ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rising engine temperature and funny smell...

Audi TT 3.2 V6 & Clio 1.4
Hi

I'm new to this forum and am hoping someone can help me.

My wife has a Clio 1.4i on an X reg. In the last week or so when in slow moving stop-start traffic the engine temperature rises slightly. Normally the needle points at about twenty to the hour but in stop-start traffic this rises to past quarter to the hour. Until a week or so ago this needle has never shifted from the position it takes up once the engine is up to temperature - i.e twenty to the hour.

Also, when in this stop-start traffic the car starts making a funny smell - sort of chemically gets you in the back of the throat type of smell is the only way I can describe it.

It's been in to the garage and all the obvious things have been checked, - engine fan cutting it, coolant levels, fuses, radiator etc. but the fault could not be diagnosed (plus they could not smell anything). The only suggested remedy to try was a new thermostat just in case it was not cutting in at the right temp but I am loathed to spend money on something until I know it will sort it first.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this with their clio...? If so what was the problem...?

Cheers
John