ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rocker cover/cam seal fitting

Ph1 172, Leon cupra
Looking for advice/info on refitting the rocker cover. Specifically the best method of ensuring it seals properly, obviously clean mating faces etc. I removed the cams for inspection and cleaning
, so will be replacing both seals on the cams (at pulley end). What is the best way of fitting these seals, should I fit and seal the rocker-then push in the cam seals once sealant has set? Or push them in whilst the sealant is not cured?

Also after the torque figures for rocker cover bolts? And the order in which to tighten them-start at middle and work outwards evenly?

Any help appreciated
Lewis

Lionel Richie
cams in, horse shoe in cams, rocker on, then seals (DO NOT PUSH THEM ALL THE WAY IN! THEY SIT FLUSH TO THE OUTER FACE, NOT ALL THE WAY IN!!!!)

i do middle 4 and outer 4 on the rocker, like small box big box

12nm give or take for the rocker bolts IIRC

you've got the renault tools inc the pulley tool right?

Ph1 172, Leon cupra
Ok, thats great cheers. Loctite gasket sealant from halfords or similar ok to use?

Yeah have all the proper Renault tools

Ph1 172, Leon cupra
Just to add.....assemble as you've said above......Should I tighten down the rocker and then fit the seals or put them in place(flush as you've said) and then torque it down?

172, Tiguan
Loctite stuff from Halfords is fine. I'd torque it down first, let it go off overnight and then put the cam seals in the next day. As Fred said DON'T push them all the way in. I made that mistake...

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I've always pushed the cam seals in by hand.
Never had a problem tbh.

206,172 Cup,focus,X5
Just take ya time when applying the sealent on the head. It only has to be a very flat bead and make sure all the right bits have silicone on.
apply oil to all movin parts first before u bolt everything down so nothing is dry for when u first
Turn the engine over.

They make it easier, but not essential by any means.

10pwpjb.jpg

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
bit of a bump but how much of the loctite 518 would you need to seal the rocker cover?