ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Retrofit cruise to a phase 1 172

I would like to know if it is possible to put cruise control on a phase 1 172
If it can be done I would guess that the following would need to be done:
change ecu to a siemens sirius 34 ecu from a 172/182 with cruise (I know this will need unlocking etc)
change steering wheel to one with cruise buttons
fit the cruise switch that is on the right of the steering wheel
change the brake light switch to one for a car with cruise
install any wires between said components

Is it as simple (!) as that or am I miles off?

172, Tiguan
You'll also need a ph2 throttle body+ pedal setup. I'd also imagine you might need a few other bits as well.

I would imagine a switch for the clutch pedal would be needed as well.

As when the clutch is pressed in the Megane and the cruise is on, it disengages.

Yup probably - same with the 182

Dunno, read / heard that somewhere as would like it on mine

hmm maybe I'm being thick then (quite possible!) but I can't see the link between an esp and cruise system. plenty of cars have cruise but no traction control

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It'll possibly be because vehicles with ESP have the requirements (hardware wise) that cruise needs: brake pedal switch, clutch pedal switch, clock ring with capacity for wheel button wiring due to having an SAS.

Deffo can't be done on a phase 1 without changing the ECU, MTU and throttle setup. On a phase 2 it's a bit easier as its bolt on stuff, a bit of wiring followed by some CLIP time.

Mick

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I doubt it... The stepper mechanism alone to hold and actuate the cable throttle alone would be a huge job to fit and get working not to mention the controls which is why Renault never had cruise until they did away with cable driven bodies.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Ah fair enough! Must be possible on cabled tbs though, it's been around in America since the 50s iirc. Tbh I don't miss t when I don't have it so never bothered me enough to look into it

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Oh yeah it's possible but as above you would need something to stop the cable movement and the advance/r****d the throttle position.

Vauxhall have had a system that does this for years but it's far easier with a dbw tb setup

Clio 172
Has anyone actually done this to a phase 2? I did see a post someone made, they lived in Europe, but sadly the diagrams where in another language :(

I'm up for doing it, if it's definitely possible/viable

Right...
On a ph1 its night on impossible, without changing the entire interior loom/uch/engine loom/ecu to ph2 items. then you need a ph2 dash etc as nothing would be in the same place.

On a ph2:New switch panel
774B4971-080F-4214-BFF1-9007981EFE40-1670-00000167148A6B5F.jpg

IMG_8336.jpg

Then a new steering wheel and squib fitted today:
IMG_8334.jpg

IMG_8337.jpg

Which then enabled:
4768257A-422B-4B5A-891C-6DA01FB23F95-1670-000001671FA501E7.jpg

IMG_8335.jpg

Cruise control :D

ESP isn't needed. Nor is any time on CLIP.

Old post bump but it seems the most suitable place.
I have a 2002 Ph2 172 which doesnt have cruise. I assume from your post above I can fit those two components and then it will "just work"?
Is the plug for the cruise buttons behind that dash panel?
What about the plug for the steering wheel? What do they look like?
Cheers

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It depends on your cars loom... Some early cars weren't wired for it, so check.