ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ruined...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
What can I see?
What can't I see?
What can I reasonably expect to happen?

Oh look at that van with the trailer/scissor lift approaching...he doesn't look like he's stopping? (lift off and cover the brake) Is he? Isn't he? He isn't, he's pulling out regardless (brake).

Or

Oh look at that van with the trailer/scissor lift approaching...he doesn't look like he's stopping? Is he? Isn't he? He isn't, he's pulling out regardless (floor it and go for the gap).

You are all talking as if this all happened over a matter of minuets. the chances are the van entered the roundabout unexpected at a point where the OP was left with very little reaction time.

A LWB van towing a scissor lift will not do anything at all suddenly leaving no reaction time.

Personally I think not, if the third party never pulled out this wouldn't have happened so he is also to blame meaning 50/50

I see that. I'm just playing devils advocate here. There's lots to learn for the OP.

Clio 172
A LWB van towing a scissor lift will not do anything at all suddenly leaving no reaction time..

haha. I get what you are saying, and I'm not defending the OP, my initial reaction would be to cover the break and stop if I spotted the situation developing, not go for the gap! BUT...you weren't there, non of us were! Its easy for us all to say "the OP dropped the ball here, lets all flame the OP!", But you would be telling porky pies if you said you had never zone out when driving and naively expect other drivers to have control over their vehicles and to be paying attention.

If I'm on a roundabout in day light with that much viability the last thing I expect is a van to pull out in front of me, so while I might see it coming up on the slip road, my initial reaction would be that its going to stop, and only when its crossed the white line would the foot be buried in the shagpile to not collide with them.

to the OP - In the future, only ever go for the gap if it looks like this! ;)

Jack

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
A question for the OP - how do you think the van driver's statement is going to read? Something like this perhaps:

I approached the roundabout in the left lane, indicating right to join the right lane and started to move into the gap which I'd identified both as I approached the roundabout and in my mirrors as I began my manoeuvre. For some reason the crazy Clio driver was determined to not let me in, in a blatant act of road rage & aggression, he sped up and tried to block me from joining into the gap before deliberately causing a collision, driving into the side of me. There was nothing I could do.

Without any independent witnesses how will any insurers know whether your version or his version is closest to the truth?

I-Music 1.5 DCi 86
Quote ALL THE POSTS!

can you explain to me why you would loose your insurance ?

i am not sure i understand

oh and not being pedantic ,but being a frelance network engineer (your bio) do you not work for yourself so why quit your job ?

I am concerned about losing my insurance because I had a total write off after losing my '07 Dyna S in a weather related incident involving snow and a tree. One car incident, no injuries, just one sad looking Dyna S and me a bit shaken up. Then I had a claim made against me in December of last year having taken full responsibility for damaging a 6 month old Audi A1. Again, no injuries but it was my fault due to a momentary lapse in concentration. That alone put my insurance up sky high so I'm worried that the insurer will put it up by another massive amount, so much that I might not be able to afford it or it becomes uneconomical to insure the vehicle.

Yes I work for myself. I'm an electronic and network engineer. I also have a part time contract for IT maintenance in a school, which is 30 miles from where I live, so both jobs that I work at the moment require me to be able to drive. I would not be able to do either if I wasn't driving.

I'm not buying that last bit, he had right of way, not the van so will be 50/50, but not his fault.

Right of way is something that wasn't mentioned until you brought it up, and that would be my argument. All possible reactionary measures aside, he drove in front of me when I had right of way.

I think what Harv means is that if the OP didn't take the action expected ie emergency braking, he could be seen as being partly responsible for the collision.

Probably :dapprove:

Could it not go against him though?

At 40mph you can stop pretty much on a sixpence in a modern car. So the options were brake for the idiot van driver that you could see would/was pulling out, let him go, continue on your way and no incident occurred...

Or, think "I'll put my foot down and get around him", the last thing he with his long vehicle and scissor lift is/was expecting and it all ends in tears.

The van driver did the same in both scenarios, the OP is the one who had the choice and the choice he made meant an incident unfortunately occurred. Up to the point he decided to 'go for the gap' it would seem as though the incident was avoidable.

I really need to clarify this. I wasn't so much "going for the gap" as moving normally into the correct lane for my exit, but yes I saw the van and thought he was going for the other lane which in hindsight I should have known he wasn't doing. As someone has said though, I didn't have time to think about anything other than "s**t, switch lanes quick".

'And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver'

Bahaha... He's my racing idol and that made me chuckle :)

You are either very unfortunate and unlucky - or you have to take on the realisation that you're not as good as you might think. I've lived in an out of the Manchester area for pretty much all of my life - and some of the driving habits of people simply beggar belief. I've had a few close runs, some I'll happily admit to be my own mistake or oversight. I've also been in two separate car crashes - neither of which were in this country, nor was I at the wheel. In twenty-two years of driving, I've not had the situation that you mention above.

Who knows. Maybe I'll drive home tonight and get the 182 written off? Maybe my own arrogance in this situation will come back and bite me on the arse? But you have to question when you have a significant number of close calls and near misses as to whether or not the over-riding factor in all this is yourself? Everyone out there on the road can't be a complete idiot. ;)

I'm not wishing you the worst - far from it. But take the resulting action as a learning experience and try to take the best from it. You can never 'learn' spatial awareness as such - you either have it or you don't - but everyone has the ability to ease off and let the nutters in front deal damage to themselves and each other.

D.

Nope, I'm really not a bad driver. I'm confident at the wheel, was taught by a very good instructor and passed my driving test with flying colours. I've been driving for 9 years and drive around 30k miles per year, and I've learned a lot from the bad habits and mistakes of others. When I say close calls, I mean lorries on the wrong side of the road, cars approaching me at speed along narrow country roads over blind rises in the middle of the road and as today's unfortunate incident is a fine example of, people driving out of junctions in front of me. Given that on a foggy morning here you can literally not quantify the number of people with fog lights as standard equipment on their vehicles who don't put on so much as sidelights to make themselves visible on the road, it's entirely plausible to assume that not quite everyone but a lot of people on the road are in fact complete idiots.

You are all talking as if this all happened over a matter of minuets. the chances are the van entered the roundabout unexpected at a point where the OP was left with very little reaction time. Leave it up to the insurance company or even the courts to decide if its a 50/50 or total blame incident, your all just speculating and not even answering the OPs question! "what's this sort of damage likely to cost the insurance company?"

The cost will be based on the quotes and estimates they get to fix the car and agree a pay out price based on the average cost. They will try and get you to have the repair done at one of their "approved" garages, but by law you have the final say in who does the work. In all honesty, it doesn't look to bad, be sure to get a new door skin fitted and as much of the dent pulled out the rear quarter as possible, you don't want a car that's full of bondo/bog/filler! Get it done properly and to a good standard!

Jack

There was maybe a 3 second window where I could react to the developing situation and make a decision about what to do. I chose to change lanes (NOT go for the gap) in the subconscious hope that the van would change lanes to let me in. By the time I realized we were going to collide, I was alongside him and it was too late.

The car will be going to a local (to the school where I work) insurer approved body shop called Lennon's Car Body Repair who worked on the car after the last accident and did an immaculate job. I would be happier with the rear QP being replaced but I suppose given the cost and difficulty of that, they will just pull it out and fill it instead. I f**king hate the fact that the car will have filler in the panels now. A member of the GT4OC (GT-Four Owner's Club) had their ST205 hit whilst parked in a similar way and the insurance company wrote it off as a CAT D, meaning he had to buy it back off them :(

Personally I think not, if the third party never pulled out this wouldn't have happened so he is also to blame meaning 50/50

That's what I was basing my initial assessment of no liability off. Technically I was changing lanes into the correct lane for my exit and he drove into the side of me.

There's lots to learn for the OP.

That there is, always.

If I'm on a roundabout in day light with that much viability the last thing I expect is a van to pull out in front of me, so while I might see it coming up on the slip road, my initial reaction would be that its going to stop, and only when its crossed the white line would the foot be buried in the shagpile to not collide with them.

He wasn't even coming up the slip road, he was already pulled up and stopped at the junction! He pulled out as I was approaching.

to the OP - In the future, only ever go for the gap if it looks like this! ;)

Jack

Sound advice that ;)

A question for the OP - how do you think the van driver's statement is going to read? Something like this perhaps:

I approached the roundabout in the left lane, indicating right to join the right lane and started to move into the gap which I'd identified both as I approached the roundabout and in my mirrors as I began my manoeuvre. For some reason the crazy Clio driver was determined to not let me in, in a blatant act of road rage & aggression, he sped up and tried to block me from joining into the gap before deliberately causing a collision, driving into the side of me. There was nothing I could do.

Without any independent witnesses how will any insurers know whether your version or his version is closest to the truth?

And mine will read completely differently. "For some reason the crazy Clio driver" is nonsense, I was changing lanes as I would normally and there is no way that the van driver checked his right side before moving that van. If he had done that, he'd have seen a black Clio with its right indicator on and paused to allow the Clio to make its move which it had the right of way to make before pulling his long vehicle out across both lanes of a busy roundabout at 08:50 in the morning. Could I have done something different to avoid the accident? Yes. Is it my fault that the accident happened in the first place? No.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't know you were changing lanes, perhaps I missed that post where it was mentioned. My understanding was that you were in the right hand lane going round to the right, and he was coming from the left hand lane to join yours.

From what you've just said, you were in the right hand lane and he was in the left, and you wanted to move to the left hand lane, and he to the right hand lane, is that correct?

However it plays out, I hope it doesn't cause you too much hassle in the long term but perhaps now is the time to start riding a bike to/from work...?

I-Music 1.5 DCi 86
He wasn't even on the roundabout when the incident started. Did you see the map I posted earlier? I was in the RH lane moving towards the left (inside of the roundabout) when he began pulling out of the junction. He was in the RH lane of the junction, but the LH lane of the junction only leads to the M1 on-slip and AFAIK it was clear when he pulled out because a BMW saloon pulled out and onto the on-slip as I was coming around towards them. That being the case, he could have moved over to the left if he saw a car coming up on his RHS which might hit him.

I've already mentioned that it's 30 miles to my part time job and I have maintenance contracts as far away as 50 miles, with a car full to bursting point with tools, installation and test equipment, so that's not going to be possible.

Last edited:
  Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
This will go 50/50 in my opinion. Anypother way to look at it is cost too. Is it cheaper for your insurance to stump up half of the bill, or to spend X amount on fighting his insurance company etc.

I-Music 1.5 DCi 86
Changed the title on post #44 to "Quote ALL THE POSTS!"

No he didn't LOL that was me when I posted it. His edit was removing the picture of a hot chick's bum in a bikini that Jack posted :D

Just started the claim and investigation with my insurer a few minutes ago. Here we go again :(

Last edited:
No he didn't LOL that was me when I posted it. His edit was removing the picture of a hot chick's bum in a bikini that Jack posted :D

Just started the claim and investigation with my insurer a few minutes ago. Here we go again :(

Oooh haha! I would expect a 50/50 mate, sorry to say but insurance want to spend as little money as possible so won't want to spend time/money on the case.

They're c***s like that!

I-Music 1.5 DCi 86
Yeah, the more I think about this the more I assume that it'll go that way. I don't want this happening again, so I've just ordered a dash cam. It'll be going in the car the day and hour it arrives.

Yeah, the more I think about this the more I assume that it'll go that way. I don't want this happening again, so I've just ordered a dash cam. It'll be going in the car the day and hour it arrives.

Please please please can you stop !!

Take a deep breath and try and understand.

Had you had a dash cam it would still go 50/50

I had a friend once very similar to you ,hell even i was similar at your age till i had a day with a class 1 police instructor.
He made me realise very quickly it was more often me , the situations i put myself in.
Please take the time and spend the money with some IAM or if you can afford it independant road courses ,thete are even performance road courses for high performance road car drivers and i have done one of those to.
You really will learn so much you will drive safer and reduce your insurance bill by not getting into scrapes.

You dont need a dashcam ,seriously

I-Music 1.5 DCi 86
No no no, you've misunderstood my reasoning for buying the dash cam and what I meant by saying "I don't want this happening again". As it stands, this incident is the word of the van driver against mine because no witnesses stopped to give their account at the scene, and as people in this thread have said it could even go slightly against me depending on how the accident investigation pans out. I am installing the dash cam so there is some evidence of what actually happened should I get into another scrape in the future, be it another driver or myself who is to blame. Don't assume I'm being stubborn, I'm not. If I was in the wrong, I'd admit it. I took full liability for a minor accident at Christmas time which was caused by a lapse in concentration (don't try to drive home after working 20 hours straight... Really) and I genuinely don't believe that I was to blame for the occurrence of this accident.

If this goes 50/50 I'm willing to accept that and move on. It's paint, metal and money at the end of the day. A few hours puts a lot of perspective on things and as fuming as I was this morning not only at the van driver not being willing to accept any responsibility at the scene but also at my car looking like a crumpled beer can, I'm more or less over it now and have accepted that whatever happens will happen. The car can be fixed, the investigator will rule how he sees fit and both parties escaped uninjured.

The fact you dont see you are to blame in any way is the problem
In every post where you have described what happened it has left a fair element of blame.

It started with going for the gap

The van was on the roundabout before you got to it , if he had pulled out right in front of you instinct would have lead you to brake and avoid.

And i only have what you have said and not the van drivers version of events.

So now do you understand where i am coming from.
I dont want to make you feel bad i am just trying to save you.

Your list of scrapes near misses and actual incidents by your own admission all point to there being something to address .

I just think you could help yourself