ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rolling road results for my 172

RB 182
Hi there,

You may have seen me asking questions about mapping, putting the engine together etc..so thanks all for your input... well I decided to get it mapped at Emerald as I have a Sprint/Hill Climb this Sunday and I'm glad I did I managed 183bhp and 160lbft torque, not only am I happy with the figures but on the road it feels awesome :)
here's my spec for comparisons sake..
Phase2 172 engine (2003)
Phase1 throttle body
Pipecross air filter (£5 from ebay)
Lotus elise back box
Phase1 172 Standard 4-1 Manifold
Custom bit of exhaust with a realy tight :S 180deg bend
Standard apart from being in the back of a R5

Here's the print out
RR_183BHP.jpg

RB 182
it gets excited :).. I can't say I feel it on the road but it could be down to the 70cm ribbed induction pipe.. it may smooth out if I replaced it with silicon or something simular

RSTUNER'ED-C&B'ED RS-1
if it is truly from the knock sensor, it won't live longer, get a wideband and hook it up to your car.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Seems very high for a backbox not designed for the car and an awful filter :D

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
As Danny says the AFR looks very good, going slightyly rich at peak (which is usual for a road car)

172 cup & 182
The rolling road that Dave Walker has at Emerald is in a sound proof room unfortunately this causes feedback at high RPM which affects the trace on the power graph you just have to draw a line through the spikes.

You can see the same thing here.

Last edited:
  RB 182
Hello, what fuel were you using when you got these results ?

Pump gas or race gas ?

Standard unleaded

That seems odd. Its about 20bhp up from standard from apparently no real mods!

It's mapped to what the engine needs and wants.. the exhaust system is considerably different.. 20? err more like 10-15 at best..

what management is that on?

Emerald

That looks like it's got the knock sensor active and it's bouncing off it. Seen that done before elsewhere, pretty poor

Knock sensor is disconnected and disabled

What's with the Lotus Elise back box ?? Wouldn't one for a Clio be better ?

I need to keep the noise down, there's no easy way of fitting a standard back box when the engines in the back there's just no enough room.

Besides the elise box is stainless and looks prettier.. especially for £50

if it is truly from the knock sensor, it won't live longer, get a wideband and hook it up to your car.

it has a wideband

Seems very high for a backbox not designed for the car and an awful filter :D

awful? why.. it only filters the air dude :) if you read the air filter test sticky thread.. most of the performance filters just make more noise.. if I had my hands on a standard one I'd use it..

A back box not designed for this car.. lol ..do you think a back box behaves differently from one 2ltr four pot to another hehe..

Well its evident that the results are optimistic so it makes sense

It's evident someone has sour grapes.. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Please use the multi quote option.

What people are getting at is, if your very very lucky your car would run 169bhp standard as this is book figure. They didn't run this out of the factory so chances are slim.

So for the mods listed, your increase is some what unrealistic. Not doubting it. Just seems a tad optimistic?

No one has grapes, and certantly not sour ones.

RB 182
Thanks for your help with the quotes..

I can see what they're getting at but running a full stand-alone ecu that has been mapped around a completely different exhaust system and intake, I don't think it unrealistic to see a 10hp gain give an optimistic reading allowance of +/-5hp and you get the figure..

Now if someone upgraded their exhaust and put on an air filter with a standard ECU it'll only compensate for the mods.. map it specifically on a particular engine not a one chip suits all mapping and you'll get different results..

I don't see that as unrealistic

RB 182
fyi.. I had 2 runs and achieved the same figure, and then asked for the filter to be removed.. I had a run without it and lost 3bhp

As much as I'm a believer in standalone managment. I'm not sure you could map that much power out of a backbox, and a £5 filter. Ribbed won't make any difference. It's still going into the same plenum and then down the rough unmatched inlets.

If it does, maybe I should get my ITB's ribbed?

RB 182
As much as I'm a believer in standalone management. I'm not sure you could map that much power out of a backbox, and a £5 filter. Ribbed won't make any difference. It's still going into the same plenum and then down the rough unmatched inlets.

If it does, maybe I should get my ITB's ribbed?

I was joking about the ribbed.. lol

Don't worry to much about the price of the Air filter.. as numerous tests have shown it could cost £200 and you wouldn't see much over standard..

What ecu are you running?

Well other than my printout I guess it's just a trip to the pod.. £5 filter and all :race: