ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rs tuner/tuning

Clio mk2 1.4 16v
Hi guys
Plz can u tell me a little more about these
I've only ever had the knowledge to tune on standard mk2 sagem units

Baisically are these things plug in maps that u can't alter or can u use them as a tuning programme?

Thanks

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Any way of telling if my Phase 1 had been tuned with an RS Tuning box before I bought it?

Goes really well, couple flat spots

Surrey rolling road says peak 165bhp

monaco 172
Higher rev limiter and slightly higher than normal idle are the usual things to check. But I'm not sure if this applies to phase 1 or not as the cable throttle may be different?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
K-Tec are offering their tailored remap on a phase 1 for £318 including vat

Includes a panel filter (Which i wouldnt need) so hoping £300. (Lot of money for a Phase 1 worth a Grand)

Its either that or an RS Tuner for about 250euro from Henk
Just a bit worried about getting the RStuner, then the map dont waork right- is their a way of putting the original map back on?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Be cheaper to drive all the way to Chris at efi. He only charges 179 on a stock engine. I bet it wouldn't cost you 140 in fuel.

Cheshire- long drive from Sussex- may give him a call though. thanks (260 miles and 4hrs+ each way- thats a trek and a nasty drive for a day/ as well as £70 ish petrol)

Last edited:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i'd hardly use the word 'fantastic' ?
Massively improved mid range, better idle, raised rev limit, easy to do, great software.

For the price of a map out the back of wee Jimmy's remap van (with his maps he buys from Greece) you are getting a properly developed map where the mapper has also developed the hardware and software to interface with the car. Give me that any day.

dan's cast offs.
Massively improved mid range, better idle, raised rev limit, easy to do, great software.

For the price of a map out the back of wee Jimmy's remap van (with his maps he buys from Greece) you are getting a properly developed map where the mapper has also developed the hardware and software to interface with the car. Give me that any day.

even with the rs tuner you're still only getting a generic map though (not trying to be argumentative by the way)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
even with the rs tuner you're still only getting a generic map though (not trying to be argumentative by the way)
Generic in the sense that it's one size fits all but very well developed in the first place, not many places are messing with the vvt etc to improve cold running etc

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
so with a generic map, if you have non standard set up, with different air intake, manifold and throttle body set up, the generic map wouldnt run straight?
Can the modifications be tuned in with the Tuner box?

And if the thing don't run properly, does it keep the OEM map so that can be put back on?

Last edited:
  monaco 172
so with a generic map, if you have non standard set up, with different air intake, manifold and throttle body set up, the generic map wouldnt run straight?
Can the modifications be tuned in with the Tuner box?

And if the thing don't run properly, does it keep the OEM map so that can be put back on?
Yeh you can save a copy of the original map on your laptop if you wish to go back to standard.

Rs tuner does have an option for custom maps where you send him some logged data and he will map to suit but it's not cheap.

Don't forget, the standard map is a generic map to suit all cars off the production line, they aren't fine tuned for each engine.

Rs tuner map will be fine for basic mods. Only if you bolt on an rs2 or a set of cams I think you will run into problems

dan's cast offs.
Generic in the sense that it's one size fits all but very well developed in the first place, not many places are messing with the vvt etc to improve cold running etc

vvt is to sort the torque losses, crossflowing etc 4 valve heads suffer compared to 2 valve heads, nothing really to do with cold start settings.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
As above there is the option to datalog and have a custom map but then you have the customer service issues flagged, that would make me wary.

The off the shelf 98ron map or groupe n what ever it's called suits breathing mods so exhaust and filter, matched inlets etc. Still a bit of a compromise over a proper custom map but again that's only really I'd your going to someone who is well regarded in tuning them, I wouldn't be handing £299 over to big Billy's remaps for a "custom" map even though he's done hundreds of them.... But the usuals that get good reviews such as rs tuning, efi etc etc will do a good job. I wouldn't say it was worth traveling though when there is a good off the shelf option like the RS tuner

Standard map can be saved to your pc so you can return to standard or swap about as much as you like.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
vvt is to sort the torque losses, crossflowing etc 4 valve heads suffer compared to 2 valve heads, nothing really to do with cold start settings.

Vvt only activates once certain perimeters are achieved, coolant temperature being one of them. The RS tuner activates vvt from cold which is why the cars drive so much better down low with an RS tuner map. From the factory even from new they were notoriously bad from cold start due to this. I'm not sure what Renault's reason was for it, not sure if it's down to emissions