ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Road Angel Help/ Advice

BG Clio 182
Right. What's the deal with these things? What do they actually do and what's their intended function? Do they really work? Which is the best one to go for and what's the best place to get them from?

Does anyone run them in a daily and any stories of success from these? Do the mobile camera detectors actually work and the laser gun receiver thing? Do they warn you in time to not get a ticket?

Sorry if I sound daft but don't wanna waste money really, buying something pointless.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Drive sensibly and don't speed and save yourself the worry!

McGherkin

Macca fan boiiiii
ClioSport Club Member
Chances are, with a laser gun, they're firing around a corner and trapping you as you come into view. By the time the detector's gone off, they've probably already got you.

Radar has a much shorter range, but most 'proper' equipment is laser these days, and radar limited to handheld guns.

Laser takes 0.3 seconds to take a reading at a 1km range, IIRC.

BG Clio 182
Chances are, with a laser gun, they're firing around a corner and trapping you as you come into view. By the time the detector's gone off, they've probably already got you.
Haha I thought as much. I truly do drive so f**king sensibly even my mum tells me to hurry up :/ lol. Thing is the other week a f**king speed van was parked up and I didn't see it until the last second (cheeky b******s!) and I was doing like 33 so it would've saved me the f**king limbo all week if have I got a ticket or not!

BG Clio 182
Drive sensibly and don't speed and save yourself the worry!
I do but unfortunately even driving sensibly and not speeding, everyone had lapses of concentration, albeit messing with the radio etc, look down and you're slightly over the speed limit, a few mph in a reasonably powerful car is a second too long on the throttle isn't it :(

McGherkin

Macca fan boiiiii
ClioSport Club Member
I'm on a 'did I or didn't I' period at the moment. Was a bit over the threshold but slowing down, as I came around the corner a speed camera van was sat on a bridge over 700 metres away. I'm half hoping my plate was hidden behind the centre armco while the last few mph were dropping off but I'll find out in due course I suppose.

BG Clio 182
I'm on a 'did I or didn't I' period at the moment. Was a bit over the threshold but slowing down, as I came around the corner a speed camera van was sat on a bridge over 700 metres away. I'm half hoping my plate was hidden behind the centre armco while the last few mph were dropping off but I'll find out in due course I suppose.
Ah s**t. That's the thing isn't it. I just find it frustrating that you can get caught and be as sensible as anyone but it's the whole momentary lapse that spoils it!

I'm are you'll be fine, what were the exact logistics of it? How many leptons?

McGherkin

Macca fan boiiiii
ClioSport Club Member
That's f**king nasty. Horrible!! Ah, im sure you'll be fine. Go check your tyre pressures and hope you're down lol.

Not much point worrying about it. If I got a ticket then there's nothing I can do now to change that, so it's just a wait and see job.

BG Clio 182
Not much point worrying about it. If I got a ticket then there's nothing I can do now to change that, so it's just a wait and see job.
I suppose. I was overly worried a couple weeks ago and made a thread. I'm 20 and the car is modified so I think I'd struggle for insurance if I got points :( I suppose if you're a little older it's not so important

BG Clio 182
How is it any different to putting a Road Angel on?
Well a road angel is specifically designed around cameras, prevention and detection. They appear focused on these things and with things such as laser and radar detection options, seems a much better choice as yes, some navs can do this, but I doubt as well as the road angel can

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I use to own a road angel when they first came out was a few £££ and you had a free year or something on alerts then after that you had to pay stupid amount of money either a year 2 year or 3 year I can't remember on renew intervals. They actually did work I had a extra sensor or something that went from the unit to the back window due to the front windscreen having that tint in it cos it couldn't give signal.

They detected static cameras when you came up to it gave you a warning then got even closer gave you another warning. But it didn't give you mobile cameras but every other static camer. Iirc . Good piece of kit but dear to run it on fees every time it needed topping up

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Well a road angel is specifically designed around cameras, prevention and detection. They appear focused on these things and with things such as laser and radar detection options, seems a much better choice as yes, some navs can do this, but I doubt as well as the road angel can

If you get a sat nav with live speed camera info, it will alert you to fixed and mobile cameras. The only thing it won't do, is the police driving around.

Think mine was £99 from memory. It also has the added bonus of also being a sat nav.

BG Clio 182
If you get a sat nav with live speed camera info, it will alert you to fixed and mobile cameras. The only thing it won't do, is the police driving around.

Think mine was £99 from memory. It also has the added bonus of also being a sat nav.
Put like that it does sound better to buy a sat nav I guess haha, ill look into that cheers

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Worth checking what the Road Angel offers that Tom Tom with live info doesn't, but my fairly basic Tom Tom has live mobile speed camera info on it.

I just use it as a matter of course now. I use it every day for work, for the active traffic information, and diverts.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Worth checking what the Road Angel offers that Tom Tom with live info doesn't, but my fairly basic Tom Tom has live mobile speed camera info on it.

I just use it as a matter of course now. I use it every day for work, for the active traffic information, and diverts.

The TomTom is worth it just for their traffic, it's pretty amazeballs (I guess that's the advantage of having millions of units out there on the UK road system). If there's a jam on your route it will almost certainly tell you and get you round it, ALWAYS trust it even if you think you know better (Oh, I'm only going to be on that road for x minutes....). Everytime we've ignored it we've got stuck in a jam.

The classic one was when we went to see the Foo Fighers in MK a few years back and it routed us across country to get there, on the way back we were going to go back down the M1, but as soon as we left the car park it said "Go the other way", I ended up going round a roundabout and back the way we'd come in the morning.

Turns out they'd stuck roadworks on the M1 and people were stuck leaving the concert for 6 hours+.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
The TomTom is worth it just for their traffic, it's pretty amazeballs (I guess that's the advantage of having millions of units out there on the UK road system). If there's a jam on your route it will almost certainly tell you and get you round it, ALWAYS trust it even if you think you know better (Oh, I'm only going to be on that road for x minutes....). Everytime we've ignored it we've got stuck in a jam.

The classic one was when we went to see the Foo Fighers in MK a few years back and it routed us across country to get there, on the way back we were going to go back down the M1, but as soon as we left the car park it said "Go the other way", I ended up going round a roundabout and back the way we'd come in the morning.

Turns out they'd stuck roadworks on the M1 and people were stuck leaving the concert for 6 hours+.

Yep, I use mine every morning now, and it has saved me a good few times.

It also completely stitched me up once, but in fairness, you never know what the other way was going to be like, so even going into traffic, it should have been quicker than the alternative(s).

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I'd like to think there's a feature buried in it that basically goes "You drove like a c**t yesterday, today, I'm going to stitch you right up" and then sends you into every traffic jam en-route with your fellow c***s! lol