ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running in a CUP

Civic Type R-GT (2007)

Hi all,

Will be taking delivery of my new Cup on tuesday, just wandering if anyone knows if they need to be run in at all?

Got my 172 today and the manual says less than 3500Rpm and less than 80 for the first 625 miles :( still its up to you. Some say if you drive them hard they free up better. Depends how long you want to keep the car for I guess. ANything in the first two/three years is warranty. Then if it aint yours its not your problem....;)

Civic Type R-GT (2007)

hmmm really dont think im gonna be able to restrain myself from giving it some stick for that long, will try my best tho! :D

U happy with yours?

Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated!

My dealer told me there was no need to run it in, just make sure the temperatures were up to running temps before thrashing it.

Which I did!

Civic Type R-GT (2007)

Yea sounds good, ill take it easy for a bit then gradually work it in.

Its great on here, so many people have different ideas, its a fountain of knowlege hehe.

Cheers guys!

hmmmmm

personally....

follow that bullsh*t 3500 or 80mph rule for the first 150 miles, then do what u like mate, APART from ragging it when it aint up to temperture! i got my new clio about 3 weeks ago, already done 2k miles, so trust me, if u really wanna follow the handbook (which will have a HUGE margin of error to cover their backside) then it wont take too long to reach that!!!
anyways, ive done 2k and thrash it from time to time, but never when it aint warmed up!

How likely is it that Renault will be able to tell what youve done and when? I think if it breaks they should fix it, but I must admit I have taken it fairly easy so far. Its hard though!

Rag it from day 1 mate. Itll be the poor f**ker who buys the car in 5 years time wholl have the problems, not you. Enjoy your motor!!!!

Remember that its not just the engine that your running in, its the gearbox, brakes, wheel bearings and other working parts too!

The 1k mile run in will ensure that these parts are working properly.

Tony

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by TB11 on 19 October 2003

Remember that its not just the engine that your running in, its the gearbox, brakes, wheel bearings and other working parts too!

The 1k mile run in will ensure that these parts are working properly.
Wise words Tony...

Ok the engine should not be your prime concern.

Remember the brakes. I managed to Overheat the disks on day 3, and now i have 2 put up with 15k miles of squeling brakes