ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ricardos Petrol Blue Supercharged 182 Project

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
This looks tremendous, I can't say how much I appreciate a project with good photos, this is one of those projects.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Really appreciate that a lot, I'm a big fan of your project and as you say it's the photos that make it. It's really frustrating when you open up a potentially good project thread to see pages of photos taken in bad light, blurred, poor quality.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Really appreciate that a lot, I'm a big fan of your project and as you say it's the photos that make it. It's really frustrating when you open up a potentially good project thread to see pages of photos taken in bad light, blurred, poor quality.

You'd best get your camera skillz up to scratch then sunshine !

;)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Never nice to hear of sad things going on behind the scenes for members, sorry to hear it.

Project looks brilliant, as said, photos are key.

Most importantly I think it needs different wheels, 182 wheels just don't scream supercharged. Ultra's... perfect.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Never nice to hear of sad things going on behind the scenes for members, sorry to hear it.

Project looks brilliant, as said, photos are key.

Most importantly I think it needs different wheels, 182 wheels just don't scream supercharged. Ultra's... perfect.

Cheers Rob

16" Matt Grey OZ Ultras are on the wish list, will decide when it's finished. Potential icing on the cake for the car.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Superb choice tbh, they looks so purposeful on them. Will have to meet up with you and bobby J soon for a pint.

It was either Ultras or Pro Race 1.2s in anthracite, Ultras edge it but it's down to money, we'll see. A beer sounds good, I'll have to pop over to the infamous 'Unit' too

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Not much to report really, I've just had a phone call from a friend who's dealing with communications with the chap doing the conversion. So the Clio is booked in to start on Monday 10th March, and start this means literally taking it apart on that Monday. The plan is to work on it in the evenings that week, then hopefully be done the working week after that. So we're looking at having it completed in about 2 working weeks all going well. I have 99% of the parts, the 1% I don't have will not stop the bulk of the work being done. It's parts like missing jubilee clips for the Forge coolant hoses, phase 1 fuel sender and I'm still waiting on the mapped ECU.

So when I started the project I wrote everything down to keep track of what parts I needed to buy and how much it was all costing. I really don't mind how much I'm spending, I knew it would be hundreds and with the initial expense of the kit it would run over the 2k mark. I still think with what I have to pay for the conversion to be done it will come in so much less than a drive in drive out somewhere else, there's also the satisfaction in knowing I'll be donning the gloves and getting dirty helping out with the conversion. The very worst case scenario I envisage is a blown supercharger, I'm too far in to stop and won't so if it comes to it I'll just have to buy another.

So a breakdown of parts and prices so far:

Supercharger kit £1450
Megane 225 crank pulley £46.79
Boost hoses £49.40
Aerosol spray for I/C £13.98
Cambelt kit and waterpump £156.94
Aux belt £15.00
Sundries (oil, filter, sump plug washer, Type D coolant) £47.68
Header tank £13.50
Valeo clutch £79.00
Forge coolant hoses £115
Aux belt tensioner £15

So total spend so far is £2002.29

Writing everything down helps me to keep my brain uncluttered and can refer to the lists every time I need to check what's going on, if anything comes to mind too I'll jot it down. I've been scouring the net for parts and prices so yet again writing info down on how to go about doing things with what parts also helps. I think the last few pieces I need to purchase is the induction set up.

Would just like to say a big thanks so far to Adam at Renault Wolverhampton for the OE parts, I also have a friend who works for Motor Parts Direct who's sorted me out on parts, Carparts 4 less for the header tank, AutoSiliconHoses for the boost hoses, Scott for the Forge coolant hoses. There's a couple of others that I've new or decent condition parts in the last week or 2 but unfortunately forgotten their names.

12883719833_277e646e4a_b.jpg

. by Ricard o1, on Flickr

12883759903_6a78f2400f_b.jpg

12883771233_14891c80c8_b.jpg

12884066034_9ba9263c6d_b.jpg

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Good to see some updates on this mate! I wondered where you've gone as rtoc seems to be pretty dead lately!

regarding the clutch, it's torque that matters. Since you're using an sc boost will climb gradually so you'd have less of a boost spike vs the turbo boys, as long as torque stays below 225lb/ft i would worry too much....

Last edited:

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
The RTOC membership ran out and didn't feel the need to renew, i've been on there so many years with the GT Turbos but now feel it's time to move on. Anyway.... I feel ok using the Valeo clutch but will look into the cost of a 4 paddle clutch plate.

Another item i need to address is the restrictor, K Tec with their kit fit their restrictor in the induction pipe that runs directly off the supercharger. So air comes through the filter to the supercharger through the restrictor, i've had PM convos with Craig and he runs his after the intercooler and pre supercharger in that pipe run. So, this week i'm speaking to a friend who will hopefully make me an alloy billet restrictor to go in the pipe between the intercooler and supercharger. He works for a hi end Hi-Fi company designing speakers, turntables, Hi-Fi seperates such a water cooled CD players, tuners etc. He uses CAD which then transfers to the billet machine operaters so he'll design a restrictor to fit in the boost pipe. What i'll also ask him to do is machine 3 restrictors all with different internal diameters, between the 3 i know when it's on the rollers which one will give me the power i'm looking for.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
So after 5 weeks of waiting and parts buying the day finally arrives for the Clio to head to the workshop where the supercharger conversion will take place. All the boxes of parts are loaded up this morning, and after a days work I head up to where the Clio will stay for the next 2-3 weeks. Tonight was all about running through how it's going to be, what parts I've bought, what other parts I'll be needing to get it finished. Not much in the way of practical jobs were done this evening, the main thing is the Clio is now in place. The 1st job however was to degas the aircon system, I've now left the Clio in capable hands and hopefully by tomorrow night the engine will be out. I'll be popping up to assist and take photos of the progress. I'm just so glad that's it's finally happening.

13069286805_7e7672f797_b.jpg

13069599934_890f3d0268_b.jpg

13069371843_13bb56c6ff_b.jpg

13069564694_5059cd658d_b.jpg

Also bought new uprated exhaust rubbers to replace the tired OE rubbers in the exhaust hangers

13069263705_353f00c476_b.jpg

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
OK, so Monday night the work begins after I leave the workshop. I have someone doing the conversion for me, I'm there to make the coffee and do small jobs while my friend tackles pretty much everything else. Tuesday night the engine is lifted out and Wednesday all the service parts are changed as well as bolting the supercharger into place. Nothing will be done until next Monday, this now gives me time to sort more parts out like the jubilee clips for the Forge coolant hoses, paint some engine parts. I've ordered some Megane 225 spark plugs which I'll pick up from Toomey Renault Southend. Next week the engine goes in and it all gets plumbed back up.

Engine ready to come out

13116682104_93570c3915_b.jpg

13116673624_4811024363_b.jpg

13116474063_1730383bac_b.jpg

Engine out and showing that the depasher had indeed been fitted along with genuine cambelt and aux belt

13116374965_43217d3188_b.jpg

Old waterpump, showing signs of leaking

13116605024_de57de1a2b_b.jpg

Old and new, big difference

13116328465_e23e1d58c9_b.jpg

Gasket cleaned off and ready for new pump

13116414383_0e0babde3d_b.jpg

Pump fitted

13116300605_9c06a19c12_b.jpg

IMG_1211 by Ricard o1, on Flickr

Megane 225 crank pulley fitted

13116359235_75c9f9f631_b.jpg

Valeo clutch fitted

13116628474_e22d3468b3_b.jpg

Cams locked

13116638574_168f6a48f9_b.jpg

Supercharger bolted up

13116577874_850b5a5d23_b.jpg

13116376353_f7e927ec4a_b.jpg

Aux belt run, camblet and aux belt not fully finished and tensioned

13116566824_c4c751b67f_b.jpg

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Appreciate the comments so far. I popped into Jewsons builders merchants on the way home to purchase all the jubilee clips for the coolant hoses. Buying the jubilee clips was a job I preferred to do in person rather than over the internet so I could make sure each clip was right for each hose end. I then gave all the hoses a little clean up with hot soapy water and fitted the clips in place. I also sold the K Tec induction kit so that will pay for the new induction filter and hose run.

13133187454_e1741f5264_b.jpg

13133196074_7193f5550c_b.jpg

13132888845_907693a889_b.jpg

13132874035_0de22ef3b8_b.jpg

13132853935_00e72d5820_b.jpg

13133133304_7ebf14f71f_b.jpg

13132829725_f694afd358_b.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Nice hoses ;)

Make sure all of the hose clips face the same way when you fit them.
I have a feeling you will. :)

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Nice hoses ;)

Make sure all of the hose clips face the same way when you fit them.
I have a feeling you will. :)

Cracking hoses :)

Once they're on the car I'll know which way round they should be, another pet hate is having different clips so I had to make sure today they had every single size there and then in stock otherwise I'd have walked away with out any. At least they're the actual Jubilee clip in name too.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I could tell they where going to be fitted the correct way around.

Great choice on the hose clips. :)

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Great update.. Can't wait for more :)

Thanks Chi, I reckon next Tuesday will be a big visual difference to the Clio at the workshop. The time spent from now until Monday will be all the small jobs in preparation for the other chap to carry it on. Cannot wait to see the lump back in and things like the boost hoses, intercooler and coolant hoses being fitted :)

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
If the preparation is anything to go by then thw finished article will be brilliant mate. .

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
You will have this done before mine and you started after me ffs. :(

The amount of effort, work and attention to detail on yours are the reasons why it won't be done before mine. Hopefully by the end of next week mine will look in a much better state. I also need to take the rear Spax coilovers off to be sent off to be rebuilt, and it will also need to be booked in at RS Tuning to have it mapped so for it to be actually driven on the road we're probably looking at another 4 weeks.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Nice car, liking the S/C. What ECU will you be running?

I'm having the stock ECU mapped, i'd love to go standalone with the Gen90 as it's plug n play. Another ECU i'd purchase would be the Adaptronic. I need to see how the funds work out.