ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing Gear Linkage and Selector? 2001 1.2 Clio.

2001 1.2 Clio Black.
Hello all..

Ive had my Clio now for about a year and ive constantly had excessive play in the gearstick.. the car has done 115k miles so its understandable..
I can pretty much move the gearstick left and right while in gear and it wobbles all over the place..

Just have two questions to ask..

Is replacing the Gear Linkage and Selector hard? or is it a simple pop out and new one in job?
And do you think a new, well... less mileage linkage and selector would stop the excessive play?

All 1.2s wobble about in gear and are slack as s**t, the Renaultsports are only marginally better too, I wouldn't bother unless it's causing serious problems.

Monaco 172
Doesnt replacing the dogbone mount bushes help with this. My 1.2 did the same tbh but just never bothered with it :race:

2001 1.2 Clio Black.
Its just a big pain in the arse and is horrible to drive...

Already replaced the dogbone mount.. think it helped for about 2 weeks lol.

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
If its moving side to side in gear fella, i doubt it will help.
My 172 does this and is well annoying! So far i've changed the gear linkage, polybushed the dogbone mount, changed the gear selector rod at the gearbox end, fitted a solid metal bush between the selector and linkage, and changed the gear stick for a short shift gear stick and it still moves around side to side in gear!!!!!
I think i've finally worked out what needs changing to stop it though, its the white plastic bush thats held in with a circlip (it holds the ball part of the selector arm in the gearbox). Going to change this when the weather gets a bit nicer but i'm 99% sure thats whats causing the left and right movement while in gear.

Hope that helps

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
In case of genuine gear linkage, gear lever, replacing the white plastic bush / ball shells in the gearbox housing won't stop the play in itself. You should replace all bushes and gear stick ball joint housing for solid, modified ones. I have these bits, drop me a PM if you're interested.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
IMAG0002.jpg

probably needs one of these (depends on year of car if it has this part)

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
This bush is often worn in a Clio gear linkage. Additionally this small part is combined with a rubber spacer. The snapped rubber spacer causes excessive play. A redesigned version of this bush is included in my gear linkage conversion kit.

Clio cup
This bush is often worn in a Clio gear linkage. Additionally this small part is combined with a rubber spacer. The snapped rubber spacer causes excessive play. A redesigned version of this bush is included in my gear linkage conversion kit.