ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS suspension college project

Clio sport 172
Hi folks,
I'm doing a project for college and the topic is vehicle suspension and Renault Sport. It's very basic but I need to include some technical data in it. I find it hard to put into words, we all know that Clio cars offer amazing handling but what actually makes them better at it than other cars?
I'd appreciate all sort of input and remarks on caster/ camber, steering, modifications, anything technical.
I know what suspension is and what job it does in a car, just looking to explain why it's so special on these cars (Any Renault Sport cars, not necessarily the clio). Even your own examples, what you have upgraded and why, the sort of stuff. I'm gonna talk about my own adjustable dampers 🤭
Also does anyone know, has there been any solutions adapted straight from motorsports that found use in our cars??
Anywhere in the history of Renault Sport. My lecturer is really fond of that kind of curiosities.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
I think in simple terms they get a good balance between grip, chassis weight, suspension stiffness and front rear weight balance.
If you measure a Renaultsport car vs its competitors you may find a pattern with roll centre front and rear, or wishbone length vs damper rate, damping rates front and rear or maybe even down to chassis stiffness. Some of it will be that the Renault sport models differ from their lower spec models with suspension design

Clio sport 172
I think in simple terms they get a good balance between grip, chassis weight, suspension stiffness and front rear weight balance.
If you measure a Renaultsport car vs its competitors you may find a pattern with roll centre front and rear, or wishbone length vs damper rate, damping rates front and rear or maybe even down to chassis stiffness. Some of it will be that the Renault sport models differ from their lower spec models with suspension design
Awesome, thank you lots! Gives me a lot to talk about, and to be fair for my level it'll be more than enough 😁

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
a few things worth exploring or looking into:
The base cars that the RenaultSport models are based on are generally nice handling cars, so starting with a good chassis design is always a good start.

The constant evolution of the cars, ph1 172, ph2 172, 172 cup, 182, 182 cup, 182 trophy, 197, 197 R27, 197 Cup, 200, 200 Cup etc etc. they are constantly evolving the setup of the car and adjusting to what the market/journalists are looking for.

then with the MK3 Clio RS / Megane RS you have the perfohub setup, that was game changing and radically different to what hot hatches of the time were using

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Didnt Ford release the Revo-hub on the ST225 in 2005? I have a feeling it was originally used on the Toyota Celica even earlier

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
Didnt Ford release the Revo-hub on the ST225 in 2005? I have a feeling it was originally used on the Toyota Celica even earlier
2009 when the Focus RS came out. The ST used the conventional arrangement

406 V6, Race Buggy
I mean the revoknuckle and similar pretty much just came about because of power and weight levels requiring less offset than a normal strut could give. It's not particularly revolutionary, it'd been around a long time before it just gave little in the way of advantage for more complexity at the times.

The main thing Ford and Renault did was slap a fancy marketing name on it. Pretty sure it was on some Renaults before the Ford even, I remember commenting on it at the time when Ford fans were going nuts over it.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I though it was a Lotus design from the the 90s Elan?

Late 80s infact.

1637933038356.png

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
I mean the revoknuckle and similar pretty much just came about because of power and weight levels requiring less offset than a normal strut could give. It's not particularly revolutionary, it'd been around a long time before it just gave little in the way of advantage for more complexity at the times.

The main thing Ford and Renault did was slap a fancy marketing name on it. Pretty sure it was on some Renaults before the Ford even, I remember commenting on it at the time when Ford fans were going nuts over it.

Toyota called their design the Superstrut so probably wins the naming competition (however its actually a different design completely)

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Toyota called their design the Superstrut so probably wins the naming competition (however its actually a different design completely)
Quite an interesting one.

All based on the same principle though, get the kingpin inclination (close to) in line with the steering axis.