ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RSI or RT

I need a new car but im stuck in a dilema.

I have two possibilities - both cars are owned by cliosporters (or ex cliosporters).

One is a blue RSi, N reg, 103K miles, FSH, well looked after, sound car apart from a few dents/dings - £1k

The other is a 1.4 RT, K reg, 60K miles, FSH, mint condition - £1.5k

Insurence is the big decider im looking at about £1500 for the rsi, and thats on my mums, for £1300 i can go in my name on the rt and start building up no claims. just means i have a slower car for a while.

Sensible comments only pls, i dont want people saying get a valver or anything, just if you were in my position which of the 2 cars woudl you get, oh im 18 btw, been driving 18 months

yeh get the RT, otherwise in a few years if you wana get rid of the RSI and get summin quicker valver/172 or maybe not a clio:eek: the insurance will cost a fortune! best to get the NCB m8!

car? need a license 1st!

agreed, get yourself the RT. cheaper insurance, then when u have some no claims u can get the RSi :>

and the RT isnt slow u know? :D
i have a 1.4S and i blew away a saxo VTR the other day

Mr2 Roadster

Bit pricey for an RT, my mum paid £1000 for a 10,000 miler with full Renault service history.

This is the same decision as i had to make, my insurance is quite expensive (due to 9points) and i needed a new car.

Saw a nice blue RSi with only 60K and FSH, mint for £1,850 private.

And an Met Green RT with 52K, FSH (plus alloys and spoiler) 2 lady owners and one bloke in his 50s. Mint for £1,995 dealer.

Insurance on the RT was £590

Insurance on the RSi was £1,150

I offered the dealer £1600 for the RT with my old uno as part ex and he accepted, so i bought it. I love the car to bits, first car ive actually bought (and im 22 lol :oops:)

However, as if to haunt me, a mint RSi same colour as mine parks outside work every day!! lol

[Edited by ricjax99 on 20 July 2004 at 2:05pm]

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by ricjax99 on 20 July 2004

Thats already 1K on what he planning let alone the insurance lol, nice tho! :)
Yeah but its worth it!;)

don't

ive got an RSi but id say get the RT, its lower mileage and even 1 years no claims makes a big difference

have the RT for a year or sumin, then get RSi or valver

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Lunner on 20 July 2004

Ok cheers guys, i was thinking of the RSi, but it really is the more sensible option to get the RT
Sensible is boring though is it not?

Quote: Originally posted by Clio16vSport on 20 July 2004

sensible option

get the RT and build up no claims:)
Nah, thats the boring option.. build up no claims on the quickest car you can get! Heh!

don't

actually im not sure anymore, have a look at what money u can bring in etc and if u can afford it or not, check service history on both and mayb go have a really gd look at both of em, test drive etc , c if either 1 needs any work on it

wonder how many rsi owners r on the forum

RSi are noticeable quicker than an RT after my experience in Nickys hehe:)

but i would say go for RT for now build up your no claims worth doing really then can get quicker cars later on a lot cheaper

could even get an engine conversion later on

Vix ;)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by powelly on 20 July 2004

but i would say go for RT for now build up your no claims worth doing really then can get quicker cars later on a lot cheaper

Vix ;)
Typical female advise - dont listen!;)

Surely you want a car with a bit of power!

My curerent policy carries on till end of sept, to have an RT on it woudl cost £10 extra, for an RSi, £150 extra.

In my name an RSI would be about £2500, and an RT about £1500.

In mums name an RSi is about £1500.

Still get no claims in my mums name, but only as long as i stay with her, so when i go inot my own name i will have no no claims

The other option is to buy a sh*tter for say £50, keep it taxed etc and insured but dont drive it, and have that insured 3rd party on a bonus accelerator scheme, and build uyp my no claims that way...

500bhp Scoob

get an RT mate, they are good cars for what they are, n are tuneable if u wanted to go down that route.

Nice n nippy, get a nice one and u cant go wrong.

plus cheaper to insure, and they keep up with most 1.4s of today, including the MG ZR 1.4 :)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Thats because the MG ZR 1.4 is lardy!

Get a RSi and whilst your young have fun! Im 19 and have a valver so im sure you could get an RSi!

don't

u wont even need it taxed m8, just get any old piece of sh!t with wheels (nova)

keep it in a garage or wherever really and have it insured 3rd party only!

then get rsi under mums name

try 2 find out what the cheapest possible car 2 insure is,

sum cars are only about 600cc i think, just get sumin really really old thats cheap, doesnt even need 2 run does it lol

then get quotes 4 it, try elephant and even stick ur mum as an added driver on the policy mayb

Quote: Originally posted by Tom16v on 20 July 2004

Quote: Originally posted by powelly on 20 July 2004

Vix ;)
Typical female advise - dont listen!;)

Surely you want a car with a bit of power!
OI watch it you! hehe

i just like doing it the fun way lol!

you get no claims then and also get more power later on

tbh im not being honest if it was me i would just go for the RSi and stick it in my name lOL! i just go for things then and then worry about them later ;)

Well, to be honest, the Williams is affordable.. and Im 20 No NCD.. so you might aswell start building them early.

I got a quote from HIC for 16v in my name, 20 No NCD, TPFT and it was only £760.. which is damn cheap, heh.

500bhp Scoob

im 19, on my RT, on my own is 1200 TPFT, mods cost me no extra, and are all declared.

Not really what id call cheap unfortunately. Depends on where u live aswell, I guess i must be in a high crime rate part of my town

Really?

Whats the number for HIC.

Anyone got a sh*ter going cheap, whats the cheapest thing to insure, old 1000cc mini?

Was a low price tho.. like, £500 less than anyone else was quoting on a Valver at the time.. think itll be different now.

don't

im 19, with HIC 2 crashes, at fault for 1, 1yrs ncb

rsi, paying 900 tpft

HIC is in insurance part of forum, on page 4 of insurance tips! thread itll b on page 4

306 XLd

Fiat Pandas (old ones), 2CV, Seat Marbella, Fiat 126 there all in Group 1

Minis can be cheap depending on year just finding one cheap

Quote: Originally posted by f1fan111 on 20 July 2004

Fiat Pandas (old ones), 2CV, Seat Marbella, Fiat 126 there all in Group 1

Minis can be cheap depending on year just finding one cheap
how much we looking at roughly to insure these kidna cars, for a year 3rd party and keep it off the road?

i got a quote of 235 quid to insure my 1 litre uno for a year fully comp so i wouldnt guess at those being much more than that,lol#

and get the RSi and worry about the extra money youre shelling out later. i was paying over 2k a year on mine when i first had it and i wouldnt have had it any other way. If anything itll make you appreciate it that bit more.

Clio 197

got my renewal through this year from liv vic, they dropped it to £830 from £1100 last year, got a quote from HIC all mods declared, trackday cover (if i will use it) etc for £753 in my name by the way.

I needed to change as well as im not convinced by Liv Vic when they say mods dont matter etc, you ring up again speaking to someone different and they give you a higher quote for the mods youve done....ahhrgh it sounds dodgy to me.

Lunner mate get the RSI, like dean said if you pay a bit more you will appreciate it morel, take it easy and enjoy the extra power (also that RT for £1500 is tooo dear)

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_popup.asp?odelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=RENAULT&model=CLIO&min_pr=1000&max_pr=2000&postcode=S21+1jt&miles=40&max_records=200&source=0&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH&start=4&distance=30&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200428150996416http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_popup.asp?odelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=RENAULT&model=CLIO&min_pr=1000&max_pr=2000&postcode=S21+1jt&miles=40&max_records=200&source=0&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH&start=4&distance=30&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200428150996416

^^ If this was there when i was buying, id have it!

RENAULT CLIO 3DR RSi, 96,
N reg. 36000 miles, Starburst silver, MoT April 05, FSH, 2 previous owners, full electric pack, plush velour interior, 15 alloys, beautiful standard car. £1,495 . ono.

[Edited by ricjax99 on 21 July 2004 at 11:52am]

[Edited by ricjax99 on 21 July 2004 at 11:52am]

[Edited by ricjax99 on 21 July 2004 at 11:55am]

[Edited by ricjax99 on 21 July 2004 at 11:55am]

[Edited by ricjax99 on 21 July 2004 at 11:56am]

[Edited by ricjax99 on 21 July 2004 at 11:58am]

[Edited by ricjax99 on 21 July 2004 at 11:58am]

How the hell do you post links without having a massive URL!!!!??? :mad:

[Edited by ricjax99 on 21 July 2004 at 11:59am]

[Edited by ricjax99 on 21 July 2004 at 12:00pm]