ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

resolving problem with rumbling on right turn

80MPG BEEZA
I set out to try and figure out what was causing the car to get a rumbling noise when putting on revs when i turn right, the faster i take a corner the more likely it is to happen, of the more power i put down whilst negotiating a corner.

we checked track rod ends,arm bushes and anti roll bar bushes and everything is tight as 16 year old virgin even moved whel up and down and suspension is working great no noises, and no play in the wheel, the only play i seem to be able to get it at the driveshaft near the gearbox, isnt much you can barely notice it but it does have some play in it, anyone got any ideas?

cv joint at gearbox? any bearing that would be most likely?

fitted my race battery to :) 16kg loss

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Wheel bearing?

How did fitting a new battery save you 16kg?

80MPG BEEZA
no play in wheel! definitely isnt a wheel bearing unless it would do it in a straightline it does it while cornering only

and i went from a 2.6 stone exide battery to a red top :)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
When my wheel bearing went was no play in the wheel and only did it at certains speeds/ angles. Front ones are only about £20-£30 i think and don't need to be pressed in and as it's quite a common thing on the 1*2s i'd start looking there.

80MPG BEEZA
well i had a passenger in and he said when it did it he could feel it in the foot well

and all engine mounts are spot on to

80MPG BEEZA
sorry i lost 10.4kg changing batteries i forgot to deduct the weight of the race battery from the old one

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Good weight saving that!

I'd try the wheel bearing myself, seems next logical step.

ati

Clio Dynamique
hi

i hear that wierd rumble noise as well when i make the turns or go over bumbs is like small knocking rubmling noise is usully cocequtive and always the same number and noise everytime.

can someone tell me if they identified it and fixed it.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
Hi mate i had a rumble/grind on the passenger wheel on my 172 but would only do it when cornering hard right (trackdays) it felt like the tyre was flat,i changed wheel bearing,engine mounts and wish bone and still did it,i started to look towards driveshaft/cv but sold the car

LY 182
in my opinion the only 2 things it can be are the outer cv joint or a misaligned engine/knackered mount.
go to a car park and put it on full lock both directions and drive at a slow speed, if you can hear a knocking its the cv joint, if it only happens when throwing it out id say its a mount -- what happens is when cornering the engine swings over to one side in much the same way you are thrown to one side in your seat, and the engine leans against the driveshaft which in turn leans against the cv joint bearings causing your noise. - both driveshafts should have some end float in them.
tends to happen on polos alot.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
in my opinion the only 2 things it can be are the outer cv joint or a misaligned engine/knackered mount.
go to a car park and put it on full lock both directions and drive at a slow speed, if you can hear a knocking its the cv joint, if it only happens when throwing it out id say its a mount -- what happens is when cornering the engine swings over to one side in much the same way you are thrown to one side in your seat, and the engine leans against the driveshaft which in turn leans against the cv joint bearings causing your noise. - both driveshafts should have some end float in them.
tends to happen on polos alot.

i changed all the mounts and it still did it

Clio MkII 172 K reg
Hi mate i had a rumble/grind on the passenger wheel on my 172 but would only do it when cornering hard right (trackdays) it felt like the tyre was flat,i changed wheel bearing,engine mounts and wish bone and still did it,i started to look towards driveshaft/cv but sold the car
Had exactly the same thing. it was a right hand driveshaft.

ati

Clio Dynamique
hi

how much did it cost to get that sorted and did it happend only when you turn right not over speed bumsbs and when you change gears from 1 to 2?

thanks

80MPG BEEZA
i'll go out and try the lock to lock thing and all the mounts are new so i may loosen them off and try and pull the engine over abit see if that helps, and we'll go from their

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
As said, wheel doesnt need to have play in it. It should make a noise irrelavent of whether you go round corners or not.

My money is on driveshaft/cv.

80MPG BEEZA
right just took it out, when on full lock driving either way it doesnt make any knocks or bangs,

when driving extremely quick turning right it doesnt do anything either other the wheel spin and understeer,

when i go full lock left really quickly its ok until im going really quick or start adding more power or go on and off the power it starts making the juddering/grinding/knocking noise

opinions? their must be something that is most likely

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
wishbone bushes - happened to mine took me ages to figure it out

you sure jon? they seem really tight and no play in the mobing the arm up and down?

i was told thats what would be up with mine so put a new wishbone on and made no difference,When mine did it there was a certain point when it would start after i'd put a certain amount of lock,but i'd struggle to do it on the road needed to be going really quick

As jon said check the winhbones also top mount, engine mounts and top bearings can be wonky.

Check the wheels ballencing has been done check the tracking and then bearings you can tell if them though jack the car up and check for play/spin them. Then check check driveshafts

80MPG BEEZA
seems like the inner or outer cv joint to me and since the passenger side has split twice i dont reckon they've packed it with enough grease

Clio 182.
Look under the front bumber on the left hand side. The left front wheel arch has a really strange horizontal flap that points towards the front bumber.

I was experiencing a horrible grinding noise when turning right. Basically, this little flap had broken, so when i went above a certain speed, or the wind caught it, this flap would bend down, back into the road and scrape along the floor.

I know this sounds stupid, but its worth checking out, cos the scraping noise was so bad it sounded mechanical.

My input to this, mine was doing this ever since ive had the car, i changed to a williams wide track at the weekend, so replaced the arb and wishbones, and its gone, so must have been one of those items.

182 trackday racer
Don't know if this is any help but a common problem seems to be the upper (drivers right) engine mount. It tends to move a lot especially during hard track driving and hard cornering. This make the driveshafts bottom out causing sounds similar to what you describe.

This may be a solution:

6724-new_2007-05-28-img_0012.jpg

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Just had my drivers side driveshaft on my 172 Phase 1 replaced , (Reconditioned shaft i believe) and getting the rumbling sound when reasonably fast cornering. Thought it was tyre at first, but checked the pressures. Will change the wheels at weekend see if that helps- could it be the replaced driveshaft? Seems earlier in the thread it was suggested it could be inner/outer CV joint? Was a reconditioned unit- would've thought it been ok.

Same as the sound when tyre pressures are set lowish for track use, and hacking round tight corners at a circuit- sounds like the tyre is flat