ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS192 Exhaust Cat to middle section leaking.

Hi guys.

I bought an RS192 exhaust system for the 182 because the original exhaust was shot!

I am struggling to get a good seal between the cat and the middle silencer. It whistles quite loudly under acceleration.
I have re-made the joint now 3 times, and I have bought the stronger clamp for the joint that is recommended on here.

I re-made it for the 3rd time last night, and it only lasted roughly a mile before it was leaking again. What can I do to seal this joint up? I have covered it in fire gum, and clamped it all up level numerous times, only for it to leak again.

Any suggestions appreciated :)

Edit: Because i'm a nugget I have messed up the thread title it should read "RS192"

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
Re: 92 Exhaust Cat to middle section leaking.

fire gum - there's your problem, its s**t and should not be used on any form of exhausts EVER!

high temp silicone - done

He he Thanks Fred. Does it sound like I have excess movement on this joint? The cat tends to sag down as well. I have to get it to clamp up tight to stay up. Is this a good thing?

Essentially done that twice! Trying to find a decent silicone sealant now, can you recommend one? And i'll try that tonight :)

On a second note. How tight should the manifold to cat joint bolts be? I assume the springs shouldn't be fully compressed?

I've the same problem!

Fitted my Rs192 a few weeks ago and even with a decent new clamp and silicone sealant it still makes an odd noise under full acceleration. Really bugging me now. On mine, the cat and the exhaust don't quite line up at the same angle, this is my problem and I don't know how to fix it. I'm now waiting for Fred to say "told-you-so, that exhaust is simply rubbish!"...

Oh well, I'll just keep trying, next time with more sealant!

Impreza Wagon
Mines sealed ok with high temp silicone think it's loctite gasket stuff. Good exhaust once fitted but a poor fit as everyone knows. I'm moving to a yozza in a few months to see what all the fuss is about!

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
I have a Yozza, and i think mine isn't sealed properly to the cat as it sounds like a whooshing/suction sound when i get to 3k rpm that comes from underneath the car, guessing it might need some better sealant

ph1 172
I have a Yozza, and i think mine isn't sealed properly to the cat as it sounds like a whooshing/suction sound when i get to 3k rpm that comes from underneath the car, guessing it might need some better sealant

Nope, thats the cat itself. The only way to get rid of that is a decat.
I got fed up with the whistle from the cat, and after various thorough checks underneath at the cat and the fitting kit etc. there were no leaks.
Got myself a silenced decat, much better:approve:

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
I also have the Scorpion 192, bought the Trophy with it leaking and is still not sealed after being back 3 times to different exhaust places. They have tried high temp silicone each time.

It clearly is not right, is it? The angle of the join between the cat and the start of the system is off quite a bit. Just something other potential buyers should be aware of.

I think I can fix it by taking the cat off and joining it to the system first, then re-doing the cat-manifold joint with a new kit. It will take a few goes to get it right, I'm sure, as it will be a bit of guess work/trial and error etc. I will start new thread if it fixes it - Wish me luck...

My RS192 is staring to bug me. I have developed a buzzing between 3-5K after about 6 weeks of being sealed good and proper, which I think is the cat/centre join. It has also started rattling on idle, despite bending and re-washering the heat shield :( cant work out where the rattle is coming from either!

Time for the welded cat mod I think. Nightmare

Civic Type R
Used high temp silicone on mine, that was nearly 10k miles ago. No problems. Maybe they've made a bad batch or something.. Ring scorpion in Derby, they'll sort it for free.

Civic Type R
My cousin brought his second hand after I recommended it, he couldn't get it to sit right, he rang scorpion they booked it in and fixed it FOC. It had been bent out of shape, think they re jigged it.. Its perfect now. Worth a shot mate, you'll love it when its fitting right.