ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Respectable alloys?

Renault Clio Campus 1.2
Middo said:
the pic is of 15'' ones, but if they come in a 16'' i'd have gone for them. didnt at the time, so im not sure now.

when fitting aftermarket alloys, its going to be difficult to judge on the new clio what the perfect offset is, so just buy some that are as close to the original offset as possible.
No i dont think they come in 16"
But I think the asa ones (what i pasted on to post above) come in 16 but i cant remember where i found them and ive cleared my history!

im not getting the latest model clio, its a campus is that a mk2? how do i find out the offset?(and what exactly is it anyway?!)

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
way i look at it is this, iuf you are buying a 1.2, you dont care about performace, so go for looks, bigger wheels (well theres a limit) look better. you cant really lose any speed, the 1.2 hasnt got any in the first place!

a set of 18s will slide on your clio, as will 17s.

I think putting small wheels on a 1.2 clio is a waste of time, you are obiously after wheels to enchance the looks of your car, 15" and 16" wheels look pants unless they are ona stripped out track car.

Personally I'd go for 17s or 18s. Im startingto think 17s are getting a little too normal these days.

And what ever you do, budget for lowering, theres no point having flash alloys with standard ride height.

All personal opinions of a 1.2 8V Clio owner, soon to be on 19" rims.

So take my post with a pinch of salt.

Renault Clio Campus 1.2
Crazy Clio said:
way i look at it is this, iuf you are buying a 1.2, you dont care about performace, so go for looks, bigger wheels (well theres a limit) look better. you cant really lose any speed, the 1.2 hasnt got any in the first place!

a set of 18s will slide on your clio, as will 17s.

I think putting small wheels on a 1.2 clio is a waste of time, you are obiously after wheels to enchance the looks of your car, 15" and 16" wheels look pants unless they are ona stripped out track car.

Personally I'd go for 17s or 18s. Im startingto think 17s are getting a little too normal these days.

And what ever you do, budget for lowering, theres no point having flash alloys with standard ride height.

All personal opinions of a 1.2 8V Clio owner, soon to be on 19" rims.

So take my post with a pinch of salt.

Im taking note of all opinions! what extent would 17" have on the campus then? im not a racer anyway, but i wouldnt mind a bit of acceleration somewhere!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Considering the rolling radius of a 17" wheel on a 205/40 is the same as a 15" wheel with 185/55 (standard clio alloys) you wouldn't experience any decrease in speed, but the ride would be harsher.

The Beast MK4
Large wheels don't suit the clio. Make it 15's or 16's. Im down by Lanark btw mate and a former Bell College student so I was up in Hamilton all the time!, lots of members up your way, EK and that.

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
you wouldnt expericance a decrease in speed?course u wud... 17's are about a trllion times heavier so take aot more effort to turn!

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
and my ride n 17's with lowered 60mm is awesome...please try and roll it or make it over/under steer. mission impossible!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
b3nje said:
and my ride n 17's with lowered 60mm is awesome...please try and roll it or make it over/under steer. mission impossible!

b3nje I think you're confusing "ride" with "handling". Ride is the cars ability to isolate you, the driver, from any defects in the road surface. A Clio with 60mm lowering springs will suffer in the ride department, adding wheels with rubber bands for tyres will only add to this.

Sure you can live with it, but it's what you want in the end that counts.

P.S. You can get 15 inch wheels that weigh more than 17 inch wheels, again, it goes for which ones you choose, should you want lead wheels, maybe it will affect the acceleration and performance, but if they're a standard increase of a couple of inches, maybe a couple of kilos will be added in weight per corner, go on a diet and you'll be back where you started...

Turbos.
You need to lower it first. My 1.2 on 16s looked a joke. Don't draw attention to the 2 foot arch gap, it will look so stupid.

Smash your piggy bank, thieve from your parents, mug a grandma, sell crack, whatever. Get FK Coilovers. I reckon if you removed the hubcaps and ran around on the bare black steelies it would look pretty cool!

Renault Clio Campus 1.2
cliobuyer said:
I reckon if you removed the hubcaps and ran around on the bare black steelies it would look pretty cool!

lol :D! i might well end up doin that!! whats coilovers? someone has suggested get an apex suspension kit for £250.

was thinking of wearin out tyres while saving for the kit and alloys then get them both done at same time when tyres need replacing?

A well built VW
B3nje - not all 17s weight more than 15s I have a set of 18s that weight a hell of a lot less than the set of 16s that are on my car at the moment !!!

Coilovers = £450 + £100min fitting if you can afford it they are good

I ran mine with 30mm H&R springs and 17 Oz Supperleggeras (In my opinion one of the nicest wheels you can buy for the clio) and noticed no differnece in acceleration but a dramatic increase in handling but did wish it was a bit lower which the Apex would give -40 or -60 depending on kit chosen

Tyres can be worn down in weeks depending on driving styles and what tread is on them If i was you and you want to do it on a budget look out for second hand sets with good tyres they will be much cheaper i have never lost money on the last 3 sets of alloys i have had if you can get em cheap enough just keep your eyes open for a bargain i.e. local cruise sites, ebay and here (postage if needed is only £36) or look on local motor factors like motorworld etc who run special offers from time to time

Oh and im from Dunfermline - keep an eye out in the meets section we do have regular meets which get bigger and bigger each time

Renault Clio Campus 1.2
cheers for the help mate. i'll keep stewing on what to do while i wear them down(could be long time then as im a bit an easy going driver!)

meeets sound good but im not sure for a few reasons- i know f**k all about cars, only having a campus, cant afford to have it done up like most ive seen on here! (and i dont drive fast!)

M2 Competition
Thats what meets are about mate.

Everyones friendly, we have a laugh, and you'll get loadsa help and advice on your car.

Doesnt matter what you drive mate, its a clio, so thats a good start!

A well built VW
^ Yep what he said conversation rarely touches on cars to be honest other than general chit chat Also gives you a chance to see in the flesh what others have done for inspiration etc... and most are friendly

Clio Mk1 1.4RT
My '93 1.4RT is on Fox Racing 6 Evo 15's and is lowered 80mm with GAZ fully adjustable suspension and there is no rubbing. Putting anything big such as 17's, 18's, 19's etc.. can affect the steering qualities. If your planning on lowering it I would stick to something like 15-16's. Also if you put 17's on before its lowered it can look like a 4x4! That's my opinion, but if you want big wheels go for it!