ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rev Limiter

2003 clio sport 172
Went out in my 172 yesterday and although the temp guage was reading norm, the rev limiter cut in @6200!! then later on it cut in @7000!!
is it changed by the ECU dependant on wehther the engine is warmed properly???
I dont like to give it welly when not proper warmed up but thought she was.

M

mini-valver

The temp gauge is coolant temp not oil. You booted it when the oil was'nt fully upto temp and so the ECU lowers the limiter so you don't cabbage the engine. Oil needs a good 15 minutes iof running to get fully warmed up amd thinned out!

Tut tut ;)

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
I find mine has a different red line in every gear, but agree that tooling it when cold is not a good idea.

172 CUP
im sure mines cut in around 6200rpm

then 5 secs later at over 7000rpm

Couldnt understand why

car had been driven over 30mins so certianly not cold

172 CUP
each gear different on the limter?

as it was 3 and 4th that cut short

but 2nd was fine

thought it was strange

172 FF
mine seems to limit different in every gear and the shift light comes on at different times too. eg in first its on by about 5k and second not till 6.5k I though thats how its mean't to be?

mine seems to limit different in every gear and the shift light comes on at different times too. eg in first its on by about 5k and second not till 6.5k I though thats how its mean't to be?

Should always be 200 or 300 rpm before the red line of that gear (I forget which) theres a 50rpm tolerance from memory.

ph1 172... Sold:(
Mine hit's the limiter at 6750 if not yet warm (only experienced this a couple of times, now i know better) and 7250 when warmed.

Not noticed any change depending on gear, but then I've only hit it in 2nd and 3rd.

Incedentally, mine doesn't have the shift light. Isn't peak power at about 6.5k anyway?

nb mine is a ph1

Last edited:
  172 FF
yea you accelerate faster if you get out of 1st quick and into 2nd where all those rev's take you some where. Found this out when doing a few 0-60 runs. i was a fair bit slower if i reved more in 1st and faster if i only reved to about 4.5-5k in 1st it was quicker.

mine's set to 7600rpm... although on a couple of occasions (once having a blast against a mate RX7) it went off the clock.

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
I deffo need a remap, when my pug d-turbo had one it could almost match the revs on my clio - a diesel should never be able to do that

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
yea you accelerate faster if you get out of 1st quick and into 2nd where all those rev's take you some where. Found this out when doing a few 0-60 runs. i was a fair bit slower if i reved more in 1st and faster if i only reved to about 4.5-5k in 1st it was quicker.

The laws of physics suggest the opposite is the case. That because the gap between first and second gears is very wide on the Clio Sport you need to hold first to just before the rev limiter cuts in or when you go into second your revs will be too low.

There might be a reason that's not the case, but off the top of my head the only thing I can think of is what happens on some really powerful cars, that you get wheelspin when you go into 2nd and the traction control cuts your acceleration, so you're actually better off by short-shifting so it doesn't do that. But, my Clio hasn't got enough power to to do that.

I have to say though that I concluded at the drag strip that that might be the case in first. That you actually get a better time by driving it away from the start without any wheelspin than you do by picking up a few revs, dropping the throttle, and leaving it to the traction control to limit the wheelspin by cutting back the throttle.

a thirsty one
i thought (no expert) they have a 2 stage limiter, first limiter is set a little lower once you have hit the first limiter the second higher limiter is then used.

it makes sense really having the first lower limiter there just incase and for safety then once the ecu knows your in a rush the second one is used. that first limiter has always hit me by surprise, hopefully remap next year will elminate this. (peugeot gti 180's have the 2 stage limiter also i believe)

2003 clio sport 172
The temp gauge is coolant temp not oil. You booted it when the oil was'nt fully upto temp and so the ECU lowers the limiter so you don't cabbage the engine. Oil needs a good 15 minutes iof running to get fully warmed up amd thinned out!

Tut tut ;)

Ooops!!!
I will take more care in the future and give it the 10-15 min warm up.
As for the limiter when properly warm it is different through the gears as shift light comes on earlier in 4th than 2nd or 3rd on mine. Not quite managed it in 5th yet!!!

LY 182
traction controll just cuts the power down to the very maximum it can give without loosing traction,
feels great in big power automatics such as xkr's you floor it you get 1 wheelspin and it digs in and launches off