ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RSI engine mounts/cylinder head

Rb 182

ok im looking at fitting a volvo turbo motor to my clio and the engine is the same basic design as the 1.8 RSi motor

ive been told however that the OSF engine mounting on the clio bolts to the side of the cylinder head, whereas on the volvo unit the head isnt used for mounting the engine at all and as such it doesnt have the 3 drillings into the head to take the clio mount (it only has the 2 nearest the front of the engine

ive taken the head off the engine however and under the timing belt cover there is a blank hole with no thread cut into it about 3" over from the 2 holes that are present (on the other side of the core plug), im wondering if this is where the other hole would be on the clio engine so am looking for some pics of an RSi cylinder head or OSF engine mounting, as if its the right place i should be able to get the head tapped to take the proper clio mounting saving me having to make custom bracketry

Also could anyone confirm the valve sizes and that the RSi cylinder head is flat bottomed with the combustion chamber resident inside the piston crown?

Cheers

Malice runs the same engine, and just doesnt have that mount, but when i removed the head off and rsi engine it dropped right down without that mount, and was bodged up with a seatbelt.

If i had my digi cam (mate is borrowing it) i would take the pics you want, i ahve a satripped rsi head, apart from valves in my garage.

i can mms you one piccy, but anythign over one starst getting expensive

Rb 182

if you could take some photos once u get the camera back that would be ideal

could u tell me if the head has a combustion chamber on it or if its flat bottomed and also the approximate diameter of the valves, im thinking that if the rsi head is the same head as the volvo one i could simply fit the complete RSi head instead and run the volvo inlet and exhaust manifolds on it

cheers

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

I think you can just use the rsi mount, i.e swap it over to the volvo head. Pretty sure thats what my mate did on his.

500bhp Scoob

Thats been done before. Youll end up breaking the cylinder head, due to the fact that its not secured properly to the point, after a while the engine will try and twist, and youll crack/break off the part where the bolts would go into the head.

Rb 182

Quote: Originally posted by Mole on 08 September 2005

Thats been done before. Youll end up breaking the cylinder head, due to the fact that its not secured properly to the point, after a while the engine will try and twist, and youll crack/break off the part where the bolts would go into the head.
And thats not good lol. I rember you saying something about custom mounts? Do you think your mate could make a set up for me.

Cheers Dave

500bhp Scoob

Indeed its not good at all.

Ive just started a plan on a new custom mount that wont use the cylinder head as a key mounting point, due to the fact that its not strong enough to take all the load, unlike on an RSi head, which has 3 points to take the stress.

Will get back to you once its all sorted, as my car is still off the road even now due to mounting problems, althou it runs, got a couple of vids of the engine running if you want to hear? doubt itll be good quality due to it being off my mobile, but ill get a better recording tomorrow aswell?

IIRC there is a combustion chamber, only a few mm above the head gasket, the valves are two differnt sizes, one for the exhaust, and one for the inlet.

Will try to remember to get some measurements.

Pm me tomorrow and remind me

Rb 182

the valves are always different sizes as its easier to get exhaust out than inlet gasses in, just need to ensure the valves are the same size as the volvo ones

apparently later volvo engines had heads with 3 holes but its a bit hit-n-miss, ours is a very early one anyway

im basically wanting to know if this blind drilling thats on the head is infact where the hole should be and if so ill get it tapped to take a thread and just use the RSi mount properly, if not then my next option is to fit the RSi cylinder head complete assuming its valves and combustion chamber is the same as the volvo one, only thing im wondering about is wether the volvo head might have sodium filled exhaust valves as its a turbo charged engine, but we can easily sort that by putting the volvo valves into the rsi head