ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RJ45 to RJ11 - Hardcore Wiring Advice

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I need to relocate my BT HH5.

I don't want to have to run new cabling so the plan is to take the phone line from the box on the wall upstairs and put it through an existing cat5 cable which runs to my living room. so I wont have to run a new cable.

I also have a HH4 hard wired in to HH5 in its current position upstairs I need to deal with. this is the wireless router in my garage

does this look right? anyone see any issues with doing this?

internet_zpsrlmaq5ts.jpg

DCi
bit unusual.

i assume the hh4 is just a wireless access point and not a 2nd modem?

looking at your diagram, you are running a cat5 from your BT point to your HH5 then reutilising it to go back to the BT point and on to your HH4

just buy powerline adapters!!!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
bit unusual.

i assume the hh4 is just a wireless access point and not a 2nd modem?

looking at your diagram, you are running a cat5 from your BT point to your HH5 then reutilising it to go back to the BT point and on to your HH4

just buy powerline adapters!!!

Powerlines don't work I need Hi speed Internet in my garage.

Yep that is what I'm doing as everything is currently wired to that location as it's the location of the hh5

Very unusual i know ;-)

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
cos I cant, I'm not taking carpet up in my living room just to run a new cable. the garage is a separate building so it means digging and s**t

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
my house is from the 50's and in its current position in a bedroom at the front of the house the rear of my house does not get any wifi. so the plan is to move it in the middle of the house down stairs.

I have already hardwired in the garage so its not a problem

2014 Focus Titanium
So just to confirm then, the reason is to put the router in the middle of the house so that wifi gets to every room? Just plug a wireless extender where you had planned to put the router, done! The wireless extender will receive the signal from the router, then amplify it again so that rooms further away receive it, see diagram below*.

* P.S. I have no idea what the layout of your house is but you get the idea.

Attachments

• Wifi.png
    Wifi.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 85
This whole thread has confused me. Either that or I'm a fool and I've missed something here...
My understanding of that diagram... you're running 4 ethernet lines to the garage?
If BT HomeHubs support link aggregation in that I will eat my hat.

DCi
This whole thread has confused me. Either that or I'm a fool and I've missed something here...
My understanding of that diagram... you're running 4 ethernet lines to the garage?
If BT HomeHubs support link aggregation in that I will eat my hat.
i read the diagram as the cores in the cable rather than 4 cables themselves.
ive never tried making a link with the 4 needed cores but i am just giving the benefit of the doubt thatit actually works

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
i read the diagram as the cores in the cable rather than 4 cables themselves.
ive never tried making a link with the 4 needed cores but i am just giving the benefit of the doubt thatit actually works
correct, cables are the 8 cores of a cat5 cable

been told a hh5 only uses wires so have 4 unused

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
So just to confirm then, the reason is to put the router in the middle of the house so that wifi gets to every room? Just plug a wireless extender where you had planned to put the router, done! The wireless extender will receive the signal from the router, then amplify it again so that rooms further away receive it, see diagram below*.

* P.S. I have no idea what the layout of your house is but you get the idea.
I know what extenders are, I could I have a pair somewhere

2014 Focus Titanium
I know what extenders are, I could I have a pair somewhere
You don't need a pair, just one! :)
I didn't mean to sound patronising when explaining, because many people (even IT tech's) have never used wireless extenders before and don't realise how useful they can be for just sending data when wiring isn't an option.