ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ricardos Petrol Blue Supercharged 182 Project

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Great news rich, get it to Mark Fish for a full geo.
Mine will be going to his after RS Tuning.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
1758.8 miles since conversion

33.1 MPG average

Been a bit quiet lately, I've been buying a few parts for the next phase. Now the power is there with 256 horses I'm addressing other areas such as braking and handling. I have decent Brembo HC discs and plenty of meat on the Ferodo DS2500 pads so the next step was to purchase some ATE Super Blue brake fluid from G172 (again decent service from G)

14679859667_98f87d7c4f_b.jpg
. by Ricard o1, on Flickr

I've still not fitted the brand new Spax rear coilovers as I've decided to up the poundage of the springs from 225 to 275 lbs. A phone call to http://www.dfaulknersprings.com/ before 11am and they deliver next day, again true to their word the springs arrived promptly.

14679849647_26873c4aa3_b.jpg

Once the coilovers are fitted I need I then have dilemmas, nice ones :) a few weeks ago I purchased a set of wheels. The plan all along has been to keep it looking OE but following on from the handling, braking theme my thoughts are better unsprung weight and better cooling to the brakes. The dilemmas, well I'm thinking of changing the wheel colour to anthracite.... Or do I keep them in their original silver colour? Petrol Blue is a funny colour where in my opinion I'm not 100% the silver wheels will suit it. The other dilemma is tyres, it's meant to be a 2nd car but does see the road often with hopefully the odd trackday. I'm thinking either Federal RSR 595 or Nankang NS 2 R tyres..... Or fit the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres that are on the OE wheels at the moment.

14679701420_2ee5f04da8_b.jpg

14866370305_78bdbd93ba_b.jpg

I've also treated the PB to new Russo thumb grips, well I've purchased them but not had time to fit them. I'm actually reluctant to fit them as I feel the wheel isn't in the greatest condition so I might hold out and buy a better 2nd hand wheel.

14886258843_c046166153_b.jpg

14679851237_2d5a752a36_b.jpg

14863922594_8fe9b2d792_b.jpg

So, with Cliosport Saturday looming on 23rd August the plan is to get all these jobs done.

Fit rear coilovers
Wheels and tyres fitted to the Clio
Front Geo (Camber, Toe out, Tracking)
Brake fluid change

RenaultSport 172
Perfect wheels :)
i think silver will work. Maybe try that first as you can always change the colour later

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Thanks for all the kind comments, indeed that steering wheel is a work of art Incey but cosmetic jobs like that will probably be done after the wheel/tyre, coilover, geometry jobs are done.

If i go anthracite it means i'll paint them myself, after that i'll have 2 of the Michelins fitted off the OE 182 wheels and have 2 new Michelins fitted as the front 2 are almost on the markers. Rear coilovers will take about an hour to fit, i don't do brake fluid so i need someone to do it for me. Ideally i'd like the wheels fitted the same day the geometry is done, i've been told there's a place local to me that has the Hunter alignment that does camber, toe, tracking at a decent price. It's finding the cheapest place to source Michelin tyres too, i can't believe tyres places now charge around £15 to fit. I remember the days of bunging a tyre fitter a fiver a tyre in his lunch break to fit.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
depends where you are I guess - I had a chap do 3 tyres on the wife's car for a tenner but then as you say other places wanted silly money.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
So I ended up buying just 2 new Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres and had them fitted to the OZ wheels. Saturday morning I headed back to Foundry tyres in Hockley to have all the wheels swapped over, decent chaps and charged me £10 each to swap the tyres from the 182 wheels to the OZ wheels. They also fitted the 16mm spacers I ordered from Demon Tweeks. After I that I took it to another tyre place to have the tracking checked they have the Hunter laser alignment. I asked them to set the toe to 2mm toe out, the camber was ok, I wanted to get it sorted as the new Michelins were put on the front.

14934441021_ff861d82eb_c.jpg
14914529316_fcc3a213c9_c.jpg

14784702797_fdc0404ec0_c.jpg
IMG_1914 by Ricard o1, on Flickr

So, now I have decent rubber all round and have the OZ's fitted. I'm happier now I know that all the front geometry is sorted.

14750909928_b11612135c_b.jpg
14937524345_f96265a95d_b.jpg
14937159572_e2d80d391f_b.jpg

Now it's time to turn my attention the to the rear suspension. I have new Spax rear coilovers to fit along with the 275lbs Faulkner springs, so last night I dragged out the trolley jack and set to work fitting them. 90 minutes later after setting the ride height it's done and blimey such a difference.

I've been driving around on a V Maxx temporary setup while I sent the faulty Spax dampers away so I've been on them for a couple of months. The V Maxx felt softer straight away after riding on the old Spax setup for a year, they didn't inspire confidence when going into and round long swooping corners ( M25 junction to M11) the back end would wallow and feel like it would give way and not dig in and let the tyres to the work. Thankfully they did the job until I fitted the new rear units so a big thank you to Rob for lending them to me.

So now I'm back to a full coilover setup with stiffer rear springs, I've adjusted the damper stiffness on the front by a couple of clicks. So, it's mechanically ready for CSS this weekend. I thought I'd also check the oil dipstick level as I've done 2000 miles since the conversion and it's still on the MAX.

14968066681_9171a69dfe_b.jpg
14784616537_94bd2f397c_b.jpg
14971152415_8deeb4a1ce_b.jpg

Last edited:

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Just toying with what to do next, I'm getting an itch to do another project so this might see its way to the classifieds this weekend.
There's a rolling road event in Farnborough this Saturday i should be going to which will be a good run out for it.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Well it's been a while since I've really had to do anything to it up until a couple of weeks ago. I decided to take the Clio down to the Surrey RR meet at the end of November 2014 just for a run out and to see it on the rollers, it had 2 power runs after which Charlie mentioned it was running rich. It was also down on power too by about 20bhp, peak power when it was first mapped at EFI when I had the Adaptronic ECU installed was 256bhp so I was curious as to what was going on.

I decided to e mail Chris at EFI Parts the power and AFR graphs to see if he could shed some light, e mails were going back and forth. I had to data log info from the Adaptronic so Chris could read the logs to see what the Clio was doing, so I collated data from 4th gear pulls at Wide Open Throttle to see what the AFRs were doing throughout the entire rev range to the limiter, quite interesting on a dual carriageway! Again running a bit rich, how about a 2nd opinion on another set of rollers regarding AFRs just to make doubly sure? Good call.... I left things for about a week or so until I noticed there was an RR day actually at EFI Runcorn on the 1st Feb. So I e mailed Chris and thankfully he said that if I made the effort to drive all the way up to Runcorn from Essex he'd find the time check the map and the AFRs and remap the Clio again.

The Clio on the rollers when having the Adaptronic ECU installed and mapped
16154518708_baee252d0c_o.jpg
EFIrollers by Ricard o1, on Flickr

Surrey Rollers
15914832215_a8eba88673_b.jpg
DSC_0208 by Ricard o1, on Flickr
15736791870_1e56d4da29_b.jpg
IMG_20141201_171820 by Ricard o1, on Flickr

I had a few weeks, so I decided..... Back to basics before it goes back on the rollers, time to have a few things checked out so I called on @AlexW to do the work on the Clio in preparation so I left the Clio in his capable mitts for a week. I wanted the cam timing checked, compression test, and the aux belt tension checked. a good job the timing was checked as it was out.
16236036608_5703185502_b.jpg
Camtool by Ricard o1, on Flickr

While the car was at Alex place he ended up finding at least 6-7 things that needed doing but the main thing was the timing was redone, compression was reading between 190-200psi across the 4 cylinders and the aux belt changed to one 8mm shorter which put back some decent tension in the spring tensioner. So it was ready mechanically and in time for the road trip from Essex to Runcorn, in between that I also bought a new air filter. I wasn't keen on the Ramair foam filter so I ordered a larger Jetex cotton filter.
16236084510_f01e7f8ffa_b.jpg
IMG_2031 by Ricard o1, on Flickr
16235834998_ce07b7798e_b.jpg
16397507436_ba58c270d3_b.jpg
16397506836_a7717aa859_b.jpg

So D-Day, 1st Feb, I break the trip up by going to Swindon first on the Saturday to see friends and also fit the induction filter. Then the drive up to Runcorn.

The obligatory V Power top up before going on the rollers
16422545992_f03603ca08_b.jpg
16397505776_321b99149c_b.jpg

Back on the rollers at EFI
16236081710_09e45f8d72_b.jpg

The cam timing has made a difference in how it performs, it's given more power and torque mid range sacrificing a little on top end but I'm much happier having a stronger mid range in power and torque. The first run proves right, running rich and a power figure similar to Surrey at 237bhp. So fettling with the map and more power runs it's getting better on the bhp and torque to give an end figure of:
15803436543_548546f9df_b.jpg

So it's now up by 25hp from the start of the session and up by 6hp from when it was first mapped. Torque has increased by 14ft/lbs.

End figures: 262bhp and 220 ft/lbs

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Being honest there was nothing there to show why, it was running rich top end and had more boost 2nd time round. With the timing now changed and the tighter aux belt it had changed the characteristics of the map higher up so with more fuel he could dial it in and make the most of it running rich. I know Chris is sensible, I said to him to take it as far as he thought safely possible and with the map he felt just about comfortable at 262bhp, he could have changed the ignition by 1 degree and made say 265bhp but wasn't comfortable doing it.

Now he has the logs for this map he can also do a 'safer' map for trackdays in which he'll drop the power to say 250bhp and make it run more safer but at wide open throttle for longer periods of time out on sessions. Again the beauty of this is he can e mail me the new map and I can simply install the file on the Adaptronic before doing a trackday then swap back to the 262bhp map afterwards. The map on the Clio now is good but he wouldn't being sensible take it any further on stock pistons and rods, I totally trust him (we all want more) but it has to stay there and to be honest I'm quite happy with that.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I need boost. [emoji22]
I'm in the minority here as so many people have gone turbo but in my opinion the supercharger gives you all that extra power but retains the driveability feel of an N/A car. I absolutely love how it drives, it's effortless, I'll say it again it just pulls and pulls. You see the turbo cars on the rollers yesterday and it hits peak torque then fades off, yes you get that initial punch when the turbo is there but with the supercharger it comes into it's own with the revs. To be fair I do believe regarding turbos I think Chris does map them quite progressive, but I'm absolutely made up again with having the power back and the map all sorted.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I'm in the minority here as so many people have gone turbo but in my opinion the supercharger gives you all that extra power but retains the driveability feel of an N/A car. I absolutely love how it drives, it's effortless, I'll say it again it just pulls and pulls. You see the turbo cars on the rollers yesterday and it hits peak torque then fades off, yes you get that initial punch when the turbo is there but with the supercharger it comes into it's own with the revs. To be fair I do believe regarding turbos I think Chris does map them quite progressive, but I'm absolutely made up again with having the power back and the map all sorted.
You are not helping. [emoji45]

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

It isn't a minority. It's an elite 😂

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Awesome stuff, keep thinking of taking mine back up to Chris for some map checking, long way to go though so debating if it's worth the trip!
What's the round trip mileage for you? Mine works out to be 470 miles and just over 4hrs to get there