ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Roland Rat's 225/R26 Track Toy Build

LY Megane R26 230
Hi Everyone,

Just a bit of background before we start,

I use to own a very nice Liquid Yellow R26 for over 2 years but sadly I couldn't sell it for what I wanted for it so stripped it for parts at the beginning of this year.

Stripping Megane 225/R26's is nothing new to me as I've been doing it since buying the Liquid Yellow R26 as I like to know how a cars put together so what better way to learn than taking one apart right? ?

Anyway back on track, I've just become the owner of @Ricardos old track prepped 225 Lux. The car has some very nice parts already fitted such as the BC coilovers, Megane R26.R alloys and Renaultsport Sabelt bucket seat to name a few.

So what's the plans i here you cry? Well I've just breaking an accident damaged R26 and have taken the following bits from it to put on the 225 Lux

*R26 rear beam (has Anti roll bar fitted unlike 225 Lux/Cup models)
*R26 steering rack (believed to be different from 225 Lux model)
*R26 Front Anti Roll Bar (21mm compared to 20mm found on 225 Lux)
*Standard bootlid and spoiler
*Nearly new Fuel Pump
*Milltek 2.75 Exhaust system

Other plans are to Sell the R26.R Alloys And Carbon Fibre R26.R spoiler to fee some cash up for Decat, Intercooler, 630cc Injectors and Remap. Once thats all fitted im hoping for 270/280 bhp and similiar torque figures.

LY Megane R26 230
So made some progress today on the car.

Sadly the R26.R Carbon Spoiler has been sold but it was always my intention to sell fancy bits like the spoiler and alloys so I could spend the rest on an R26 LSD gearbox and performance upgrades.

So spoiler removed (started to pee down so no time to swap bootlids over)

Then my next breaker turned up

And I found a goldmine of parts in the boot! the seller said he had a few bits he was going to include but didn't think it would be all this.

So now I have a full Powerflex handling kit for the car along with full Powerflex engine mount kit along with a brand new Direnza black intercooler!

LY Megane R26 230
So spent last weekend stripping the Inferno breaker ready for buyer of engine to collect later next week.

While snooping through the service history i came across a recepit for a recent clutch fitment within the last 2k.

Was pleasantly surprised to find this fitted and like new!

looks in great shape and as I'm planning on winding up the power up it will come in handy!

Got a few purchases to pick up this week to move the project on so planning to take it off the road.over winter and have it done ready for next year.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Great work mate but that LY looked far to good to break up :(

Don't suppose you have an original chrome gearknob 6 speed insert and r26 rear brake discs for sale do you?

LY Megane R26 230
Great work mate but that LY looked far to good to break up :(

Don't suppose you have an original chrome gearknob 6 speed insert and r26 rear brake discs for sale do you?

I was gutted to split the LY R26 up but needs must :(

I think I've got a chrome top somewhere bud, I'd have to have a look through the garage to make sure but I know I don't have any R26 rear discs sorry

LY Megane R26 230
So I've got some time off this week and in between painting/DIY I'm hoping to do some bits on the Megane

First up was changing the boot lids over. The one that came on the car when I bought it had a genuine Carbon Fibre R26.R spoiler that I sold to raise some funds for other goodies for this project.

After said spoiler had been removed and sold it left some unsightly holes and glue residue from standard 225 spoiler.

Que me digging through my pile of parts harvested from a previous R26 that I broke and 10 mins later we had a new boot lid fitted with no more nasty holes! :D

Still need to solder all wires up etc but looks better already IMO

Only other thing to report is that the postman kindly dropped some Powerflex ARB bushes through the letter box. These with all the other Powerflex goodies I have I hope will make it onto the car sometime this week.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
I was gutted to split the LY R26 up but needs must :(

I think I've got a chrome top somewhere bud, I'd have to have a look through the garage to make sure but I know I don't have any R26 rear discs sorry

If you could find the chrome top that would be awesome buddy - thanks so much.

LY Megane R26 230
So having this week off has worked out well for me so far. Granted not much DIY has been done and the O/H will no doubt give me a ear bashing but it means I've had more time to do car stuff.:cool:

A lad was breaking his R26 on Facebook and was selling the parts off quickly as he needed the cash for a new car so cue a 3 hour drive to Telford for these

The all important gearbox code

And some Deka 630cc injectors ready for when its remap time

LY Megane R26 230
So the buying bug continues! Spotted these on a Facebook Megane sport page and had to have them as they were silly cheap.

Those who know the Megane 225/R26 range know that the cars already come with Brembo 4 pot calipers as standard so why buy these I hear you cry?

The ones pictured above are actually from the Megane RS 250/265/275 range and are bigger and as I keep telling SWMBO bigger is always better right? ;) The kit in production means I can used the 342mm discs from the 250/265/275 range for better stopping power over the standard 225 set up.

LY Megane R26 230
So bought a few bits for the Megane RS250 brake conversion.

Spigot Rings 68.1mm 60.1mm Wheel Spacer Set of 4 Alloy Wheel Hub Centric Celica | eBay

M8 M10 M12 & M14 Metric Fine 10.9 Grade High Tensile Self Colour Steel Hex Bolts | eBay

FOR MEGANE MK3 SPORT RS250 RS265 RS275 TROPHY FRONT BRAKE DISCS BREMBO PADS 340 | eBay

I know I can buy a kit off the shelf for this to work but this is meant to be a "budget" ;) track car so where ever I can save money towards more bits I plan to. A mate who's a CNC engineer is going to make some brackets for me ready for the calipers for some beer tokens.

Next step is a rollcage of some description!

Clio 197
Very interested in the Megane 250 brake set up. Will it be a one off set of brackets/brake disc spigot rings or something that you may start selling as a kit to others?

LY Megane R26 230
Very interested in the Megane 250 brake set up. Will it be a one off set of brackets/brake disc spigot rings or something that you may start selling as a kit to others?

There's already a kit for sale at £360 but ive managed to keep the cost so far to half that. just a few beers for my mate and thats the spending done.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Haven't you done all this lark about 120409 times before?! ha. You planning on coming up here to do Oulton park next year? Will get on it with you.

LY Megane R26 230
Haha this actually is my first proper track car build do i want to see this one through ☺

Aiming to have it track ready come march/april do buying bits and storing them away atm. night out sounds like a must!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Haha this actually is my first proper track car build do i want to see this one through [emoji5]

Aiming to have it track ready come march/april do buying bits and storing them away atm. night out sounds like a must!
I'm in

LY Megane R26 230
So it looks like I've bought myself an expensive climbing frame for the build.

wasn't planning to go this mad but a well speeced shell has turned up for not far of the cost of a half cage
Screenshot_20181031-125745.jpg
20181031_125453.png
20181031_125520.png
20181031_125411.png

LY Megane R26 230
Sadly the full cage shell isnt going to feature in this build as I'm stuck for space to have 2 cars laid up while I transfer all the bits over. ?

But never the less I've been doing a few minor things with the car.

First up was the purchase of some engine bay bling to cheer me up.
20181108_151232.jpg

Next up I spent a morning tidying up the garage and found a few old Forge goodies that came off my old LY R26 I'd forgot about that can make their way onto the car too.
20181108_151147.jpg

Other than that I've been sorting a few issues out on the car. On the drive back from the previous owner the speakers barely worked and it was rather unpleasant with no tunes on the way home.

I decided to have a look at what was causing this when I was greated by horror number 1! ?
20180828_193738.jpg

So removed the dodgy screws to see horror number 2.
20180828_194207.jpg
Wires just tided together! So raided the parts bin and had 2 original speaker clips to solder into place with a bit of heatshrink to tidy it all up.

Dug out some standard speakers and jobs a good un.

20181107_134952.jpg

Final thing was to swap the cloth door bin over for a leather one I had in the parts pile

Before
20180828_195009.jpg

And then after
20180828_195431.jpg

Plans are to stick it in the garage now and start bolting on the goodies over winter ready for next years track days!

LY Megane R26 230
as with everything in life the only constant is change.

That is no truer than the track project!

An R26 turned up local and very well priced so i just couldn't say no! :eek:

Buying it means i get a car already fitted with better beam, bigger front arb and the limited slip diff plus its lower mileage and already slightly tuned.

I'll take all the parts I want from the black one and fit them to the LY and then sell the black one on.

Here's a picture of the 2 together
Screenshot_20181122-154502.jpg

LY Megane R26 230
So with the run up to Christmas etc I havent done anything of late on the car.

Today I had a day off so decided to sort out a few bits while it was dry.

When I bought the car there was a few issues that previous owner hadn't sorted after a bump they had a while back.

First was that there was no lower bumper grille fitted as it had been lost by previous owner.

20181211_130218.jpg

Secondly the drivers side Xenon headlight didnt work so while the bumper was off it made sense to swap them over for the working pair from the Black 225.

20181211_130327.jpg

While bumper was off it made sense to swap the standard intercooler for the uprated black Direnza one I had to fit.

20181211_095340.jpg

20181211_095346.jpg

Then it was time to fit a new horn as the old one sounded like a mouse farting!

20181211_103022.jpg

And a picture with her face back one in one piece.

20181211_141543.jpg

Only other thing was change the passenger door lock cover with a good one from my spares hoard.

20181211_113339.jpg

And voila!

20181211_113416.jpg

Hoping to get a few more hours on the car over the festive period as I want to get the Sabelt seat and BC coilovers on asap.

Last edited: