ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ripped my exhaust off!!!

260% JCW
Hi all

Whilst driving up a farmers drive the weekend i cought my exhaust on a man hole cover. It looked low enough but my K-tech stealth sits a little lower than the rest of the car. It was enough to stop the car dead, and after which the car sounded like a drag car :dead:

When i got the car home i took my decat pipe off, only to find that the heads of the two bolts that secure it to the manifold had sheared off and the flange on the de-cat pipe had also sheared off on one side. Ive since put the cat back on with new bolts and checked everything over. Its not blowing and is running fine, only trouble is im now getting a vibration up through the car whilst accelerating hard. When driving like my mum there is no vibraiton.

Ive checked the clearance of the exhaust over the subframe and its tight. Ive tryed moving the engine forward and backwards on its mount but no joy. Ive checked the dog bone mount as ive recently replaced that with new polly bushes all ok. Now im thinking ive either fucked the engine mount or mounts (car is 02 plate with 90k on the clock) with the impact or ive bent the manifold?? :dapprove:

Just to add, on the drive home although it was blowing like mad there was no vibration, and ive never had any vibraiton before.

Any help please before the wallet is forced out of retirement would be great.

Thanks

sounds like a bit of a 'mare. i'd be thinking the same - it's probably also disturbed something further up the line (i'd be worried about the manifold to head studs but not sure that'd be the cause of the vibration) - may be the mani's bent somehow and the exhaust isn't sitting as it should as a result?

guess you can only have a good look and then start by replacing things like the engine mounts if there's nothing obvious

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Vibration is probably a heat shield somewhere I would have thought, mine currently does the same at high revs