ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rubber grommet in passenger footwell

Jap Box
Hi,

Question about this again :rasp:

Ive found 2 grommets, theres one pretty much above the other one, which one is best to use to wire the sub in, and also I cant for the life of me find out where they end up on the engine bay side of the car.

Got the dash top off as I thought that might help slightly but it hasnt at all lol

Also, would would I use to pierce through them as I dont want to go poking around and end up cutting some important wires.

Thanks

Black Sheep
Dont waste your time with that rubber grommit rubbish. i just done my 172 the old fashioned way with a drill, and that was stresssfull as it is very tight and i had to take the power steering resevoir off so i could drill from inside the footwell and actually see the hole. I have done a sub in the exact car you have and all it takes is a bit of thought, and OH did i mention a drill!!. There is actually alot of room for error as you can basically see the whole back section with the 1.2 engine. Make a hole in the footwell inside where it will not be visible to passengers near the middle slightly to the left. Once you carfully get to the metal tap a screwdriver against the metal and get a friend to feel where it is tapping in the engine bay, not scientific but it works:approve:. There is a couple of small pipes but you shouldnt be near them just to warn you. once you are sure and after much thought start drilling!! Poke your red cable through to the battery job done:cool:

Jap Box
Dont waste your time with that rubber grommit rubbish. i just done my 172 the old fashioned way with a drill, and that was stresssfull as it is very tight and i had to take the power steering resevoir off so i could drill from inside the footwell and actually see the hole. I have done a sub in the exact car you have and all it takes is a bit of thought, and OH did i mention a drill!!. There is actually alot of room for error as you can basically see the whole back section with the 1.2 engine. Make a hole in the footwell inside where it will not be visible to passengers near the middle slightly to the left. Once you carfully get to the metal tap a screwdriver against the metal and get a friend to feel where it is tapping in the engine bay, not scientific but it works:approve:. There is a couple of small pipes but you shouldnt be near them just to warn you. once you are sure and after much thought start drilling!! Poke your red cable through to the battery job done:cool:

Ohh hell no am i letting someone or myself loose with a drill on the car! My mate went to do it earlier and I said it was in no way a good idea and we will obviously dill right through some expensive s**t :rasp:

Only option is the grommet :(

Golf GTD Mk7
It's behind the sound deadening on the bulk head. Not sure on yours, but on sport you need to remove ps reservoir, coolant reservoir , and move the sound deadening. You be able to feel it, but not see it easily. Oh and poking something through it is a pain. Good luck ;)

Jap Box
It's behind the sound deadening on the bulk head. Not sure on yours, but on sport you need to remove ps reservoir, coolant reservoir , and move the sound deadening. You be able to feel it, but not see it easily. Oh and poking something through it is a pain. Good luck ;)

Ahh f**k sake, might just go halfords and see how much they want to do just the power cable for me, doubt they would want full £40 whack for that!

350z, Subaru Legacy
Have done this in a 182 before and will be doing it again soon, using the rubber gromit - you just need a straightened out coat hanger, some string or insulation tape and feed the wire through from inside the car to the engine bay. It should come out underneath the power steering reservoir. No need to drill anything.

Black Sheep
You better get some good lube then! cause there is not enough room to get a needle and thread through those grommits never mind a 12v power cable. :S

Done it on mine plus 2 multicore lighting cables.
If you look at the fuse box in the engine bay then go straight back and down a bit that's where it comes out. Found it easier to go from bay to inside than the other way. I'll grab a picture later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk