ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rolling roaded my 197 the weekend

megane 285 sport
took my 197 on the rollers the weekend, got 199.6 bhp @the flywheel 150 lb of torque, 130bhp @ the wheels, pretty chuffed with the results, got it done at powerstation. my cars standard with igt panel filter no remap. what your opinions.

RB 200 Cup!
im alwasy amazed how much bhp is lost between the fly and the wheels - mind you 199 sounds good

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
torque seems a little low. think it should be in the early-mid 160's for a standard one

good bhp. is it standard?

A4 Avant
I had my 172 done at powerstation. it made 197bhp.

I've been told it over reads. Mine then made 186bhp at the west mids rolling road you went to.

Nippy white cup
Sounds good m8 but there is something hugely wrong with the wheel figs...I make that to be about 155 atf... about 170 would be around 200bhp iirc

Chris

Clio 182 FF Cup
70BHP in trans losses is huge, that rolling roads chatting rubbish.

70BHP = 51695 Joules/Second, if gearbox weighs 50Kg of mainly steel then specific heat capacity will be approx 21000joules/deg cel, meaning that to go from 10deg cel to 200 deg cel will take 77 seconds at full power, this ignores heat transfer out the 'box, but given that it only has a small surface area, with little fins, no cooling other than air passing underneath it, you can easily see that in a few minutes of full power you will melt your gear box together.

More likely to be nearer 30-40BHP being converted to heat in the 'box, 70BHP is too much.

megane 285 sport
well this rolling road is suppose to be the best in the country, and the power losses were called drag, so i was imagining that it was accounting for other losses apart from gearbox and drive gear. to be honest they seem preety clued up there.

Powerstation are without doubt very highly regarded, and trusted in the tuning industry.. You must have been living uner a rock not to have heard of them!? There rolling road setup cost as much as a small house..

Mk2 1.2 Campus
I don't believe any rolling roads to be honest as every one I've been to has given different readings on the same cars. Can't really see a use for them other than to allow a car to be mapped and give, at best, a rough estimate of power

VaVa
The ATW figure is the one most likely to be accurate. I make that to be about a 35% transmission loss. Which seems waaay too high imho.

Clio 172 mk2
Powerstation are without doubt very highly regarded, and trusted in the tuning industry.. You must have been living uner a rock not to have heard of them!? There rolling road setup cost as much as a small house..

I've always heard good things about Powerstation.

130bhp @ the wheels does sound a tad low though if your making close to 200 @ the fly

Focus RS mk1

I've always heard good things about Powerstation.

130bhp @ the wheels does sound a tad low though if your making close to 200 @ the fly

yeh i was thinking that, the calculation from wheels to fly seems wrong, had my cammed 172 tested on sunday it made 156bhp at the wheels and 200bhp at the fly.

A4 Avant
I was told by quite a few others on different forums that powerstation tewkesbury were pretty accurate, but got slated on here when my car made more power than anyone expected. Oh hum.

megane 285 sport
when i had my 172 tested at shifnal, it was 181atf and 153atw, but my 197 is far quicker than me old 172. the only thing i could probably do it take it to place i took me old 172 to and then i can compare

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Big gap between your atw & flywheel figures mate seems far to much . I would have said 155 - 160 atw seems more like it if 200at the fly . If it was measured at the wheels and flywheel estimated you have got a few problems !! ;) :D Take it to the one we went to on the rr day only way to compare mate.

megane 285 sport
there was also a few scoobys with us and me mates m3, the m3 lost 70bhp down to the wheels and the scoobys were losing between 80 - 160bhp depending on how much power they kicked out, 160bhp being the most powerful at 405bhp atf, the rollers at powerstation are a maha ram 3000, they any good then

ITB'd MK1
there was also a few scoobys with us and me mates m3, the m3 lost 70bhp down to the wheels and the scoobys were losing between 80 - 160bhp depending on how much power they kicked out, 160bhp being the most powerful at 405bhp atf, the rollers at powerstation are a maha ram 3000, they any good then

something massively wrong there. Odd as I've also heard powerstation are normally OK

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Powerstation sometimes reads high, but sometimes is fine. I've been there 3 times, once a load of standard engines all hit above there quoted power figures, and all were approx 7% over so was easy to see how much it was over reading that day.

As for powerstations low atw figures, here's an explanation from one of the guys there. on why those figures you see are not true atw figures and hence show stupidly high tranny losses

It's a dyno wheel horse power figure, not a road wheel horse power figure.
If the car was on the road it would have one contact patch per corner, in the dyno it has two per corner so the drag is higher whilst in the dyo having it's tyres pinched between the two sets of rollers.

DynoDynamics rollers are much smaller and exhibit less drag and conversely show more wheel power.

Some dyno's do indeed have one roller and it's just a big drum, they are commonly know as Mustang dynos, and the car just accelerates a known mass (the roller) to get its figures. there are no eddy current devices used in that and no strain gauge.

ITB'd MK1
Powerstation sometimes reads high, but sometimes is fine. I've been there 3 times, once a load of standard engines all hit above there quoted power figures, and all were approx 7% over so was easy to see how much it was over reading that day.

As for powerstations low atw figures, here's an explanation from one of the guys there. on why those figures you see are not true atw figures and hence show stupidly high tranny losses

It's a dyno wheel horse power figure, not a road wheel horse power figure.
If the car was on the road it would have one contact patch per corner, in the dyno it has two per corner so the drag is higher whilst in the dyo having it's tyres pinched between the two sets of rollers.

DynoDynamics rollers are much smaller and exhibit less drag and conversely show more wheel power.

Some dyno's do indeed have one roller and it's just a big drum, they are commonly know as Mustang dynos, and the car just accelerates a known mass (the roller) to get its figures. there are no eddy current devices used in that and no strain gauge.

nah sorry but that's just not right, you can adjust the load applied to the dyno rollers. Mustang is a brand name.

Renaultsport Clio 197
i did a performance analyser with my RS Tuner device and had about 150ish on the wheels...