ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS192 fitting problems...

Renault Clio 182 Cup
A friend of mine owns a garage and is servicing my 182 today along with fitting my new Scorpion RS192 Exhaust ;)

Although i've just had a call from him saying he's spent 2 hours trying to fit the exhaust by the tail pipes that just wont fit!!!!!! he's pulling his hair out :mad:so are there any suggestions of an easy fix or tips for the poor bloke...

Thanks and advance,

Theo

Took me about 3 hours. But not having ever undertaken this kind of work before in my life, I thought I'd take a little time over this! It's a good system and I've never had any issues with it and still sits perfectly as the day I fitted it.

Renault Clio 182 Cup
Big problems... I have just spent a couple of hours with my friend at his garage trying to line up this exhaust. everything is fine until we go to fit the last (right hand side) back box which the pushes everything of to the left almost touching the bumper!

He does tune cars for a living so I do trust him not to bullshit me but he seems to think the pipe needs cutting and re-welding where it connects to the other pipe (the left back box) so the whole thing can sit straight. I can see exactly what he talking about as it seems as though scorpion or whoever manufactured it wasa couple degrees of when welding it.

The people who I got it from do not have phone number but i've been on the phone to scorpion all day with no luck after all there instructions.

Any ideas of how I can either fix this issue or have a number for 106parts. Here is the link where i got it from which i'm sure you all know -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCORPION-RS192-CAT-BACK-EXHAUST-RENAULT-CLIO-182-CUP_W0QQitemZ260363032106QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3c9ed8962a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A2136%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I really want to get this exhaust sorted as it sounds amazing but dont really fancy a wonky exhaust that burns my bumper...

Sorry for the rant but any advice would be great right now.

Cheers

I fitted the 2 rear boxes first and tightened the clamp around the join between the 2 boxes, but not too much, just enough so that it will also allow me to make adjustments by had to the lined the exhaust tips with the cutouts. Also loosen the bolts holding the exhaust mounts the car to help with the alignment. Once lined up I then tightened up the clamp and then fitted the centre section last. Once you're happy with the alignment, tighten up the bolts on the exhaust mounts.

Renault Clio 182 Cup
Thanks for the info, me and my friend mainly have honestly tried everything and all combinations but something really is not right. He will spend a bit more time on it tomorrow but theres only so long I can hold up his garage and delay paying customers...

I'll keep you updated in the morning.

thanks again for all your help

RSC 182 Cup
Loosening off the rear section mounts is very important for fitting it. I had to slide mine all the way to the rear and even then the tips still don't quite stick out (unless the system is hot).

I did have major issues getting the system to sit central in the rear cut outs- but a lot of fiddling around with the mounts and exhaust clamps loose got it near perfect in the end. I also "bent" the hangers on the rear mufflers a bit to help with the aligment.

My only gripe would be that the RHS muffler sticks out a little bit further than the LHS. (But possibly cutting a bit of pipe off the RHS section join might help with that?)

I also have what appears to be a leak at higher revs. It's a sort of air rushing/ metallic sound at full throttle and 6000RPM plus. But I've bought a new joiner for the cat join (factory one sucks) and some better silicone sealant for all the joins. I used some sort of exhaust joiner paste originally and I don't think it's done the job.

RSC 182 Cup
sounds like a s**te system to me. should have gone YS

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.... but if you haven't even seen, fitted and heard one then that's a lame comment.

Any "off the shelf" system is bound to suffer similar problems. Some fitting instructions wouldn't go astray, with tips like loosening off the rear exhaust hangers - and not tightening anything until it's all aligned in the rear cutouts. Having dual mufflers also complicates the fitting signifcantly. It would be ideal for the two mufflers to be welded together by Scorpion, but imagine how big the resultant system would be to freight!

It is a very high quality system- even the supplied clamps are nice stainless band clamps (not the cheaper U bolt style shown on their website.) It also provides a noticeable gain over the entire rev range. There is more torque at low revs in higher gears - where you need it.

If you want a loud system then the RS192 won't be for you. But if you want something that works (with proven gains)- and isn't intrusive in the cabin- then this is the system to go for.

Titanium 182
Personally I would have the RS192 / Janspeed system over the yozza anyday of the week to avoid looking like a brap' brapper'

And I shall be ordering as soon as I acn afford one ;)

Renault Clio 182 Cup
I agree with murcod on the basis that the exhaust system has had great feedback so far with only a few snags along the way such as fitment. I'm just desperate to get this exhaust sorted and frustrated I cant get hold of 106parts.com

From videos, posts and pictures the system looks fantastic for the price.

JUST WISH IT BLOODY FITTED........

I've fitted a couple of these and have never had a problem. Occasionaly you need to elongate the holes in the brace bar for the rear cans to get everything spaced properly and you do need to nip up the exhaust mounts AFTER the system is fitted while a helped/axle stand holds the exhaust in the correct position.

An hour start to finish to fit if the old exhaust comes off without a fight.

Cheers
M

RSC 182 Cup
I agree with murcod on the basis that the exhaust system has had great feedback so far with only a few snags along the way such as fitment. I'm just desperate to get this exhaust sorted and frustrated I cant get hold of 106parts.com

From videos, posts and pictures the system looks fantastic for the price.

JUST WISH IT BLOODY FITTED........

Check your PM's. ;)

Renault Clio 182 Cup
The exhaust is all fitted now but apparently one of the gaskets on the exhaust system is leaking a little water with a little whistle noise (not that noticable). He did say this could just be temporary until it seals up or knocks into place from vibration from the engine but to replace it it will be about £50 including fitting.

Is there any feedback on this???

Renault Clio 182 Cup
Also do you reckon theres a market for a slightly rusty 182 exhaust on here or eBay to get a bit of cash back?

Renault Clio 182 Cup
WOW___________ just picked up the car and the system sounds amazing, really is such a perfect deep bubble when idling and very descreet when driving as normal. Just have to put up with a little dribble of water for a bit where the catalytic converter meets the manifold pipe and a bit of vibration when driving high revs but will get this sorted soon...

Also just want to say thank you to everyone putting up with my ranting and cheers for all your help and tips.

theo

RSC 182 Cup
I think I've fixed my leak. It was the join after the cat and possibly the mid section to tail section join as well. I'd used an exhaust sealer putty that goes hard and it was absolutely useless. I've now used high temp silicone and the noises have gone. I also used a two piece clamp off Ebay for the cat join, which made it so much easier to align and seal the join properly.

I also found the manifold looked like it might have been touch the aluminium heat shield near the firewall- so reshaped that a bit. I think that was the metallic noise at high revs (engine moving enough under full power to let the manifold contact the heatshield.)

330Ci cab
thought best to hijack an older thread than start a new one (searching works!) :)

anyway, ive got a similar problem in that it just isnt looking right at the back..... the pipes are central but hang down way too low, about 1"1/4 too much, so much so that you can clearly see the scorpion writing. ive changed the 2 hangar brackets and tbh dont look like they are providing anymore support than the old and shagged ones i took off.

had it up on stands to see where i can find an 1"1/4 from but i havent got a chance. have undone all 3 clamps, wriggled about a bit, lost some knuckle skin too, and nothing is getting these pipes raised into position. has anyone else had this experience? are there stiffer rubbers that i havent found that are available? any help is appreciated as im not taking it to a garage as its something or nothing that can be done at home. cheers

E46 320D Tourer!
tbh mate, I used a tube of tiger seal on my mounts to make them semi solid. did that with them off the car though! took about 3 days for the stuff to go off fully though! I also ended up filing a bit out of the side of all the bolt holes on both mounts in order to get mine sitting central.

Just search for 'tiger seal mounts'. that should bring up what you need to see!

Can buy the stuff from any decent car parts place like CAS or motor-serv. About a tenner, far cheaper than the solid mounts at £35 each!

330Ci cab
they are dead centred but they are low, its almost like they need pivoting upwards but cant get my head around it, all i can put it down to it the rubbers within the hangars (which are new) but im wondering if anyone else can help

E46 320D Tourer!
even brand new original mounts are rubbish! its just the poor design of the mount. the rubber arms just cant take the weight of the system, oem or after market. if your not keen on tiger seal, some others have got a couple of powerflex square mounts and fitted those in the square cut out in the place of the original rubber. Cable tied them in and then drilled a hole just above center or wherever the hole needs to be for your system.

I tiger sealed mine. Although it might look a little 'pikey', it worked a treat for me.

E46 320D Tourer!
of course the other other option is to cable tie some bits of copper pipe or a couple of old sockets in under the exhaust hanger to prop the arm up higher within the mounts. again, a little search around on here and you'll see some pics of what others have done.

There are guides, but you'll need to sign up as a full user first.

they are dead centred but they are low, its almost like they need pivoting upwards but cant get my head around it, all i can put it down to it the rubbers within the hangars (which are new) but im wondering if anyone else can help

Just replaced mine with modified powerflex exh008 poly mounts. Sits perfect when cold but when it gets hot, the tips do tend to point down a little as you are describing. I completely understand what you mean with regards to the exhaust needing to pivot upwards from the back boxes...

I'll get some pics for you tonight if you want, but there is a guide on here.

It is a very high quality system .........It also provides a noticeable gain over the entire rev range. There is more torque at low revs in higher gears - where you need it.

All lies not going to have made any noticable gains from a standard system, and scorpion stuff is far from high quality. Glad you finally got it fitted and are happy with it though.

330Ci cab
Just replaced mine with modified powerflex exh008 poly mounts. Sits perfect when cold but when it gets hot, the tips do tend to point down a little as you are describing. I completely understand what you mean with regards to the exhaust needing to pivot upwards from the back boxes...

I'll get some pics for you tonight if you want, but there is a guide on here.

if you could post a pic of what mods you made, that would be great =)