ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing tappets

R35 GTR
Got a tappy sound occasionally between 1000 and 1250rpm. If I rev hard it disappears for a while, so think it is tappets.

What is involved in replacing these? Need to know as if cambelt needs to come off I'll get it all done at my next service, when I get cambelt done.

Also, what are the part numbers and prices please?

Lionel Richie
cambelt off, cam pulleys off, rocker cover off, cams out

i highly doubt its tapets mate, but then again you did have a knackered oil pump IIRC?

if you've got warrenty just blow the fucker up and get a new engine

R35 GTR
cambelt off, cam pulleys off, rocker cover off, cams out

i highly doubt its tapets mate, but then again you did have a knackered oil pump IIRC?

if you've got warrenty just blow the f**ker up and get a new engine

warranty has run out now.:dapprove:

I think i may as well just run the engine into the ground, might do oil changes.

With the cost of replacement engines around £1k fitted low mileage one, verses repairs and cambelt......i know which is the better idea.

Oil pump was knackered yes, I hope its not serious as it has been 7000 miles since the engine oil ran dry.lol. and this sound comes and goes quite randomly, and appears to be round the filler cap area. Which is why i think it's tappets.

R35 GTR
Get near the limiter? If you mean do I hammer it all the way up the rev range on a daily basis that would be a big yes.

Lionel Richie
where does it limit at though? we had a mk1 in with a knackered roller rocker and it stopped reving (not like hitting the limiter) at 6500rpm

R35 GTR
Well I am sure I have hit the limiter recently, and also sure I have got to 7000, but I usually change around 6500 now.

Will have to double check this later once its warmed up again.

clio rsi!
na, more likley to be a smashed roller, does the car get anywhere near the limiter?

whats this smashed roller part mate? mines ive always assumed "tappy" and it was the tappets at fault.....its always been serviced etc.....just wondering what this smashed roller is all about no ones mentionned it to me before today....??? il check where she limits now...got an excuse to go out ;)

Lionel Richie
we had a mk1 172 in for a cam conversion a while back and it had a smashed roller rocker, so it had been a 2.0l 15v from factory!

was kicking out 138bhp! LOL

R35 GTR
Well my car is kicking out around 146 at the wheels about a month ago, this problem has been around longer than that.

Also the limit is still at 7250.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
if it taps, especially whilst pootling round town whilst warm, then dissapears onced revved... then returns, its the carbon cannister, they have a solinoid that gets very tappy/noisy, £44 for a new one
(Its underneath the drivers headlight, under the bumper)

Deja vu 182
just had new set of tappets under warranty on 2 year old 182 tapped in the morning for about 30 seconds seems to have gone wouldn t like to pay for job

Mondeo TDCI 130
just had new set of tappets under warranty on 2 year old 182 tapped in the morning for about 30 seconds seems to have gone wouldn t like to pay for job

im suprised renault payed for that! if they hadnt actually failed you were lucky! bet they just put thick oil in it......

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i thought its the lifters with no oil in that would make the noise, not the tappets?!

i'd still put money on it being the cannister mind

R35 GTR
if it taps, especially whilst pootling round town whilst warm, then dissapears onced revved... then returns, its the carbon cannister, they have a solinoid that gets very tappy/noisy, £44 for a new one
(Its underneath the drivers headlight, under the bumper)

I thought that, but if you take the oil filler cap off it gets louder....I hope it is that though.

Deja vu 182
no they changed the oil first they said the noise had gone , went to pick it up it was still there , it sounded like one was slightly carboned up so wasn t getting proper oil flow until oil thinned a bit . sounds spot on now

clio rsi!
anyone got any idea what a mk1 rsi should rev up to?!?!?

it mainly sounds tappy when its just sat ticking over hence why i ddnt think it could be anything other than the tappets...

oh and my limiter does work as i found out lol at 6100rpm......

tbh im going with its an old engine thats french.... :(

R35 GTR
I need to get it serviced this week, so hope it goes away then.

I noticed that it burnt most the oil in not many miles, now its not losing much at all. I think renault may have put thinner oil in, but since I have been topping up with 5w-40 its not losing as much.