ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RUK recall letter received today?

E46 M3, Clio 182
Got mine checked changed a few weeks ago.

Although the check was free (under warranty), they charged me £55 for fitting the new catch! :dapprove:

E46 M3, Clio 182
Well i fell for it and forked out the £55.. it’s not too bad considering the possibilities of what could of happened if i hadn’t changed it.

Clio 172
Mine had a service yesterday before I head off to the Ring on Wednesday. Advised the bonnet catch to be replaced as its rusty. Its all been greased and works fine though. I have rang Renault and they cant get it in before Wednesday. Had the car 3 years and no problems with the catch. Dont know whether to go the scrapy and get one and replace it before I go or if i'm just being paranoid :S

172 cup
They tried that with me too in Perth Renault I quoted him a few health and safety lines and was against my human rights bla bla and said was going too phone trading standards and citizens advice too see where I stood as felt I should pay for renaults mistakes boom all of a sudden it was free of charge

mine just failed, luckily I was not driving when it happened i was on my drive. Luckily Renault are only round the corner but decided to take a look myself. So simple to do and easy to see why it fails and how to fix it.

I quoted the above because if memory serves correct, with a known fault the consumer has 6 years to get it fixed by the manufacturer iirc, when I got my car it was 5 years old and I took it in to be checked, they fitted a new cable & catch foc, as it was within the 6 years. Now the question is as my catch isn't 6 yrs old, is it still covered as a known fault, yes, should I pay? No, as it's still within the 6 year period

Simply put if your car has had an inspection/replacement within the first 6 years, has been maintened correctly you should not have to pay.

If you car hasn't been checked in the first 6 years or the dealership can prove the mechanism has not been maintened correctly you will have to pay

this is my understanding of the matter, it may not be correct but definitely worth checking as may save you from paying

172 Cup
Hi Nicky, would you please mind explaining pretty please, (a) how to check if it's been done and (b) why it fails?
Mine has a sticker on the bonnet (inside :)) that says "renault inspection" or something but there's a space for a date to be filled in and it's not filled in but I don't know if it's related.
I've not got a recall letter and you'd think there'd be some sticker or something right?

182 FF & 197 F1 #164
Finally had mine done last Wednesday. They said they'd come out to 'inspect' it on the forecourt and decide if it needed doing. The guy took one look at it and immediately said it would be 10 minutes!! No hassle, didn't even show the letter and more importantly, no fee! :)

172 cup
Hi Nicky, would you please mind explaining pretty please, (a) how to check if it's been done and (b) why it fails?
Mine has a sticker on the bonnet (inside :)) that says "renault inspection" or something but there's a space for a date to be filled in and it's not filled in but I don't know if it's related.
I've not got a recall letter and you'd think there'd be some sticker or something right?

(A) I just went to Renault dealers and asked if it had been done, that said it wasn't on the system and looked at the car there and then. After it was changed I got a receipt with part numbers ect which I keep with other service/parts paperwork

(b) a little difficult to explain but I'll have a go, the round hole the spring part of the bonnet catch goes through has a flat plate which is sprung loaded, when you pull the bonnet release lever it pulls the plate back to let the bonnet pop up on to the secondary catch. The pivot point for the plate is like a rivet which is greased up, the grease over time goes hard or disappears leaving the pivot to corrode and stick. This is what the problem is, the plate doesn't return fully and the bonnet can pop up. Once I removed the catch I worked it free with a screw driver just replicating the action the cable would do until it snapped back freely, reassembled and check the release lever and you could tell the difference straight away, the lever was pulling itself down rather than feeling tight and stiff

​hope that helps

172 Cup
Yes thanks, that helps. I thought it might be down to that plate as it looks a tad gungey on mine. I failed a bit at figuring out how the plate moved but I've just realised I could always pull the cable and see what happens :D
Will try to have a look at it later then and maybe give a dealer a call.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I have two clios in the house and they both had theirs done FOC @ Renault Watford. They both had the same letter with no prices on it.

The 1.2 had a sticker on it beforehand suggesting it had been looked at before. The 172 had nothing.

172cup
When I ran them up the other day they said if I needed a new one its going to cost £95 lol get them on eBay for less then half that

172 Cup
Spoke to my local dealer, gave them the VIN and they said it's never been done but if it needs doing it'll be free of charge. Should have got that in writing...
Got it booked in for two weeks from yesterday.
Seemed pretty straightforward.

Clio 182 FF
I went into Renault at the weekend asking about the catch on my cup and was told it would not be eligible for the free catch because they are only replacing 03 plate onwards. Anyone else heard this crap?

172cup
Yep was in the letter they sent me £95 lol they sell catches on eBay there from £16/30 just need the part number to match the latch lol

Had mine replaced free of charge at Jaybee renault in Banbury last weekend.
They also performed a 21 point check. I imagine trying to drum up some work. Unfortunately for them everything they reccomended is being taken care of by s & mwn on the 3rd of June.

172 Cup
Got mine replaced yesterday, free of charge despite never seeing a letter. They replaced the top bit that goes on the bonnet its self and covered everything with a f**k ton of WD-40, I swear they must have emptied several cans on it. Proper job. :rolleyes:

Clio 1.9 DTi Si
had a letter for my car, took it in to be checked at Jaybee Renault Banbury, where they conducted a 25 point check for free as well, not impressed, as was given car back with them saying that the catch had been done and that id need to pay 70 quid, as cable as also ineffective, and was also quoted £200-300 for other work, such as a puncture that didn't exist, car was given back with greasy hand prints all over the bodywork, wasn't very happy!, is it right that i should have to pay for a catch if its been replaced before!?

172 Cup
Did you agree to do them doing any work other than the recall catch replacement?
If not they haven't got a leg to stand on. I'd be inclined to drop a note to their pay masters.

Clio 1.9 DTi Si
Did you agree to do them doing any work other than the recall catch replacement?
If not they haven't got a leg to stand on. I'd be inclined to drop a note to their pay masters.

I haven't had any work done at all, not even the bonnet catch, done washers, dog bone mount etc myself, with parts sourced myself, just not sure whether I should have to pay for the bonnet catch? :S

172 Cup
I'm confused, they're asking you to pay for the catch and telling you it's been done but it hasn't?

Not sure how washers and dog bone come into this?

Clio 1.9 DTi Si
I'm confused, they're asking you to pay for the catch and telling you it's been done but it hasn't?

Not sure how washers and dog bone come into this?

sorry I confused it a bit, I will have to pay to have the bonnet catch replaced because it has already been replaced while the car was not in my ownership
the washers and dog bone were some of the many supposed faults diagnosed in the complimentary check carried out at the same time, so not entirely relevant sorry, was just a little confused with the results of the checks! :dapprove:

172 Cup
Erm, so are they saying you have to pay because it has been done before or because the cable is inoperative?
I'd try another dealer if I was you, phone them up, give them your vin, they will tell you if it is subject to a recall.
I used sutton park in coventry, which might be a bit far for you and they didn't give me a free 25 point check but they didn't try to screw me either.

Apologies for the thread resurrection but I have just had a letter from RUK which basically says 'we sent you a letter earlier in the year and Royal Mail couldn't say if you signed it or not so we have sent you another (which I have had to retrieve from the collections office).

It also says you could be charged up to £95 for any work to be carried out on the bonnet catch, cheeky b*stards! Makes no odds to me as I got it done when I first got the letter but...if you have a card from the postie saying you have something to collect signed for don't be disappointed when its just a letter from RUK!!!

Clio 182
I know this is kind of old news now, but when these letters were being sent out I owned a 1.2 Clio ph2 and received one of these letters through the post. I checked the catch and all looked to be ok so I thought nothing else of it. I've since upgraded to an early 05 plate 182, I checked the bonnet catch and it looks like its about to fall apart! Ive since phoned my local Renault dealership to query weather this car was included within the recall but they didn't seem to know anything of the letter I was referring to. Renault tried to assure me that I had nothing to worry about but I'm still not convinced.. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
What help do you want exactly?

I got a letter about my cars free health check yesterday! Yeah... right.