ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

roll cage???

evo VI GSR
im thinking of putting a roll cage in my 182 i dont really no alot about them only the obv things what are the bad things about them? was what i was wondering to be honest! can you deal with them day in day out jus popping to work and normal jouneys or are they only good for track driving ?? thanks

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
You fit a roll car if you are going to use the car on the track, and are either afraid you'll have a big enough crash at a high enough speed that you need more protection that the standard features like the airbags are going to give you, or the category you are going to run it on on the track requires you to fit a roll cage.

The problem with rollcages is that if they are a good enough to actually provide much protection and meet racing standards they have to be permanently fitted and require the removal of the rear seat, loss of access back to that area from the front seats, and they lose you some of the boot as well. A decent roll cage isn't something that can be popped in and out depending on whether you want to take any mates down the pub or take the rellies somewhere.

182 inside
well i found that you have to have either a show cage or full weld in cage. being that i use the rear seats often I went for the k-tec cage and it's fine. weld in cage is very restrictive but worth it if your building a track only car.

evo VI GSR
cheers guys im thinking if i do put one in ill be leaving it in but just cant decide if its worth it im doing a few track days this year and hopefully will be doing more in years to come! id rather lose the back seats aswell means less people in and out hate giving lifts lol and would love some buckets as dont like the standard seating position!

clio 200 F4Rt
lets not forget the additional stiffness to the chassis a roll cage brings!

If you do a search there are a few threads kicking about which should answer most your questions and show you the options!

safety devices cage is a good options

I have one fitted in my 182, currently got the full fat interior in so 5 seats.

take it all out and put the harness bar in for trackdays so i can mount my harnesses to it!

Cage1.gif

Cage.gif

MarkFish1Large.gif

im thinking of putting a roll cage in my 182 i dont really no alot about them only the obv things what are the bad things about them? was what i was wondering to be honest! can you deal with them day in day out jus popping to work and normal jouneys or are they only good for track driving ?? thanks
Personaly I woulnd't bother unless you're going to stick sme decinet seats and use harness (properly) and remove the airbags etc show cages can be dangerous somtimes depending on crash typres there not a huge amount of good safe cages out there which do protect the occupents in a crash properly.

apart from the hassle, roll cages can be dangerous in road cars imo. unless you're wearing a helmet, in the event of an accident you're drastically increasing the possibility of serious head injury