ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

"Rescued" Clio 172...

New member saying Hi and some pics of my project car.
Just a bit of of background. I bought this car a fortnight ago and am getting it roadworthy again - its been lying in the sales yard of a friend of mines this past nine months or so, and i felt a bit sorry for it. I negotiated a "fair" price for it, with the aim being to MOT it, service it, and perform some tidy up on it, then maybe buzzing about in it for a little while, then sell on.

Spec wise, its a 2002 Clio 172, fitted with Cup (?) alloys. Other upgrades - added 80 miles ago (but 9+ months) are

=> GAZ Gas adjustable suspension front and rear
=> Strut braces front and rear
=> Induction Kit
=> Decat
=> Big bore exhaust. Need to check exactly whats happening there, but it has a four branch manifold (not sure if this is standard on these?) and at least a stainless steel back box. Will know more tomorrow when i get a closer look at the car underneath.
=> Brembo ventilated, grooved discs and pads.
=> Four brand new tyres
=> New battery

Just back from my mechanic after full MOT check (northern ireland here so MOT prep then take to an MOT centre). Couple of track rod ends fitted, a hazard warning light switch, an earth strap and the headlight tightened up

Still to be done
=> Legal number plates
=> new rear number plate light (ordered)
=> exhaust bracket welded on to tail box (removed by previous owner for some reason)

Jobs after that are

=> Get it MOTd
=> refit a standard stereo. Dopey aftermarket one sitting out of slot at present
=> rebuild second key (in about 4 bits in glovebox)
=> new fitted mats
=> alloy wheel refurb in anthacite
=> replace aerial on roof (removed and gromit fitted)
=> new induction filter (rusty)
=> full polish and valet
=> see what history i can piece together about the car (loads of receipts in glovebox)

I'm going to use this thread for updates on progress, so more pics to follow.
smile.gif

Sorry mate, welcome!

Just an observation, of course! Glad to see one being rescued!

LOL

No probs.

Yes, thats the view i took. The guys a mate and he was pondering breaking it for parts, although knowing the same guy it could have lay there for another year. Seemed too good for that. I'll sort out whatever needs sorting and buzz around in it for a while

I cant see me retrofitting the xenons though its a shame they're missing.

Do you happen to know what CD player it should have as standard? I need to order one off of ebay.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
iirc, its a cabasse maybe?

Xenons are around £100 so not overly dear to put back if you wanted mate! Don't have them posted if you can avoid it, though..

A Few
Hi & Welcome.... That 172 definitely looks worth saving, glad its getting some TLC. Good Luck with the repairs

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Welcome mate! Great to see another Northern Ireland member.

I knew of two guys from Lurgan area that owned this 172.

Yellow fogs would be the first thing I'd remove, looks incredibly tacky.

I've never had any issues with a 3/4 front plate by the way so highly recommend it [emoji106]

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Forgot to recommend a VW Up aerial is awesome. Avoid the really short aerials like the popular Citroën one guys on here get, it doesn't pick up our local radio stations whereas the Up unit does very well.

If you're short on funds there's always a market for Turinis that you can put towards other, more profitable, areas.

Gotta lose the KTECH sticker though!

Money isnt really an issue but as its a weekend toy that i'll punt on at some point, i dont want to be spending a fortune that i know i wont get back

I did a VR6 Caddy van last year - bought it in a sorry state and did all the work including a respray and G60 rims to get it back up to something with wow factor again. Broke even ish with it so hoping to do the same with this and have a bit of fun in between

Welcome mate! Great to see another Northern Ireland member.

I knew of two guys from Lurgan area that owned this 172.

Yellow fogs would be the first thing I'd remove, looks incredibly tacky.

I've never had any issues with a 3/4 front plate by the way so highly recommend it [emoji106]

Yeah its up for MOT on monday morning, so i'll getting it home after that and start to sort the wee bits and pieces out that i want to do.

Looking forward to getting out and about in it.

Well defeat snatched from the jaws of victory this morning as the car failed its MOT.
I'm in NI so you take it to a government MOT centre, after having had it checked in advance by your mechanic.
Handbrake cable snapped when i pulled up to the MOT centre to park, so whilst annoyed about that thats not the biggest of my problems.
The car failed the emissions test - CO was borderline high but "OK". Hydrocarbons were at one point off the scale but settled at about 1800 which is still way too high.
I'm leaving it with my mechanic towards the end of the week but he didnt inspire me with confidence about resolving that one. EML is on, so hes going to read the codes and see what it says.
Anyone had this or have any thoughts or pointers?

I honestly dont know. I meant to get mechanic to check. :(
Will have to wait to the mechanic gets its and sees whats happening i guess.
Found some other stuff on the forum here and misadjusted plugs, worn plugs, plug leads or a faulty coil would do it too. (also worn valves or cyllinder head gasket leak but i dont want to think about that!!!). Those would fit with the EML being on too and the slightly lumpy idle. Didnt have time to plug it in this morn to my reader, and its now parked up at my folks until the mechanic can look at it, as they live just down the road form him

Well just to update. It did have a catalytic converter so i put a Cataclean treatment through it.
We also found that the coil pack was cracked on it and seemed to have been getting water in to it (rusty water marks around the crack), so we replaced it.
Also put new plugs in it and for completeness new racing plug leads.
New handbrake cable and the headlight sorted.
So it passed today!
Next steps, new induction kit, and then a good clean and polish.
More pics to follow then.