in from the side a bit. Having another go tomorrow lol

182 Cup
I will do mate, thanks very much :)

To top things off, one of my carbine Lorraine's has died, the friction materials fallen off the backing plate. To be fair, they had 17k out of them and a trackday, but they still had about 3mm left on them. Fresh set of normal pagids going on as I already had to buy springs lol:(

182 Cup
Passenger side is done. That was a t**t. The drivers side is even worse. Bracket is off I just can't get the motherfcuking rubber out now.

182 Cup
The guide says there's more space on the drivers side, according to my car that's complete b****cks. I can't even reach the top bolt to remove it from the bracket and replace it, let alone get the bush out of the housing. The rack just seems to be rotating up, not pulling forward and I can't figure out how I'm going to get the bush out without mangling it more.

I also can't get onto the housing bolt. If this job -ever- comes up again, I'm paying someone to do it