ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Road Angel 2 to become illegal

P

peterh2

Taken from www.lancer-evo.net s forum:

It has come to my attention that this device will be illegal next year...

Just spoke to a friend of mine who has the NEW TVR...
He has got a Road Angel 2 and a laser diffuser (Lidatek) ...

The bill to make laser detectors illegal has been passed, and should come into force next year.

All GPS based devices are LEGAL as they tell you where ALL the speed cameras are...
used as a device to aid safer driving (no sudden emergency brakes etc etc and be cautious of the road ahead)

All LASER detectors will be ILLEGAL.... and the Road Angel 2 has a built in laser detector with the GPS system....
which basically means that it will tell you if a camera has a laser in it or not... so if it doesnt beep/alert, you can carry on speeding past the camera at 100mph!

So thats what is happening at the moment.

Can anybody else advise on how to get round the law???

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

not seen the RA2s in the flesh, but surely the laser detector is detatchable?

seems a bit strange that they can make laser detectors illegal. Laser diffusers are, and should be, illegal as they can be used to get round the law.

Thing that gets me is, by the time your laser detector picks up the laser, youre normally caught anyway, unless youre lucky enough to have caught scatter from the device being used on a nearby car.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by peterh2 on 22 November 2004

Taken from www.lancer-evo.net s forum:

It has come to my attention that this device will be illegal next year...

Just spoke to a friend of mine who has the NEW TVR...
He has got a Road Angel 2 and a laser diffuser (Lidatek) ...

he is asking for trouble.

The RA2 is a safety device not a weapon and using it to control a diffuser is not very responsible.

People like that cause the banning of such devices.

[Edited by Tom on 22 November 2004 at 4:39pm]

Quote: Originally posted by Friction on 22 November 2004

not seen the RA2s in the flesh, but surely the laser detector is detatchable?

seems a bit strange that they can make laser detectors illegal. Laser diffusers are, and should be, illegal as they can be used to get round the law.

Thing that gets me is, by the time your laser detector picks up the laser, youre normally caught anyway, unless youre lucky enough to have caught scatter from the device being used on a nearby car.

no, its fully built in so cannot be detached

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

as far as i am aware the RA2 has had no official warning of any ban.

The laser unit is built into the RA2.

From the information i have read above the unit of a laser diffuser (Lidatek) ...

This device if used in the car is not legal. This is a risk a lot of users are taking. Please do searches on google or any places selling these units.

Skoda Fabia vRS

All LASER detectors will be ILLEGAL.... and the Road Angel 2 has a built in laser detector with the GPS system....
which basically means that it will tell you if a camera has a laser in it or not... so if it doesnt beep/alert, you can carry on speeding past the camera at 100mph!
no cameras use laser, they all use radar

only guns use laser

Skoda Fabia vRS

are you sure its not laser diffusers that have become illegal ?

i work @ Motor World and up to now i havent been told about this, we sell Road Angels

ill ring a few people tomorrow to find out

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Quote: Originally posted by BRUN on 23 November 2004

no cameras use laser, they all use radar

only guns use laser
Mini gatsos are using laser nowdays.

some digital cameras being trialed are now laser too, more and more are going laser and moving away from radar tech.

Not accurate. The purpose of the laser detector is to alert the drivers of mobile speed traps, which obviously cannot be mapped to GPS. As was rightly said earlier, most fixed cameras use radar. It isnt a case of telling whether you have to slow down for the camera its for detecting other camera types.

Any case for legallity is based on the previously tried case when the government tried to ban detectors and it fell over on the grounds that they are safety cameras and therefore should be visible as a means of deterent, and that therefore the detectors helped the camera achieve this goal.