ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running 2 Amps

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
easy to say mate, as that means ive gotta pull all my sill up to get to my amp power cable and that means to put it back down i've gotta unbolt the seats again, too much hassle just for a sub.

I know the feeling mate, been there, dont that.

If its the first time you have done this then I can assure you the second time always seems alot easier and quicker!

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
So does that mean that i wouldnt have to run 2 power cables to the battery, just put my 8awg cable in the one end and put another 8awg cable or 4awg coming out for my other amp?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Use a 4-guage power wire going in, and two 8-guage power wires coming out.

Thats what it says in the advert. Its also what Dink says and he does know his stuff, do you not believe him? Why do you have to unbolt a seat?

Go and buy a 4awg wire, take out 8awg, drill bigger hole put 4awg cable in wire up to a distrubiton block similar to the 1 in the ebay and then cut your old 4awg to go from the dis block to both amps. If it was any simpler than that you could do it whilst asleep!

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
Doesnt matter now mate just emailed a seller on ebay whos selling one of those blocks and he said i can have 1 x 8awg cable going in and 2 x 8awg cables going out so i can have 2 amps now after all.

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
Yeah another 450w amp, but the seller on ebay said that it would be fine with the fuse splitter (1 8awg in and 2 8awg out) with 2 different fuses.

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
Response from xtremeo
Item: FUSED DISTRIBUTION BLOCK, FUSE HOLDER !2FREE FUSES ! (5829754711)
This message was sent while the listing was active.
xtremeo is the seller.

"the block will take up tp 4awg which is the biggest size cable it will take it will easily take 8 gauge wire, and it is definately 2 8awg out for you amps.dave."

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
Yeah but in the email before that he said that you could replace the 4awg cable with a 8awg, he said it was upto 4awg so 8awg would be fine.

Take it from us, use 4awg not 8awg.

Do you want to risk damage to your equipment or even worse your car going up on fire?

Without wishing to sound cheeky do you understand the principles of why you have to use a thicker cable?

Steve

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
richard691 said:
Yeah but in the email before that he said that you could replace the 4awg cable with a 8awg, he said it was upto 4awg so 8awg would be fine.

Yes he said you could and he is right you could put 8awg in it without a problem BUT the moment you then run 2 amps off 1 8awg from the battery you will explode and be found in outer space with an expression on your face that says "Damn shoulda listened to those guys on cliosport"

Well maybe not but it does depend on this 1 question- Do you want your car to go on fire? If your answer is yes please go ahead use 8awg from the battery, if no then FOR F U C K S SAKE use 4awg. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Valver..
sounds like peeps makin it harder then it is....im a sparky and wen i ran 2 amps in the back of my car i had the main power cable running from the battery to the biggest amp and then just looped cables from the 1000w amp terminals to the 300w amp terminals, did a cable cal and both cables could cope with the Ampage....dont see wats soo hard..probs not the correct way to do it..but it worked and it was simple!!

Polo + Micra
clio head said:
sounds like peeps makin it harder then it is....im a sparky and wen i ran 2 amps in the back of my car i had the main power cable running from the battery to the biggest amp and then just looped cables from the 1000w amp terminals to the 300w amp terminals, did a cable cal and both cables could cope with the Ampage....dont see wats soo hard..probs not the correct way to do it..but it worked and it was simple!!

well just for you (from one spark to another)

2x450wRMS= 900wRMS

I=P/v I= 900/14 I=64.28A /0.6(for effiency) = 107A

now would you want to sit in a car with something pulling 107A down some 10mm2?

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
clio head said:

Thats what I was on about, couldnt I do that?

Valver..
rrrr seee...i didnt use a 10mm cable...lool... your ment to use a 25mm cable i worked it out to be, but running that down a side of a car seemed stupid so a opted for a 16mm cable i no the rating is only some thing like 76 amps (enclosed in a conduit on or in a wall or in trucking etc) oooo i used me regs book. i know its a lil low but never had a problem!

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
ok cheers anyway mate, i'll just have to take my 8awg cable out and replace it with a 4awg cable. F**k sake.

You want to run a 2awg cable...nah only kidding m8 :p

Glad you're going for the sensible option, I hope things go well with the install this time :)

Valver..
sorry dude...wat u could try.....not sayin it will work is tape both cables together and pull it through from the front well to the boot...depends if you have used the clips or not.....never done a cup sooo dont no how it laid out mk1 im spot on with!! he he :D:D:D:D

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Pic%205.jpg

Thats the way its shown on the cs guide. I have 2 8awg running in the car for my 2 amps so i pulled the grommit out and out them next to it but you MUST use a rubber grommit or it can rub through the cable and short out the system. If you do try to go through the grommit this time you really need t cut it in the middle to get it through.

mk1 RT
EvilJohn said:
But the 8awg IS NOT BIG ENOUGH for running 2 amps-its DANGEROUS

mine is like that and after half hour of having it connected the power cable got very hot and the battery was warm also it started to melt the cars loom near the battery so i disconected it and i now need to buy some thicker cable

at the mo its 8 awg in two 8 awg out i have completly removed the main 8 awg supply

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
I couldnt get my 8awg cable to go through the grommet as there wasnt a hiole in it, so i had to make a new hole which is behind the braking system, dont really want to make that any bigger really, i dont think im going to bother with a sub now to be honest unless i just power it from the same amp as im using for my 6x9s.