ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Roll Cage Requirements

Jamesgsi1983

ClioSport Club Member
  N/A
All,

Started looking into the roll cages available but just after some advice on what’s needed without going overkill.

Basically I have a 172cup and it’s going to be used for open track days for a bit of fun without the risk of licence points!

Going to be mot compliant but I want to get a cage fitted for safety reasons.

Which cages are the best to go for from a bolt in fitting perspective, and what size cage is needed as trying to understand the half to full and those which are in between!

Also, if anyone knows of a decent company that can fit within an hour of warrington let me know. (White in colour preferably)

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Have a look at the safety devices group buy thread on here or take it to Shaun at SW Motorsport in Leyland, he'll sort you out.

I'm in Warrington too, where abouts are you?

dan's cast offs.
can sort you with cage as well ?

20170730_162721 (1).jpg

Jamesgsi1983

ClioSport Club Member
  N/A
Is it generally a full or half cage preferred?

What are the pros and cons regarding use sort from the obvious a full providing more protection!

dan's cast offs.
i always say you might as well go full rather than just a half cage, half won't really do much to protect you when compared to a full. also full stiffens the car up as well.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Went for a half cage myself as didn't want all the hassle of getting in and out as its a weekend car. Also full cages are heavy

Just wanted protection from rolling, as don't fancy getting squashed, but wouldn't help much in side and front impacts I suspect

Better than zero cage methinks

If I interpret the MSA Blue book correctly circuit racing up to 2000cc only need a basic rollbar or cage complying with drawing K1 or 2, which are 'half cages'.
In practice though I don't think I've seen a race car without the front legs and secondary bar.
We have just bought a Sparco FIA compliant 6-point bolt in cage for the 182, This has front legs legs and hoop, and door bars which you don't have to fit.
It was £672 from DT, but bolt-in this case does still mean a fair bit of welding!
20180630_093836_resized.jpg

markfishy

ClioSport Trader
  So many but not mine
Does the half cage restrict taking part in events outside of open track days?
Hello James

Why not give us a call.
We are the authorised supplier of Safety Devices roll cages.
Mark has raced and prepared many Renault Clio's for customers for a number of years now and he can explain the pros and cons of each type of cage.
He will be able to help you decide which cage would suit your purposes.
Our number is 01279 431628, or his mobile 07775 752675.
Kind regards
Graham