ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running 2 Amps

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
I've just fitted an amp for my speakers and it took me ages to get the wiring perfectly down the door sill and now I want to buy a sub and realised I need to wire up another amp. Is there a way that I can run the second amp from the original one I installed because I cant be bothered to do all the wiring again plus I havent got another 2 phono sockets on the back of my headunit free to use nor have i got another remote wire?

Civic type R
you can use the cables if:

1 - Your power cable is thick enough,

If it is to thin it wont be able to deliver enough power to each am, it will get hot and possibly melt the insulation causing obvious damage,

2 - You amp has pass out,

If you amp has another set of RCA terminals on which say PASS OUT, this takes the incoming signal and allows it to "pass out" of the amp into another,

If not you could use a set of "Y" adaptor leads, about £3 each.

3 - You can loop of you existing remote cable, it will do 2 amps ok, any more and you may need a relay to turn them on.

Steve

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
so i could just connect a wire from the remote wire on my amp to the remote out on my other amp, so i wouldnt have to run any more wires down to the head unit or would i need to for the sub?

2.0 175dci rs meggy
2 gauge is what u want ideally for two amps but then it also depends on what the rating of your amps are!!!

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
isnt it thick enough, took me ages to drill a hole to get it through into the engine bay, dont want to have to do it again.

2.0 175dci rs meggy
depends what amps you are running???

im running two v12 alpines and they are well thirsty on current drain!!

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
ive currently got a 450w amp but want to get another amp which would be 1000w.

Polo + Micra
i wouldn't pull much more than about 50A down 10mm2

which about 420wRMS output for class ab (normal amps) OR

525wRMS output for a class d (monoblock amps)

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
i havent been out to get another amp, i currently have a 450w infinity amp so what do you think i should get wattage wise which the power cable will handle?

Polo + Micra
that should be ok on 8 a.w.g

if you was to get a 1000w? amp then you would need another run of 4 a.w.g

Polo + Micra
well you say you have a 450w(is that RMS?) amp on there at the mo

you could but if it is for a sub then it is going to be piss poor

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
Yes its 450w rms, so i gonna have to run a 2nd power cable to the battery, so more holes to be drilled?

One with a few more
yep. in vague description, 8awg cant really take more than 600w, and even that is pushing it sometimes.
You NEED to run 4awg imo. and probably some RCA if you have no passout

Polo + Micra
i don't see how you need to drill holes. i used the grommet but then i did use 8 a.w.g x3

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
Mine wouldnt fit through the grommet had to drill a hole and i dont want to have loads of holes in my car.

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
So what about if i get a length of new power cable and join it from the power terminal on the new amp to the power terminal on my old amp, would that be ok because then, i could have 2 fuses in the circuit, dont know what amp fuses to use though?

Polo + Micra
you will still be using the same length running from your batt which won't be up to the job

Polo + Micra
Dink said:
i wouldn't pull much more than about 50A down 10mm2

which about 420wRMS output for class ab (normal amps) OR

525wRMS output for a class d (monoblock amps)

this is the absolute max for 8 a.w.g:)mad::mad::mad:)

Take 8awg cable out, make existing hole bigger run 4awg through to a distribution block in the rear and there you go. Easy Peasy :)