ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rim Protection? And tyre size help please

ex Clio 172 owner :(
What is rim protection?

I'm assuming it's strengthened tyre wall to prevent it collapsing under high loads or damage after punctures?

Or is something to do with protecting the rims of your alloys?

It's just that my 172 has four kerbed alloys from the previous owner. The thing is with the alloys with 195 tyres is that the alloy seems to stick out a bit from the tyre.

In the past all my cars the tyres have either been totally flush with the alloy or have marginally stuck out.

That way you have far less chance of kerbing alloys.

On standard 172 alloys could I put on 205/45/16 tyres? How much would these stick out from the alloys? A lot? Or a wee bit?

I need four new tyres soon. Thinking of F1GSD3's or Exaltos but not sure if I can afford that much. Maybe go for 4x Toyo Proxies.

Any help appreciated, cheers.

BMW Z4 3.0i
I'm very keen to hear the answer to this question also. Will 205's on the standard mk2 172 alloys fit ok? Will they adversely affect handling? Will they offer greater protection against kerbing?

Chocolate Bar™
you can fit a 205 profile and shouldnt have any problems unless its lowered substancially. you'll find rim protection, is a solid lip that overhangs the alloy slightly to stop it curbing so badly. i had some kumho i think on my punto with rim protection and didnt think they did a bad job. the tyre was fairly damaged after a little while, but the alloy was relatively untouched.

Mégane RS
rim protection will only stop slight curbing, if you hit the curb it wont stop your alloy from scratches

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
my turinis are pratically hanging out of their 195s, so, so easy to kerb them, thankfully none have been really, but i'll be getting some 205 Goodyear GSD3s on as soon as I have f**ked the tyres up with trackdays, lol.

Oyster Card
I've got some Fox multispoke alloys where the center of the spokes bend outwards, I'm always rubbing them against the kerb I keep forgetting lol as with my old steelies I used to just ram it now I end up parking in like the middle of the road to save kerbing.

Megane225FF
You can run 205/45/16 on std 172 alloys - I'm running on them.
Think you can even go up to 215 wide on those alloys if you want..