ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ripped my nearside front wheel off!

172 Exclusive #114
Oh bugger!

Driving up a hill today (Toys Hill, towards Brasted, for anyone who knows it), round a sharp corner, national speed limit zone and I was going about 30-35.

There was a car on the other side of the road, coming down the hill, and he was on the line. I moved over to the left and ran over a football sized rock which pulled my nearside front wheel out at 45 degrees to the car - s**t! No, I didn't get any details of the other car.

Now, I rang my insurers (Elephant - I'm Fully Comp.), and informed them, so that a claim could be put into motion. Now, I then rang a friend of mine is very experienced in car maintenance (although he's had no formal training) and he says he could do the repair no problem, and will do it for the cost of the parts! Bonus!

I rang Elephant back and explained the situation, and they agreed to put the claim on hold and that if I sorted the damage out myself I would retain my No Claims and all would be well with the world.

Right, go and get a cup of tea and a biscuit because this goes on!

I had my girlfriend in the car at the time, and she has mild whiplash (Yes, she actually has, she's been to the hospital and everything!) and is thinking of claiming on my policy for compensation, which I think is fair enough as it was my fault and she'll be out of work for a little while - will this come out of my pocket or will it just be reflected in my premium? I suspect she'd be willing to contribute some of that back to my excess (£400) if I do end up putting it through the insurance.

Now, what I'm asking is should I put it through the insurance, although it's a Y reg and will most probably be written off, giving me what my mate has estimated will equal about a £3k payout or, do I get said mate to do the work?

Help!

BMW M135i
What damage has actually been caused? And imo claiming for whiplash is a bit harsh tbh! Yes it would put your premuim up.

172 Exclusive #114
What damage has actually been caused? And imo claiming for whiplash is a bit harsh tbh! Yes it would put your premuim up.

Well, my mate has looked at the car and says these are the bits I need to buy:

1 x Nearside Front Shock Absorber
1 x Nearside Front Bottom Ball Joint
1 x Nearside Front Inner CV Joint
1 x Steering Rack
1 x New Wheel
1 x Tyre
1 x Gearbox Oil (5 Litre) - the drive shaft has popped out and the fluid has pissed everywhere.

BMW M135i
Gotta be looking at 500-600+ notes new from renault then? Wouldn't like to think how much a rack would cost.

If you go for a secondhand rack and do it properly then i'd go for repairing it myself, although i'd deffo have a good look for subframe and suspension turret damage.

172 Exclusive #114
I'll get some costs from GSF in the morning and see what the costs are, then go from there!

Bloody hell!

2011 clio rs 200
i work for an insurance company in the motor section. one of the things we ask is have you had accidents where you have not needed to make a claim?? and note everything down. it'll all effects premium aswel. so if you dont make a claim and get everything fixed yourself dont mention it anymore to elephant or anyother insurance company. I am also covered with elephant and i had a car stolen told them it had been stolen but would not be making a claim and they still held it against my record. So you should call back and get them to say again that it will not effect you NCB if you fix it yourself then get full name of the person who tells you, there extension, note the day and time of the call. Then if they try to increase you premium you can fall back on it.!!

as there was no other drivers involved i would suggest that you take your lass out for a nice meal buy her some flowers and try your best to talk her out of making a claim!!!:quiet: :quiet:

172 Exclusive #114
Right, here's an update!

I'm getting the garage in my village to take a look and see if they think it'll be a write off, then depending on what they say I may go through the insurance or get my mate to sort it out.

2011 clio rs 200
if you do make a claim it will go down as an at fault accident. so if you do try and get as much money as you can out of them for your lass the car ect.

Sorry to hear what happened mate :(

It sounds sore mate :(

Hope you get the Poor Clio get fixed soon :)

Good luck

CS Dungeon
Why do you keep going on about it being a rightoff?

Your £4k ish car has £300/400 worth of damage and can be fixed in an afternoon.

b**ch slap the mrs and tell to go f**k herself about her claim.

Dont claim on your insurance as its not worth it......excess, premium hike, loss of no claims etc

get on the dog to CitRen and you will have all the parts by Monday and back on the road by Tuesday

172 Exclusive #114
Nah, she likes me just fine! :rasp:

Her idea was that we could use the money she got as compensation on the repairs, as things are rather tight at the moment.

Would it put some kind of black mark against my name? Saying that I've had a Personal Injury Claim against me?

CS Dungeon

Her idea was that we could use the money she got as compensation on the repairs, as things are rather tight at the moment.

Would it put some kind of black mark against my name? Saying that I've had a Personal Injury Claim against me?

She sounds like a right bright spark:rolleyes:

172 Exclusive #114

She sounds like a right bright spark:rolleyes:

Seems like a fairly reasonable idea to me, although this is all due to my twatish error in judgement.

Edit: Sorry, I think I phrased the original statement slightly wrongly - we'd use the compensation money to pay some of my excess, because the repairs would have been done under insurance! Sometimes I wonder how I walk and chew gum at the same time...

Last edited:
  www.renparts.co.uk
repair it.. get the rack 2nd hand and get a remanufactured drive shaft from gsf... and the rest new from gsf. Piece of pee pee to fit all done, no claim and a maximum of a couple of hundred quid down.

Formally Clio 182
You should have continued driving in your own lane so the person in the middle would have to move out the way into a bush or something.

And imo your girlfriend claiming for whiplash off you is a bit harsh!

172 Exclusive #114
You should have continued driving in your own lane so the person in the middle would have to move out the way into a bush or something.

And imo your girlfriend claiming for whiplash off you is a bit harsh!

Hindsight's 20/20 mate! I just thought at the time it would be better to not involve another car, but if I had hit him - I'm sure it would have been a non-fault claim on my part but I didn't want to chance it, guess I wasn't really thinking at all...

CS Dungeon
You definately did the right thing in trying to avoid the accident mate, but claiming on your insurance for the repairs or for compensation should be the very very last thing you consider.

My excess is £350 and unless I was claiming in excess of £1k I wouldnt claim on my insurance.

My guess is that your excess is going to be more then the repair bill alone

At least everyone concerned got out ok, thats the main thing :)

172 Exclusive #114
You definately did the right thing in trying to avoid the accident mate, but claiming on your insurance for the repairs or for compensation should be the very very last thing you consider.

My excess is £350 and unless I was claiming in excess of £1k I wouldnt claim on my insurance.

My guess is that your excess is going to be more then the repair bill alone

At least everyone concerned got out ok, thats the main thing :)

I'm thinking along those lines too. Just phoned GSF and CitRen, waiting for them to come back to me with prices now.