ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rs tuner or remap?

ibiza cupra
was just wondering if anyone would give their opinion on this.
my 172 has a de cat, 2.5" straight through system and a pipercross panel filter so the mods arnt that much so would i get any more benefit from taking it somewere to get a map done over getting an rs tuner and doing it myself?
the reason i ask is because i would rather take it somewere and get it done properly if it is worth it to get the extra gains, but if i get an rs tuner, i will have to get a laptop too so its going to cost about the same so if the gains are going to be roughly the same, i would rather get the rs tuner. that way i have a laptop and diagnostic facilities too.
what are your thoughts?

monaco 172
Well with those mods your not really gona get any major gains from either method of tuning other than improved drivability.

Good thing with rs tuner is you can play about putting pops and bangs on and if it annoys you put it back to stock or try different maps.

But advantage of a map from somebody like rs tuning is that youl get before and after rr figures.

I've had my lightly modded 182 rs tunered and it's such a difference in drivability, just wish I'd bought the unit myself and did it now as it looked so easy.

ibiza cupra
Well with those mods your not really gona get any major gains from either method of tuning other than improved drivability.

Good thing with rs tuner is you can play about putting pops and bangs on and if it annoys you put it back to stock or try different maps.

But advantage of a map from somebody like rs tuning is that youl get before and after rr figures.

I've had my lightly modded 182 rs tunered and it's such a difference in drivability, just wish I'd bought the unit myself and did it now as it looked so easy.

i am swaying this way as it doesnt look like you get much more from a live map with very few mods and at least that way i have a laptop and stuff to show for my money rather than a few bits of paper (that i can always get another day anyway lol)
if the results of live mapping it are alot more than the rs tuner then i will go for that but if there is only going to be 2 or 3 hp in it then i wouldnt notic the difference between the 2 anyway.

Clio 1.6L 16V
Dude if you are interested I´m selling my RSTuner Pro in 135 euros!!, PM me if you want to do business, cheers.

ITB'd MK1
i am swaying this way as it doesnt look like you get much more from a live map with very few mods and at least that way i have a laptop and stuff to show for my money rather than a few bits of paper (that i can always get another day anyway lol)
if the results of live mapping it are alot more than the rs tuner then i will go for that but if there is only going to be 2 or 3 hp in it then i wouldnt notic the difference between the 2 anyway.

I saw a 172 manage 7bhp over an rstuner map with custom dyno time recently, and to be fair the RStuner map was pretty decent to start with

Megane RS 250
I'm lucky to have a rolling road at work, I think I'll have a RS Tuner in a few months and get the dyno before and after the map. I've got 182 manifold, sports kat and k-tec exhaust (but I'm changing the last one) and panel filter, not much but it should make some difference.

106GTI / NovaC20LET
i had the rs tuner map installed, was very happy with the results but had a ride the other day in my mates custom mapped ph1 with similar mods. Im now booked in for a map and selling my rs tuner. His car seemed to exploded off the line in comparison to mine, the low down torque seemed much nicer with a smoother delievery. After all thats the whole reason i wantd my car mapping in the first place, low and mid range torque. so gonna go for it :D

Last edited:

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I saw a 172 manage 7bhp over an rstuner map with custom dyno time recently, and to be fair the RStuner map was pretty decent to start with

What other mods did it have to make that much difference then?

And take it the Fastchip map was a generic one?

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
i had the rs tuner map installed, was very happy with the results but had a ride the other day in my mates custom mapped ph1 with similar mods. Im now booked in for a map and selling my rs tuner. His car seemed to exploded off the line in comparison to mine, the low down torque seemed much nicer with a smoother delievery. After all thats the whole reason i wantd my car mapping in the first place, low and bottom end torque. so gonna go for it :D

Who's car was that mate? Ph1's have cable throttle remember so the throttle response is much better

Also where was the car mapped and where are you getting yours done?

106GTI / NovaC20LET
hes not on here yet only owned the car for a week or so, told him to sign up though. came mapped when he bought it, the garage im using is a local to me called big fish tuning they mapped the ph1 and quite a few other 1*2's. Think he did a group buy for the north east lads earlier in the year but i missed it.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
hes not on here yet only owned the car for a week or so, told him to sign up though. came mapped when he bought it, the garage im using is a local to me called big fish tuning they mapped the ph1 and quite a few other 1*2's. Think he did a group buy for the north east lads earlier in the year but i missed it.

I'd be interested to meet up and have a ride out in your clio once its done if thats ok? How much are you paying for it and what sort of power is it going to make?

106GTI / NovaC20LET
I'd be interested to meet up and have a ride out in your clio once its done if thats ok? How much are you paying for it and what sort of power is it going to make?

Yeah, i dont see a problem with that. The map is £199, but was on phone with him for a good 20mins and managed to knock him down a little. Not sure what power is will make as every car is diffrent. Not entirely sure what the rs tuner maps offer but he sets up more aggressive valve timing, harder timing as long as you use 98ron or higher fuel, i believe he also can do launch control, pops and bangs etc etc. Saying all the though like i said earlier iam still happy with the rs tuner it completely transformerd the way my car drives but im just after that little bit more.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Yeah, i dont see a problem with that. The map is £199, but was on phone with him for a good 20mins and managed to knock him down a little. Not sure what power is will make as every car is diffrent. Not entirely sure what the rs tuner maps offer but he sets up more aggressive valve timing, harder timing as long as you use 98ron or higher fuel, i believe he also can do launch control, pops and bangs etc etc. Saying all the though like i said earlier iam still happy with the rs tuner it completely transformerd the way my car drives but im just after that little bit more.

Ah ok, I see you say everything seems more aggressive but what stress is this going to put on the engine in the long term? I'd prefer a smooth map that wont see my car detonate in 10-20k miles time

Is there anymore proof of his work apart from your mates 172?

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Ah ok, I see you say everything seems more aggressive but what stress is this going to put on the engine in the long term? I'd prefer a smooth map that wont see my car detonate in 10-20k miles time

Is there anymore proof of his work apart from your mates 172?

Nothing more that i can prove not untill i get it done myself, your welcome to have a ride out in it and if you can prove your insured on any car by all means have a drive. As for engine stress, the rs tuner is still going to put added stress out the engine, after all its not how renault intended it to be. As for blowing my engine i generally tend to cruise anyway most of my journeys are sub 15 mins and im a strong believer in fully warming the oil up on a vehicle before ragging it. I only really want the map for those sunday afternoon thrashes :D

ibiza cupra

see, now im swaying more towards a custom dyno one now lol.
i emailed torque of the devil and they said they can put a super chip on for an extra 9bhp. i didnt even know you could get a super chip for the clios.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
i emailed torque of the devil and they said they can put a super chip on for an extra 9bhp. i didnt even know you could get a super chip for the clios.

As far as I'm aware you cant

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Lol. I'd put good money on a RS tuner being better than any 'superchip'

ibiza cupra
think im gona get it booked in at rs tuning. heard a lot of good stuff about them so i think il be taking a trip to leeds soon.

Renaultsport Clio 172

Wonder if he says he can do all that we aren't talking of the same thing. Maybe he is just buying a license and mapping your car with his own rstuner. I think all these features are very unique to Fastchip, not saying it is impossible for others to do as well but it is just sucg a coincidence,

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Wonder if he says he can do all that we aren't talking of the same thing. Maybe he is just buying a license and mapping your car with his own rstuner. I think all these features are very unique to Fastchip, not saying it is impossible for others to do as well but it is just sucg a coincidence,

I'm guessing the pops and bangs only occur because of how henk sets up the car on over run, I'm not sure what all the different value's are that they work with but I'm sure it's possible for another tuner to do it aswell

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Pops and bangs are just retarded timing on over run. Anyone who knows how to map can add this

ITB'd MK1

Yeah totd use superchips re-flashing and similar system to fastchips for custom maps, ie a series of logs changes and power runs if I understood Chris right.

Superchips definitely do Clio maps, I used to play pool with the guy that decoded the ecu for them. He had a liquid yellow 182.

Yes these 'enhancements' Launch Control & Overrun come from me. AFAIK 'Big Fish Tuning' isn't buying reprog licenses from me. Which means he is just profiting for free from my work.
As long as people know that these features originate from me, I am good.

with rstuner car response is better at 4k until the rev limiter,final gains maybe ar 5hp more or less but the power curve of the car feels lot of better,I'm happy with it, you have too the option to buy a custom map and improves the map with your especific mods

Now I wanna try the overrun,that will be explosive muahaha

sorry abit new to the site, just read all this

what is the rs tuner?? :S program you put on laptop then plug in ECU?? were can i get one from? price ect

thanks toby :)

Megane RS 250
Is a sort of adapter with a USB port and a OBD port, so you can connect you laptop to the car and change the maps, through a specific software. Nothing new, there are lots of OBD adapter, but this is specific for the RS.
It's sold on the Fastchip website, plus you need to buy a license for your car.
Usually it's lesse expensive to buy a used one from here, do the job and resell it.

what is the rs tuner?? program you put on laptop then plug in ECU??

Yes software with OBD interface.
http://www.fastchip.nl/Programming-Equipment/Renault-RSTuner/Detailed-product-flyer.html

Features:
Updating to latest engine calibration, or tuned calibration 'chip tuning'
Backup of original engine software
Numerical display of available engine parameters
Graphical display of available engine parameters
Performance Analyser
Data logging, reviewing and saving
Fault code reading and erasing
Actuator testing, electronic throttle, fuel pump etc
'Flight data recorder' (premium version only)
iMFD DM-5 gauge support (premium+ version only)
Module support

Megane RS 250
I asked before, is there a dyno of the same car with your map and the stock one? even a modified one would be good (manifold, decat..the usual)...
I'm thinking of getting a rs tuner but I'd like to know if it's worth it.
A local tuner, who does a lot of Abarth, VW, Alfas etc.. was here a few days ago and I asked him about a custom map. He told me that with my mods they would probably increse the power around 10 hp and have a much smoother and meatier power curve. Price is around 300 euros with a speciale price.
I like the fact of having the rstuner and all of its functions, but if there's little or no real performance gain...
With the custom map they would do it here, with out MAHA rolling road and I would be pretty sure of the eventual gain, if there isn't I won't pay anything.

monaco 172
as said already peak gains will only be around 5bhp depending on the mods done, but its the drivability of the car which vastly improves, low down power is much better and you dont need to thrash it all the way to the 5k kick to get some acceleration.

people worry too much about peak power

Megane RS 250
Hipwell I'm asking about dyno for that exact reason, with a comparison of torque and power curves you can tell which car is more drivable!
I know very well about people asking about peak power. That day i was talkin about, the owner of a Golf GTI 211hp has his car mapped with a full exhaust, the car passet from 228 hp stock to 234 with a complete exhaust and map..he wasn't very happy.
BUT, and is a big one, torque went from 300 to 354 nm, the torque curve was higher from 2200 to 6500, and the peak power was the same from 5000 to 6500 rpm, when the stock car had it at 6200 and at 5000 had only around 190.

Black Gold Trophy
There was an issue of Performance French Car magazine where they tested the RS tuner on a stock 1*2 and it showed good results, I'll see if I can dig it out and scan it in later.

I've got the RS tuner myself and I can say I've seen good results with it and it's worth it's salt as a diagnostic tool alone. The data logging capabilities of it are brilliant, let alone being able to upload remaps.
Fastchip do custom calibrations too

Megane RS 250
Mmm I think I'm sold :star:

I'm getting one as soon as possible, new dampers are the priority now, matter of a few months.
I'll have it on the dyno before and after, and acceleration times too (usually I do the 50-90 in 2nd and 90-130 in 3rd, kph that is, before and after every important mod)
I'm a little concerned about 98 RON fuel, ina the last 6 months or so i used 95 for cost reason...I guess i'll switch back to 98?

monaco 172
Mmm I think I'm sold :star:

I'm getting one as soon as possible, new dampers are the priority now, matter of a few months.
I'll have it on the dyno before and after, and acceleration times too (usually I do the 50-90 in 2nd and 90-130 in 3rd, kph that is, before and after every important mod)
I'm a little concerned about 98 RON fuel, ina the last 6 months or so i used 95 for cost reason...I guess i'll switch back to 98?

you dont have to run ron 98 but youl get better performance with it.

Theres no garages near me that do 98 so i have to use 97 but it works fine, runs like crap on 95 though, but it did before the remap aswel.