ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rolling Road

Hi,

Anyone know of Rolling road center near Dorset? I know they can do it at Richard Longmans, but they cant do a figure at the flywheel. If anyone knows of somewhere please let me know!

172 Cup

Unless they benchtest the engine every rolling road is going to estimate the flywheel figure. Im sure someone will know of a fairly accurate place down your way though.

as griff said an ATF figure will be calculated to take into consideration the transmission losses but this isnt always accurate. the only true ATF reading youll get is if you benchtest the engine.

I tried K-Tec but they dont have a rolling road(Only live 5 mins away from there though)

Would someone actually be able to explain to me what the difference is between at the Fly wheel and benchtesting the engine. To tell the truth i really dont have a clue. I really just thought you whacked it on a rolling road at it just told you what BHP your putting out.:oops:

Im sure the bloke who i spoke to at Richard Longmans, said he cant do an at the Flywheel figure, but can only do an At the wheels figure!! Im so confused!!:confused:

All i want is to see what BHP it has, then start the engine mods from there....

manufacturers will quote ATF(at the flywheel) figures normally. rolling roads can only measure power ATW (at the wheels) so they will make a calculate a figure for ATF taking into consideration power lost through the transmission. benchtesting is basically removing the engine from the car and connecting the dyno directly to the engine to give a true ATF figure.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Kiq12 - Id ask K-Tec who they use?!?

[Edited by CupCake on 03 December 2004 at 12:16pm]

tbh true ATF figures are a pain in the ass and will cost alot more than just putting the car on a RR and getting a calculated ATF figure. i dont see why you are overly worried about the ATF figure being precise.

172 Cup

Its your wheels that drive the car so rather than worrying about your ATF figures concerntrate on your ATW readings instead.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Quote: Originally posted by .Griff. on 03 December 2004

Its your wheels that drive the car so rather than worrying about your ATF figures concerntrate on your ATW readings instead.

|^True.......and different rolling road operators use different calculations to work out ATF figure anyway so even if the rollers were calibrated spot on you could come out with very different figures for power ATF.

EVO VII

ive been to a few rolling road events in my time with the RTOC, i cant believe how much the figures change from RR to another.

Went to Europarts last year one bloke got 275 bhp which is all the RR can measure to :eek:

i organised a RR event using my local RR operator ( ive used them loads before, i trust them with my car and the RR seems v.good ) Anyway the same bloke who got 275 bhp got 235 with the same engine and boost level ;) i got 201 bhp @ 21 psi.

We had a 172 on there with a few mods De-cat, e.t.c that got 175bhp. I dont take RR figures as gospel but if you go to the same one time after time you know if youve made an improvment or not. :D

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 03 December 2004

tbh true ATF figures are a pain in the ass and will cost alot more than just putting the car on a RR and getting a calculated ATF figure. i dont see why you are overly worried about the ATF figure being precise.
To be honest im not really that fussed, its just the guy at Longmans really tried putting me of saying id be better ofF going somewhere where they can do ATF. Quite silly really putting me off. But no, i think i will just stick to having an ATWs figure and go to Longmans. The main reason i want to get it tested is because when i bought the car, the owner told me an estimate of what the BHP is. So i just want to know how accurate he was, then work my way from there on engine mods. And with K-tec a 5 minute drive away, im laughing!;)

Anyway, cheers guys for all the help!!