ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS 197 Engine Rebuild - Tolerances / Running Clearances

Clio 172 & 197
My dad and I are looking to rebuild the engine in my 197 soon. All to OE spec.

I'm currently looking for a list of standard tolerances for everything. I've come across R3 specs, but these look to be larger than those of standard road going engines... I'm assuming to cope with the higher heats from a race engine.
I have come across specs for an F4R-736. will these be similar or the same as my 830. I assume the differences would be minimal.

I've attached an image of the specs I have managed to locate so far, but a few people have mentioned the crank lateral clearance values might be off. Would anybody be able to confirm the values I have are good & possibly add any I've missed that I might need!!

Also, what is considered a good compression value on these engines - mines at:
1 - 145psi
2 - 145psi
3 - 130/135psi
4 - 145psi

I'm sure I've read 170psi + as being healthy on these so there's definitely an issue here... Valve stem oil seals have been done already, and valves re-ground but we'll likely give the whole engine & cylinder head another overhaul while its apart.
Strangely, the piston that stood out, and looked the worst was nearest the timing belt end. Photo attached. Looks like its possibly gotten quite warm!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 23.26.26.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 23.26.26.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 59
  • tempImageGt9xdM.png
    tempImageGt9xdM.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 55