ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RT vs VTR - again!

Mrs' valver! &myV6 veccy

Ive just had quite a shock!

My mates just bought an S plate saxo VTR, thought he was gonna whoop me, what with it being a 1.6.

However, different story!

He was 2 up, whereas it was just myself in the clio. His is standard bar a Magnex. Mines chipped, induction kit, and straight through exhaust. Had a few races with him & i can honestly say he could NOT catch me once, not even get slightly closer! I got up to 70 & above on the by-pass but he still couldnt get closer!

He was definitely trying because he had a 1.2 clio before that & hes the sort of driver to always cane it up your jacksy and stay there!

Only possible reason for this happening i can think of is that hes only just got the car so clutch action is not 100% yet, whereas i had mine on the boil throughout.

I know many of you are already thinking either "he wasnt trying", or "thats a load of bo**ocks", but im not the sort of person to come and make bullsh*t claims about beating cars.

He told me himself after he was shocked! As am i coz i honestly thought he wouldve whooped me!

SHOCKING!

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

I believe you as Ive had experiences with VTRs in my RT, however, Ive only got induction and backbox nothing else so prob not as powerful as yours. With the mk1 VTRs Ive beat some and lost but a lot of time its neck and neck, nothing in it at all. The 0-60 on them is only around 10 secs, standard 1.4RT is 11, Ive had mine timed at 10 with digital video camera, not that accurate but gives a rough idea!

The RT aint bad at all considering it aint a sporty model at all!

When SmoothedClio (aka Pete) had his RT, I saw him chase and stick like glue to a white VTR with a chip, induction, zorst etc with no sweat. I posted to say so at the time!

The VTR was his mates and had over 20k miles on the clock. But then if it was a 90bhp VTR then its not all that surprising really.

The RT, as standard, has 80bhp. And with those mods is probably about 90hp. But will probably be a lot smoother and livelier with it. And the Saxo...well its a Saxo.

Paul

Cool Ben, but I was on about the other guy. But if your mates RT could do it against a modded Saxo, then there is hope for me now :)

Paul

wait till you have a race with a VTR round the contry bends as they have amazing handling when lowered. My mate had one and throgh the bends i didnt stand a chance but as soon as we where though them i was off leaving him for dead.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Ive had a go at VTRs in our 1.4 RT and they aint much quicker...

Remember, the early ones were only 90bhp and the later ones 98bhp, so the RT aint far off power wise and weighs a little bit less.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

True about handling klmillard, my RT does grip quite well but theres a worrying about of body roll at times!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by klmillard on 20 March 2003

The clios do handle well compaired to most cars but both the Saxo VT*s and Fiesta Vetec Ss handle better
Agreed...

Mrs' valver! &myV6 veccy

It was the earlier shaped one yeah.

Just met up with him again today and had a proper go down the by-pass.

After about 85/90 he started to edge away by the smallest amount. & i do mean a tiny amount.

Thanks guys, had a feeling id get slated coz ive seen a similar post about an RT vs VTR before!

zedx19 i wouldnt say i was able to beat it at all. But it was absolutley neck and neck all the way.

Quite pleased really as didnt expect to fare very well against one!

The newer versions however may be a different story i fear!

Lupo Gti

u must have been giving the RT sum, my RT is exactly the same as a saxo Furio in terms of speed , not a inch in it all the way to 100, i cant understand how u managed to keep up with a VTR!

I was also thinking of trading in the RT for a VTR, hmm not sure now!

LMS!

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

People expect VTRs to be fast, RTs just look like your average hatch in the standard form. In other words, do not buy a VTR!

Mrs' valver! &myV6 veccy

Drop a 5 GT turbo engine in it! Thats what im doing when ive got the cash!

I think the newer VTRs are definitely better than the old ones. The styling is much better, plus quicker! Driving position is still absolute pants though im sorry to say!

Lanky_mos, I was certainly giving it some! As I said I had to keep it on the boil all the time! My RT is rubbish bottom end probably coz of the mods, but once its goin its not that slow!

Still got all my stereo in the boot too! Theres like a massive bass box and 2 12" subs in it so if i took that out should possibly be able to edge away a tiny tiny bit from the VTR!

All my interior is coming out soon anyway for the re-spray, so ive said ill come and race him in it again with just the drivers seat and dash in it! Should be fun!!!

I have been in and driven a VTR many times and it is not fast - although many of the owners of them seem to think so (see saxo sports club LOL). The speedo is very generous aswell - my 90bhp Tdi work golf kept up with one on the dual carrageway yesterday - the guy was most annoyed. For the money they are great cars (handle superbly) but dont be fooled by a bodykit and a set of alloys. I think it does 0-60 in about 9.4 which sounds quite good but the 0-100 is over 30 secs LOL

clio 20v

i can believe this i was quite impressed wen brun was doing some ap-22 runs on the lancs and i was behind him

a 1.6 16v megane decided to join in and it wernt pulling away by much we got to well over 80 before i had room to cut into bruns lane and untertake the megane to show the guy valver power hehe

Well I have just spoken to my cousin (that owned the VTR I commented on) and he says he was just quicker than a standard RT. When he had his VTR his parents had a RT and him and his father used to has the occasional chase. He reckoned with the mods you have done they would be about the same. Apparently his VTR was OK until 85-90 then quote "it hit a brick wall" LOL

He rates his VTR as the best car (£ for £) hes owned including a Subaru Impreza Turbo, 2ltr westfield and a 300bhp RX7!! Admittedly the RX7 broke down after 147 miles 2 months ago so it may move up in his estimations when the engine gets put back in next week!! His VTR is the reason I got my willie - not the fastest but a great all round car.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

0-60 will never be 9.4 on the road, driver skill will knock it down to 10 at least! Im sure someone had official figures out a brochure or summit scanned in as well saying 0-60 in 10.6, anyone on here?

Anyone done a 0-100 run in the RT?

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

I was gonna say sommit witty to that remark Ben but Im just sit quietly your probably right! lol

Skoda Fabia vRS

iirc the first vtrs are fairly evenly matched for a 1.4RT

however, the new ones, well, ive managed to beat em before around bends an stuff, but once ur on a straight an it gets to about 80+ they start edgin past quite easily, i dunno what it is but ive had it happen 2-3 times now