ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Road Legal or Trailered Track Car

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Interested in seeing how many people make their track only cars road legal? I work in a van and have another car so I don't really need another car on the road. Was thinking of trailering the car to track days as the van is more than capable. (also if the car blows up on a track day i can still get me/it home). For the price of mot/insurance/tax i could get quite a few track days for that?

Also on a few circuits websites it says "car to be to MOT standards" so guessing this means it has to be in good shape but doesn't actually have to have an MOT certificate? Then ive seen other places have road car only days which the cars have to be driven to the event. Unsure on which route to go down.

Many thanks.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
My track car is road legal, but I plan on getting a trailer soon mainly for 'Ring trips and uk track days, even then I'll keep my 172 road legal as it makes testing parts and different setups easier if the car is still road legal.

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
My track car is also road legal, as fletcher says it makes it far easier to test things etc. plus in decent weather i often take it for a drive at weekends

Clio 172 (CUP)
Same approach as @Fletcher and @scotiamr2t for me too. Just about to buy a trailer myself but would want to be still be able to test any mods/changes, plus blow the cobwebs off and rust off the discs now and then. :)

I bought mine intending to keep it road legal so I could avoid trailering it (already had a trailer but cba etc) but at the end of the day, I didnt want to risk driving home with no tyres/pads/bodywork, so I've always trailered it and after the first year where it saw some road use, decided to save the £565 a year in tax and insurance and do another trackday or two.

Road legal here, costs me £600 a year in tax and insurance. Trailer hire is around £50-60 a day but with deposit of £200 each time, plus I'd need straps as well, also the faf of picking the trailer up at the crack of dawn and dragging it back home, loading the car, driving to circuit, unload the car, load the car again at the end of the day, dropping it back of at home, then drop the trailer off, CBA with that just to save a few hundred quid a year. I do around 6 a year and having it road legal you get more worth from the car as I go and drive it every 2 weeks to keep it sweet.

Road legal, but I generally use a trailer all the time now. Can't be bothered to deal with breakdowns and getting the car home.

Clutch failure at Bedford could have been a nightmare. Well it was, but at least I had the Clio day to enjoy whilst waiting for the recovery truck.

This is the biggest thing I miss, diagnosing things is a whole lot more difficult when you cant drive it.
I bet mate, and with these cars things can go wrong when not even driving the car. I found this out recently, I put the car away and it was running fine, come back a few days later and the ABS pump had given up.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Drive mine on the road, MOT's are a b*****d to get and we are seriously considering a trailer.

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
I bought mine intending to keep it road legal so I could avoid trailering it (already had a trailer but cba etc) but at the end of the day, I didnt want to risk driving home with no tyres/pads/bodywork, so I've always trailered it and after the first year where it saw some road use, decided to save the £565 a year in tax and insurance and do another trackday or two.

This is pretty much my line of thought. Dont want to be 'that guy' sat there for hours waiting for the aa to turn up after something has gone wrong and i cant drive home. And i want to be going to circuits a decent drive away. The van can tow it easy and ive got space for a trailer. And cba with all the MOT stuff once the mods start. MOT's are pretty strict around me and I dont know anyone I can slip some cash and a pint to get it through.

With trailering on the van Ive got loads of space for tools/spares/wet&dry tyres etc... where does everyone that drives keep their stuff?

Ph2 172
Trailer every time. I've done it both ways and wouldn't go back. Fair enough if there are tracks on your doorstep. I've done 2.5 hours to the track, track day, 2.5 hours home. It's f**king s**t.

Now I climb into my armchair of a Volvo and waft home in comfort and quiet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I literally cant bare to drive my clio for more than an hour, so its now trailered, although road legal.

I trailered it up to blyton 3 hours away, which i cracked the sump just before lunchtime, no problem as trailered it up there, but that would of been horrendous to try and get recovery for, something i dont want to do..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Trailered for me but still kept road legal for the sprint / hillclimb class I compete in.
Trailer it for the same reasons as others above. Can also make some cash on the side with the trailer aswell if you own one and have a tow vehicle

I literally cant bare to drive my clio for more than an hour, so its now trailered, although road legal.

I trailered it up to blyton 3 hours away, which i cracked the sump just before lunchtime, no problem as trailered it up there, but that would of been horrendous to try and get recovery for, something i dont want to do..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Why can't you bare to drive it for more than an hour?

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I loved this guy's approach to life, at Bedford the other week.
IMG_1329_zps2bmwwrof.jpg

For when you need to tow your mental aero atom hither and thither, and you NEED 600 odd BHP.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Licences issued from 1 January 1997
If you passed your car driving test between 1 January 1997 and 18 January 2013, you can:

• drive a car or van up to 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
  • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg
You have to pass the car and trailer driving test if you want to tow anything heavier.

Is it possible to get a trailer, clio and a tow car that weigh under 3500KG total? I'd like to trailer mine eventually, but CBA taking the test. I passed in 2010.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
When it comes to the MOT, how difficult is it?
I've forewarned the guys I usually take my car to, that it is a trackday and modified car, and they seemed ok with that.
Is there anything I should quote from MOT guidelines as such?

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Licences issued from 1 January 1997
If you passed your car driving test between 1 January 1997 and 18 January 2013, you can:

• drive a car or van up to 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
  • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg
You have to pass the car and trailer driving test if you want to tow anything heavier.

Is it possible to get a trailer, clio and a tow car that weigh under 3500KG total? I'd like to trailer mine eventually, but CBA taking the test. I passed in 2010.

I'm in the same boat as you. My towing vehicle would be my work van though and that's over 2 tonne so I would most probably be over. Think I'm just gonna get the test done. Otherwise I would be risking being over and getting done for it.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I'm in the same boat as you. My towing vehicle would be my work van though and that's over 2 tonne so I would most probably be over. Think I'm just gonna get the test done. Otherwise I would be risking being over and getting done for it.

It's a pain in the arse that apparently my Golf R Estate isn't allowed to tow. At 1500KG roughly, it might be possible..

How much does your average basic car trailer weigh? Can't be much if it's just a frame and axle
A modern double rear axel (Brian James) weighs around 600-700kg. So if the Clio weighs around 1100-1200kg the car can weigh no more than 1700-1800kg (with passengers and gear) My Mondeo will just about be under the 3500kg limit.

How much does your average basic car trailer weigh? Can't be much if it's just a frame and axle

My PRG twin axle trailer weighs 400kg unladen.

It can take a car up to 1300kg.

If Clio is a 1100kg and trailer is 400. That gives you scope for any tow car with a maximum gross weight of 2000kg. I think that's how it works. Max gross weight of tow car, plus trailer weight, plus load weight - Has to be below 3500kg.

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
My PRG twin axle trailer weighs 400kg unladen.

It can take a car up to 1300kg.

If Clio is a 1100kg and trailer is 400. That gives you scope for any tow car with a maximum gross weight of 2000kg. I think that's how it works. Max gross weight of tow car, plus trailer weight, plus load weight - Has to be below 3500kg.

Yeah that's me way over then. Test it is. Thanks for putting that up. :up:

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Mine's road legal but I can't wait to get a trailer as it's horrible to drive on the road. I'd be screwed if something happened at a track miles from home.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
If you're at a track day and your car s***s itself, could AA/RAC cover you if you push it outside on the road? Or are they funny about that?

If you're at a track day and your car s***s itself, could AA/RAC cover you if you push it outside on the road? Or are they funny about that?

Depends on the recovery driver really, I know a couple of people who use AA with no issues, one other who they refused to lift. I'm with AA but not had to use them

Ph2 172
You've all got to bare in mind the design weights of your car as well. My V70 is decent with 1800kg towing capacity. But when you consider that car, trailer and spares etc I could easily be at 1600-1700. People get too wrapped up in the 3500 thing, I'm glad I've got my B+E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Mines has been on the road past 2 times but driving there and back is not fun plus the fact I'm paying a years insurance and tax for a few trips to the track and back.

Hopefully trailer this year at some point :)

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Road legal. I enjoy driving it so it's not just a track car.
it does play on your mind havig to drive it home, so it calms me down a bit and try not to be a hero on track.
Would like to have a tow car and trailer, but don't have the space to store a trailer. But would still keep it road legal for normal driving about in. Think I am in the same boat as most people passing after the trailer test cut off so the tow car I could have is useless! Really want a Disco/Defender which will easily handle towing.

Surely a flat bed transit van will be fine to drive on the newer licenses??