ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ricardos Petrol Blue Supercharged 182 Project

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Nice car. Can't get await with the colour tho.... its Defo a marmite colour. Saw it yesterday at efi.

Good work tho

It definitely needs a wash which doesn't help the colour being filthy. I'll resist the urge to ask where it's at with the work as I've not heard anything from Chris yet.
Tutuur if it's back before FCS I'll do my very best to be there

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
***BIG UPDATE***

I don't know why but I've not checked my e mails all day, I've literally just checked and lo and behold I have an e mail from Chris at EFi Parts sent at about 7pm Monday evening.

A brief e mail stating a power and torque figure for the PB :quiet: :)

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Ok, copy and pasted from the e mail Chris sent me yesterday evening

I've managed 256hp and 205lb/ft. Its just peaking at 10.5psi at 7300rpm, drops to about 9-10 once it's done a couple pulls and got warm. I've put limiter at 7400rpm. It should go well :)

So there we go, all the work done on many a late evening i think has been well worth it.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
nice result, and excuse my laziness but cba back tracking through the whole thread, this on standard engine? internals/cams/dephaser still there?

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I'm at work at the moment but I'll take the time to make a more in depth reply this evening. Just really happy to get those figures last night. There's more to say later but for now...... I'm pretty chuffed with how its all turned out, the build and the end figures

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Just flicking through the paperwork at costings and prices of parts, they come into various categories and only relate to this build thread. The main part of the kit itself is from K Tec, purchased 2nd hand it was 90% complete.

What came in the kit that I purchased:

Rotrex supercharger with sealed system compromising of oil cooler and lines
K Tec revised supercharger brackets with bolts
Hard pipe kit
FMIC
Restrictor
Phase 1 fuel rail with Megane 225 injectors
Phase 1 fuel sender with Walbro 255 pump

Parts missing to complete the kit:

Megane 225 spark plugs
Induction pipework and air filter
Phase 1 complete fuel setup, fuel lines and sender. It came with a sender but was damaged
Aux belt, obviously a different size now running the charger but missing. I wouldn't fit a used belt anyway.

That's pretty much how the kit comes bar the ECU, if you're staying low boost you can either map the stock ECU at RS Tuning or go the route I have and that's the package of having the Adaptronic ECU fitted then mapped at EFI Parts in Runcorn. It's recommended to fit a Megane 225 crank pulley as well so I purchased a new one from Renault.

I also did away with the K Tec restrictor as I'd heard a couple of stories of engine failures with the original restrictor fitted pre supercharger. I had some bespoke billet alloy ones made that was then fitted in the recommended position of post supercharger and pre intercooler position.

So to get the kit complete with the addition of changing the boost hoses from blue to black, making the induction kit run, and having the restrictors made and everything mentioned above, it comes to around £1780

Service items: £236

Valeo clutch
Renault cambelt kit
Renault waterpump

Sundries £80

5l Renault oil
oil filter and sump washer
5L Type D coolant
Gearbox oil
Power steering fluid

Extras: £190

Forge coolant hoses
Header tank
Jubilee clips
Aerosol spray

Trailer hire and diesel the other weekend came to £180 then I have the single train cost to go to Runcorn this Saturday to pick the Clio up. Yet again these are all costings on top of what I paid for the kit to get me where I am.

The kit pretty much cost me £1780 to get complete, then you have to add in the cost of the ECU and mapping service which I'll leave off for now. Everything else shown above is what I spent out on extra to the kit, the engine was taken out and I wanted to have the cambelt kit fitted along with the new waterpump, my choice and why wouldn't you. I wanted to make sure that mechanically everything was ready to take the extra power, the engine is on 80k and a has a full service history so I was confident in doing the conversion.

The K Tec kit, fitted by them is around the £4500 figure. I think you can buy just the kit for about £4000.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
If you can find a complete or near as dammit complete SC kit for a decent price then go for it. if you have a healthy engine to bolt it to, again all good. The unknown quantity is the condition of the supercharger (mileage, abused?) if you have history and paperwork, sorted. I think I'm still well under the K Tec figure and that's including all the service items and the Adaptronic ECU and mapping

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Very happy indeed :D

I really appreciate everyone who's taken the time to read the thread and comment, really can't wait to drive it now.

clio dci , ren8
That's great news as I am a fan of superchargers even if they do whine ,but adds to the fun;) hope its as much fun as it sounds .

SQ5
Rotrex chargers don't wine, just roar and suck.

I'm concerned at 10PSI though, I ran 250/220 at only 6/7PSI, as soon as I upped it to 10PSI the piston rings blew.

I'd be restricting it more otherwise you won't see 4k more on that engine.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

I'm concerned at 10PSI though, I ran 250/220 at only 6/7PSI, as soon as I upped it to 10PSI the piston rings blew.

Out of interest what power did it go to at 10psi on yours if you were seeing 250 @6/7psi? Assuming on a completely stock bottom end?
Ali the key to everything was buying the kit 2nd hand at £1450, then buying the parts to finish the kit. Everything else like service items and extras was by choice.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member

His torque isn't massive though, yours would of seen some big ftlb running at 10psi if you were around 220 at 6/7?

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Incey, i imagine you are more clued up on things like this than me. My limited dealings with what's going on goes like this.

Supercharger running boost well in it's efficiency,
stock bottom end known to take the bhp on low boost
mapped correctly, fuel, ignition etc

The right ingredients to run the power... Safely (famous last words)

I know running a lot more power will reduce the lifespan by percentage, but more regular servicing and the right mapping should see it alright. I'm more than happy to be corrected, everything's a learning process.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Out of interest what power did it go to at 10psi on yours if you were seeing 250 @6/7psi? Assuming on a completely stock bottom end?
@Ali the key to everything was buying the kit 2nd hand at £1450, then buying the parts to finish the kit. Everything else like service items and extras was by choice.

Yeh, but I don't have your technical skills to put it all together...

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Torque is a killer on standard bottom ends, 205ftlb won't cause any issues IMO. You have had it mapped by Chris he knows what he is doing, I don't think you have anything to worry about there mate :)

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
If you have all the kit together, a spare complete weekend and some friends on board to help put it together, that's all it would take. It all just bolts on essentially. Such an easier way to get extra power than the turbo option, you don't have any dealings with the exhaust side of things, no oil and return feeds to the sump. I'm not knocking the turbo route, in fact you could get AndyRG to do it for you at a really competitive price. The only reason i went supercharged was being at the right place at the right time when the kit came up for sale on the CS classifieds.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Torque is a killer on standard bottom ends, 205ftlb won't cause any issues IMO. You have had it mapped by Chris he knows what he is doing, I don't think you have anything to worry about there mate :)

The reason why i took it to him, 100% trust in his work. Ive known of him for many years through RTOC and seen what he's done with his own cars let alone starting his own business and what he's done with his customer cars